• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF Runs Ad in the "Washington Post"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bull Burger

Reaction score
Another Step Closer

R-CALF Runs Ad in the "Washington Post"

Further ratcheting up their campaign, R-CALF on Tuesday, March 15 placed an ad in the Washington Post raising questions and uncertainties about "mad cow," taking their message directly to the American public.

Using words and phrases like "fatal disease," "high-risk" and "uncertainties" in USDA's knowledge of BSE, it is the latest effort to scare U.S. consumers about BSE - bought, paid for and placed on purpose, in a nationally circulated newspaper published in the city that sets national policy.

The ad's subhead reminds consumers that four Canadian cows have been identified with mad cow, two of them reported in January. Continually trying to muddle the statistical probabilities for consumers, R-CALF never mentions that no cases were reported for a year between the Washington state (U.S.) cow and the most recent cases.

Not surprisingly, the ad quotes from Judge Cebull's inaccurate and misleading opinion granting the temporary injunction against the Final Rule in early March. The quote refers to a "rush to reopen the border regardless of uncertainties in the agency's knowledge of the possible impacts on human and animal health." This after nearly 20 years of worldwide research and multiple recent examinations of Canada's entire feed and beef producing system.

The ad also misleadingly quotes an Inspector General's report that had nothing to do with the Final Rule.

The ad further states, under a photo of a cowboy, "Our high health standards are needed to protect consumers, the beef industry and U.S. jobs." Once again, R-CALF is reinforcing the idea that USDA, the agency that surveys indicate consumers (rightfully) trust to safeguard their food, can't be trusted on "mad cow." (The ad never uses the proper abbreviation BSE, instead continuing to foster the fear of the mysterious "mad cow.") The message is that consumers should only listen to R- CALF - no one else knows what they're doing or can be trusted.

While that insidious campaign against the concept of consumers trusting USDA is the worst part of the whole ad, their claims of safeguarding U.S. jobs is astounding, given the reality. R-CALF's efforts have been directly responsible for extending shift cutbacks and elimination of others at packers nationwide and threatening the existence of border packers that depend on cattle supply from both sides of the border. By constantly suing USDA, R-CALF has extended the border closure from short-term to a long-term situation. That has induced the permanent export of packing industry jobs from the U.S. to Canada.

The ramped up expansion of packing capacity in Canada is exacerbating the current excess packing capacity in the U.S. Worse still, it means Canada will, in another year or so, be nearly self-sufficient in packing capacity. That will put more pressure on U.S. packers facing an even smaller supply of cattle than the normal cycle level. Plants operating at less than the optimal slaughter rate lose money. The effect is likely to be further contraction of U.S. packing capacity, either through plant closings or further mergers and more concentration of the packing industry. That is not protecting U.S. jobs or helping preserve packer customers for U.S. cattle feeders and, in turn, calf producers.

Once Canadian cattlemen no longer need U.S. packing plants at all, the not inconsiderable ill-will R- CALF has engendered is also likely to affect Canada's willingness to trade in grain, feeder cattle or to feed cattle in U.S. feedlots. Not sitting on their hands, large amounts of private funding and $87 million in government funding is being assembled to boost marketing of Canadian beef. Since Canada is the only other significant source of high-quality, grain-fed beef besides the U.S., it is a safe assumption that Canada will be a more aggressive competitor in the world market- and have the cattle and packing capacity to back it up. The relationship, the competitive situation - and the motivation - will never be the same again.

And what effect is all this tumult having on the prospects of opening the Japanese markets? In an "Inside Washington Today" column from Informa Economics, Inc., Jim Weisemeyer reports that in direct conversations with Japanese trade officials, they said R-CALF actions have contributed to delaying the opening of the Japanese market. Wiesemeyer said the officials told him that R-CALF's harping on the risk of Canadian beef was increasing Japanese consumer concern about U.S. beef, as they view the risk as similar. And if R-CALF doesn't trust the international SRM standards, Japanese consumers are questioning why they should either.

If you look at the BSE situation from the world perspective, as borne out by the statistics, it's not hard to see why the Japanese might consider the U.S. and Canada as similar situations, compared to the U.K. R-CALF has contended that Canada could be another U.K. Here is the data from the OIE (World Animal Health Organization) website, regarding the beginning of BSE respective discovery cycles:

First year* BSE cases:

U.K.......Canada.....U.S.

