• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

r-calf owning Cdn. Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly said:
Well, don't I feel stupid! I never looked to see who wrote it, I just read it. Sorry.

Any wife that spends all night helping calve could never be considered stupid-- Very appreciated-yes..... :)

Oldtimer said:
Shelly said:
Well, don't I feel stupid! I never looked to see who wrote it, I just read it. Sorry.

Any wife that spends all night helping calve could never be considered stupid-- Very appreciated-yes..... :)

And a speacial lady...............good luck

Shelly said:
Ahh! You two are making me blush! :oops:

I have always liked to see a pretty girl blush..........who knows maybe ILL see you some day.Well better head upstairs before a big canuckle head finds out I been telling his secrets in the coffe shop.............good luck & good nite

O.K., so finding out who is buying what, is more complicated than it first appears. The person I spoke with (at an Alberta stockyards) said that, because of order buyers, it can be hard to know for whom the cattle are being purchased. He said that all of a sudden, somebody will have a few million dollars to spend at the sale(s) and there is no way of really finding out where the money came from. Therefore, when those cattle go into a feed yard, the feeder might not even know who the real owner is.

And if an r-calfer owns them, does anybody expect that they are going to stand up and announce it?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
O.K., so finding out who is buying what, is more complicated than it first appears. The person I spoke with (at an Alberta stockyards) said that, because of order buyers, it can be hard to know for whom the cattle are being purchased. He said that all of a sudden, somebody will have a few million dollars to spend at the sale(s) and there is no way of really finding out where the money came from. Therefore, when those cattle go into a feed yard, the feeder might not even know who the real owner is.

Maple Leaf- Same thing happens down here- Some investor gets a few hundred thousand dollars laying around they need to invest to escape some taxes and they buy up a few loads of cattle--Usually are put in some company, corporate, or partnership name-- One of the feedlot owners told me that if it wasn't for the investor cattle that he feeds for them, that he wouldn't keep his doors open...

One of the feedlot operations not far from me is owned by a Canadian firm- I always wondered if they were R-CALF members.... Last week they sold several put together lots of bred cows- nice looking cows for a put together consignment-- but the joke at the ring that day was what hole in the fence they had found and where the pile of Canadian tags was........

Manitoba_Rancher said:
what is the name of the firm OT?And what province are they out of?

Vold Jones Vold (VJV) out of Alberta-- they have done a lot of business down here for years and seem like straight shooters-- I went to college with one of their buyers-- they have purchased quite a few cattle out of here over the years-- I think some went to Canada, some I know went to local feedlots......

OT- that would be some joke, wouldn't it.

Really, if it were not for the dent this whole thing has put in my pocketbook, I would say that I'm taking this thing far too seriously.

woranch said:
Shelly said:
I was discussing these R-calf buggers with my husband at lunch time and he came up with a very good question. Where are they keeping these cheap cows because they sure as hell didn't go across the border?

I heard that the canadian goverment was leasing goverment land to them.

That was just for burial plots..

frenchie said:
woranch said:
Shelly said:
I was discussing these R-calf buggers with my husband at lunch time and he came up with a very good question. Where are they keeping these cheap cows because they sure as hell didn't go across the border?

I heard that the canadian goverment was leasing goverment land to them.

That was just for burial plots..

OH thats right .. they have to bury all them BSE cows somewhere ...

Dissident Ranchers On Mad Cows: 'Do As I Say ...'

Last year the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund (R-CALF), a small group of dissident cattle ranchers, joined assorted mad-cow-disease scaremongers like Ralph Nader's Public Citizen and Consumers Union at a joint press conference to claim that North American beef was "unsafe." When the same group successfully sued the federal government last month, temporarily blocking the U.S. from importing Canadian cattle (again citing mad cow disease as a pretext), naked self-interest and trade protectionism were widely cited as its real motivation. The question was left hanging: Did R-CALF care more about food safety or the profits of its members? We now have the answer.
The Canadian Press (CP) reported yesterday that three U.S. ranchers who were "significant contributors" to R-CALF's litigation fund -- the same money that forced the USDA to keep Canadian cows north of the border -- quietly "bought up cheap cows in Canada after the devastating ban" was reinforced by the court last week.

CP reporter Beth Gorham's story continues:

Some in Canada are furious, saying R-CALF members have exploited a crisis they helped to create. "It's not illegal but their ethics are terrible," said Ontario beef producer John Lunn from Norwood. "I've had enough. I have no use for these guys." Rick Paskal, a feedlot owner in Lethbridge, Alberta, said group members "recognized an opportunity for their own personal economic gain. They were absolutely not concerned about food safety."
We can all savor this irony. While R-CALF continues to argue that lifting the ban on Canadian cattle imports would expose Americans to an unnecessary risk -- the group has even called for the border to be sealed to live cattle for seven years -- its most prominent members appear perfectly willing to embrace that "risk" if it comes attached to a paycheck.

they hate to be exposed, lets keep it up

More on this topic...reporters don't seem to want to let this one lie quietly.
~
R-CALF bought, sold beef in Canada
Posted Mar 09, 2005 - 10:07 AM

By JIM GRANSBERY
Of The Billings Gazette

Some members of R-CALF, which has sued to keep Canadian live cattle from entering the United States because of alleged risk to animal health and consumer safety, have bought and sold cattle in Canada after the border was closed in May 2003 when a cow with bovine spongiform encephalopathy was discovered in Alberta.