Second year BSE cases:

U.K.........Canada.........U.S.

2,514..........1**..........0

Third Year BSE cases:

U.K..........Canada........U.S.

*First Year" for U.K. - 1987, Canada - 2003. "First Year" for U.S. for comparison illustration only. U.S. has no reported indigenous cases to date.

**the OIE counts the 3rd Canadian case as reported in Dec. 2004.

We were surprised to learn that R-CALF had even met with the Japanese or that they were reportedly perplexed to learn they were part of the problem, not the solution. Their stated position has been that R- CALF's focus is the domestic market and that the cattle market has done just fine without exports. In their opinion, keeping the border closed has been virtually the only factor driving cattle prices. They don't consider reduced cattle numbers, the economy, alliances and branded beef, high protein diets and new products as having to do with the strength of demand and cattle prices.

R-CALF is very proud of the effect it has had on the national and international scene the last couple of years. Not a day goes by that that pride is harder and harder for many cattlemen to understand. R- CALF's actions are becoming more and more threatening to the well-being of the entire beef industry. We only hope their fixation on imports composing a tiny fraction of the market does not turn into a death wish for the entire American beef chain.

For those receiving their e-mail as HTML, click on the links before to view OIE charts. The first link is for the U.K. chart. Second link is for rest of world. The third link is to a graphic of the ad, posted on the AFF website.

UK BSE Report - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=tpigdabab.0.fkh6dabab.tv7p5a44.4799&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oie.int%2Feng%2Finfo%2Fen_esbru.htm

Rest of World - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=tpigdabab.0.hkh6dabab.tv7p5a44.4799&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oie.int%2Feng%2Finfo%2Fen_esbmonde.htm

R-CALF Washington Post ad - http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=tpigdabab.0.ikh6dabab.tv7p5a44.4799&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.agribusinessfreedom.com%2Femail%2FRcalfWPostAd.jpg

The Agribusiness Freedom Foundation promotes free market principles throughout the agricultural food chain. The AFF believes it is possible to value the traditions and heritage of the past while embracing the future and the changes it brings. The AFF is a communications and educational initiative striving to preserve the freedom of the agricultural food chain to operate and innovate in order to continue the success of American agriculture.

The AFF - freedom watchdog for American agriculture.

Agribusiness Freedom Foundation
AFF: Promoting free market principles throughout the agricultural food chain.

All I can say to that is I'm glad they aren't using any of MY MONEY to scare consumers from eating beef.

GEEZZZZZZZZZZ! Are they so numb they can't figure out what they are creating. Like SH says, they will use any means to keep the border closed!!! R-CALF is scarier than BSE!

Those of you who have donated $$$ to R-calf should be proud of yourselves... your not only ruining the industry in Canada but your doing a damn fine job of it in the USA!!!!!!! People will be quitting eating beef and eating more chicken and pork!

This isn't the grassroots cowboy/rancher talking in those ads, its the strange bed fellows that are truly bank rolling the R-Calf movement. PETA, the Consumers Federation of America, the Consumers Union, and Public Citizen.

They are the ones that are putting the fear of beef in the forefront. They are the ones egging the lawyers on and telling the American Cattlemen that its all for the good of their pocket book. Thats just plain BS............ and if it keeps up much longer the only thing that will be on a cattleman's shopping list will be Preparation H for taking it up the ass by all these anti beef, anti farming groups that R-Calf have lined up with.

What??? No R-Calfers stepping up to somehow rationalize what a great idea it was to do this?

I wish to e-mail this to a few folks, but can't get it done. Can someone help me? I just click on the envelope and click on 'send page.' Then I get a window that says there is errors on the script~I don't understand what is wrong. Would appreciate some help. Thanks!

Faster horses said:
I wish to e-mail this to a few folks, but can't get it done. Can someone help me? I just click on the envelope and click on 'send page.' Then I get a window that says there is errors on the script~I don't understand what is wrong. Would appreciate some help. Thanks!

Faster horses, here's the link for the original article, when you get there click on the envelope in the upper right hand corner and fill in the blanks, and it will be e-mailed for you.

http://www.agribusinessfreedom.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=49

Sorry FH, that's what you were doing I think. I tried it and it worked fine, are you having any luck?

O.K. Oldtimer, Haymaker, Sandhusker, Rancher and all you other fine R-Calf members, give us your usual bulls!%t routine. Tell us how misunderstood R-Calf is and that they are being taken out of context. Lets see you defend your chosen group now.

Is NCBA so scared of R-Calf they will be willing to let this one slide as well?

Bill: "Is NCBA so scared of R-Calf they will be willing to let this one slide as well?"

It's not NCBA's job to curb R-CALF's stupidity.

NCBA has taken their position on the issue which is conditional reopening of the Canadian border. I don't agree with all their directives either particularly #11.

~SH~

"It's not NCBA's job to curb R-CALF's stupidity."

I totally disagree SH. When Canada's May 2003 BSE case was announced, NCBA was "Johnny on the spot" informing US consumers of the facts. Since San Antonio they seem willing to let R-Calf have free reign with the press.

If it isn't NCBA's (we are told they are the voice of the beef industry in the US) job to get the truth out there, whose is it?

R-Calf is walking a fine line that is about to break. When BSE AKA "mad cow" pops up in the U.S., what will R-Calf's stance be then. "Well, it's an American BSE case so that means that it is less harmful, by the way, we were just kidding about mad cow being bad for you, it's actually good for you"
Whoever supports this BS group of anti socials should seriously look in the mirror. Look what your dollars are doing for you. Your $1000 just told the yuppies in Washington the scary side of eating beef.
I could put that money to better use. Give me $500, I'll go out back kick you in the groin and we'll call it even. Seems like a better deal to me.

Bill said:
O.K. Oldtimer, Haymaker, Sandhusker, Rancher and all you other fine R-Calf members, give us your usual bulls!%t routine. Tell us how misunderstood R-Calf is and that they are being taken out of context. Lets see you defend your chosen group now.

Is NCBA so scared of R-Calf they will be willing to let this one slide as well?

The whole article seems like SH wrote it. I don't put much stock in it. Example:

Article by unnamed author"While that insidious campaign against the concept of consumers trusting USDA is the worst part of the whole ad, their claims of safeguarding U.S. jobs is astounding, given the reality. R-CALF's efforts have been directly responsible for extending shift cutbacks and elimination of others at packers nationwide and threatening the existence of border packers that depend on cattle supply from both sides of the border. By constantly suing USDA, R-CALF has extended the border closure from short-term to a long-term situation. That has induced the permanent export of packing industry jobs from the U.S. to Canada.

The ramped up expansion of packing capacity in Canada is exacerbating the current excess packing capacity in the U.S. Worse still, it means Canada will, in another year or so, be nearly self-sufficient in packing capacity. That will put more pressure on U.S. packers facing an even smaller supply of cattle than the normal cycle level. Plants operating at less than the optimal slaughter rate lose money. The effect is likely to be further contraction of U.S. packing capacity, either through plant closings or further mergers and more concentration of the packing industry. That is not protecting U.S. jobs or helping preserve packer customers for U.S. cattle feeders and, in turn, calf producers. "

Earlier, weren't we told that it should be no big deal to us to open the border because Canada's total numbers only could account for one weeks worth of slaughter down here? Now we're supposed to go in panick mode because Canada (not yet, but maybe someday) will be able to slaughter more of that week's worth themselves? It's also intereting the author seems to ignore the Canadian packing industry is controlled by US packers. You read those paragraphs and it throws a red flag on everything written.

More slant from the article,"The ad further states, under a photo of a cowboy, "Our high health standards are needed to protect consumers, the beef industry and U.S. jobs." Once again, R-CALF is reinforcing the idea that USDA, the agency that surveys indicate consumers (rightfully) trust to safeguard their food, can't be trusted on "mad cow." (The ad never uses the proper abbreviation BSE, instead continuing to foster the fear of the mysterious "mad cow.") The message is that consumers should only listen to R- CALF - no one else knows what they're doing or can be trusted."

If the USDA's plan would go through, would our standards be higher or lower than our biggest customer, Japan? HINT: Our standards are already lower than Japan's. Why is this acceptable to the USDA?