"This is a red herring," Leo McDonnell Jr., said Tuesday of criticism in Canada this week. "Or there is something I am missing here." Rick Paskal, a feedlot operator in Lethbridge, Alberta, told the Canadian Press this week that "members (of R-CALF) recognized an economic opportunity for their own gain. They were absolutely not concerned about food safety."

He told The Gazette Tuesday he thought they were being hypocrites for playing both sides of the border.

McDonnell said R-CALF members doing business in Canada but opposing those cattle coming here seems to be OK. He noted that they have done business in Canada for years, as have other U.S. cattlemen who are not members of the Billings-based R-CALF, the Ranchers Cattlemen Action Legal Fund.

McDonnell, of Columbus and president of R-CALF, said he did not see any contradiction in the actions of those members.

R-CALF last week convinced U.S. District Richard Cebull in Billings to issue a preliminary injunction preventing the U.S. Department of Agriculture from opening the border as planned last Monday to Canadian live cattle under 30 months of age.

Canadian beef, in the form of boneless muscle cuts from animals under 30 months of age, have been coming into the United States since August 2003, when the USDA relaxed its restrictions following the discovery of BSE or mad cow disease in the Alberta cow. Since then, another three animals with BSE have been identified in Canada.

During the court hearing last week, an attorney for the Justice Department representing the USDA acknowledged that the amount of boxed beef of de-boned muscle cuts coming into the United States since August 2003 was 96 percent of the trade that existed before the border was closed.

R-CALF member Lloyd DeBruycker, of Dutton, said Tuesday he has about 150 head of feeder cattle in Canada now.

He said he did not see any contradiction owning and selling cattle in Canada and opposing live imports.

DeBruycker said last year he had a Canadian packer refuse to slaughter the cattle he had in a Canadian feedlot. He said the packer refused not just because he was a member of R-CALF, but "they were not killing for any Americans."

Norm Haaland, a Billings feedlot operator, said last May he had to sell his fed steers in Canada to another feeder at "half of their market." The cattle were eventually sold and slaughtered. He has no cattle in Canada now, he said.

Haaland said he found no contradiction on those cattle going into the beef market, with at least some of it coming south as boxed beef.

"They should have been glad we were up there," he said.

Both DeBruycker and Haaland have donated money to R-CALF and its legal efforts.

Haaland said he had given less than $10,000. DeBruycker said his family had given more than $10,000.

"Not just for the suit, but for their overall use," he said. "We have given $1 a head for the cattle we own just like the beef check-off. R-CALF has done a tremendous job of getting the grassroots opinions out.

"I hope the government and USDA start paying attention to the people, the ranchers, out in the country," he said.

Tom Lane, a rancher/cattle buyer in Livingston, said he has traded cattle in Canada in the past but has no cattle there now.

"We contracted for some yearlings last summer, but we did not get them because the border did not open."

Lane related a confrontation he had with a Canadian producer at a sale yard in Lethbridge last summer.

"I had an R-CALF sticker on my pickup," Lane said. "This guy really got in my face and it almost came to blows." Lane's wife is Canadian and they were north visiting her family, he said. Lane says he has donated about $1,200 to R-CALF.

Also along the border there have been prevalent rumors that Billings livestock auction yard owner Pat Goggins owns numerous cattle north of the border.

Goggins said Tuesday, "I sure don't. Last summer I told (Prime Minister Paul) Martin that I'd pay $10,000 for every cow you can find in Canada that I owned.

"I never have," he said. "I have enough troubles without crossing that line."

Goggins owns both the Public Auction Yards and the Billings Livestock Commission Co., the two largest livestock auctions in Montana. He has hosted an R-CALF benefit sale at PAYS.

Live cattle imports from Canada were halted in May 2003 when a BSE-infected cow was identified in Alberta. In January, two other cases of BSE in Canada were reported.

In December 2003, a cow in Washington state was found with BSE. That cow came from an Alberta dairy herd. Nevertheless, foreign buyers of U.S. beef closed their borders to imports from the United States. Japan, the largest buyer of U.S. beef, has said it will open its borders to U.S. beef from cattle between 12 and 17 months, but has set no date for resumption of trade.

R-CALF contends in its lawsuit there are volumes of scientific data that suggest Canada's risk status should not be considered minimal.

Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is a brain-wasting disease that causes the animal to lose its neuromuscular control.

~

Take care.

Latest posts