Rediculous statement from the article,"Once Canadian cattlemen no longer need U.S. packing plants at all, the not inconsiderable ill-will R- CALF has engendered is also likely to affect Canada's willingness to trade in grain, feeder cattle or to feed cattle in U.S. feedlots. Not sitting on their hands, large amounts of private funding and $87 million in government funding is being assembled to boost marketing of Canadian beef. Since Canada is the only other significant source of high-quality, grain-fed beef besides the U.S., it is a safe assumption that Canada will be a more aggressive competitor in the world market- and have the cattle and packing capacity to back it up. The relationship, the competitive situation - and the motivation - will never be the same again. "

In order to believe this, you would have to believe that the Canadian government would stop dancing to the US packer's tune. They haven't shown the willingness to do that yet.

Agribusiness Freedom Foundation is about as radical right wing as they come-- Radical conservativism can be as dangerous or possibly more than radical liberalism.....Both do the country no good....

I would like to see the ad tho- to compare it to what this author thought it said....

Sandhusker-- You are right-- It does sound like an ~SH~ article- so that leaves a lot up in the air......

"Earlier, weren't we told that it should be no big deal to us to open the border because Canada's total numbers only could account for one weeks worth of slaughter down here?"

The number of 'backed up' cattle in the system. Not the whole Canadian herd.

" If the USDA's plan would go through, would our standards be higher or lower than our biggest customer, Japan? HINT: Our standards are already lower than Japan's. Why is this acceptable to the USDA?"

Everyone in the world has lower standards than the Japanese. I guess Canada is the only country on the planet expected to exceed Japanese standards? If so, that will be the standard set for America in the future as well. We don't mind raising the bar. Do you?

"In order to believe this, you would have to believe that the Canadian government would stop dancing to the US packer's tune. They haven't shown the willingness to do that yet."

Yet .... the pressure is on .... :!:

Calves are a coming, had wife finish the feeding.

Everyone complains R-calf is scared of competing, why are the packers scared of competing with the Canadian packers? Also they say your cattle are not than many and shouldn't hurt us, why would such a measly little amount of cattle then hurt the packers? How much of a supply of cattle do you have to take over ALL of our exports?

There's no need to take over ALL of your exports to bring down the wrath of the United States on our heads. Only one would probably do it.

We've learned over the years that if one dollar goes to a country that America considers it should have had, that's enough to cause trouble for anyone dumb enough to try and compete with you.

Look at the endless trade lawsuits we have dealt with and are still dealing with. (Wheat board, softwood lumber, pigs). If you win, then it's over. If you lose, you keep filing lawsuits until you DO win.

If someone is more competitive, then they must be cheating.

That's the way it looks from the outside. :?

Kato, "The number of 'backed up' cattle in the system. Not the whole Canadian herd."

Yeah, I think you've got me there. I stand corrected.

" If the USDA's plan would go through, would our standards be higher or lower than our biggest customer, Japan? HINT: Our standards are already lower than Japan's. Why is this acceptable to the USDA?"

Kato, "Everyone in the world has lower standards than the Japanese. I guess Canada is the only country on the planet expected to exceed Japanese standards? If so, that will be the standard set for America in the future as well. We don't mind raising the bar. Do you?"

I used Japan as an example because they are the customer we are trying to get back. Europe also has higher standards that we do. Anybody not accepting Canadian beef has higher standards than we do. The USDA sure changed their tune immediately after May 20, 2003. That is BS.

Hahaha!

What a "steers attempt" by Sandhusker to refute what was stated.

That was too funny!

OT and Sandblaster, of course it reads like I wrote it beause it doesn't support your R-CULT lies about the safety of Canadian beef. Of course you won't believe it because it doesn't support your blaming bias.

Your best effort is to "QUESTION IT" but until you can bring something to the table to prove that it's not factual, YOU GOT NOTHING, LIKE ALWAYS!

R-CALF is insane to conduct BSE fear mongering in major papers just to stop the Canadian border from opening to live cattle that are now coming down in boxes and you are blinded fools to support it.

Keep drinking that R-CULT Kool Aid.

~SH~

Latest posts