• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF, U.S. Ranchers Want To Block Potential Sale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
CP | By John Cotter, The Canadian Press Posted: 10/30/2012 1:20 pm EDT Updated: 10/30/2012 4:31 pm EDT

EDMONTON - Some American cattle producers want the U.S. government to block the possible sale of a troubled Alberta company's beef operations.

The Ranchers-Cattlemen's Action Legal Fund is concerned about JBS USA's option to purchase the XL Foods Inc. plant in Brooks, Alta., two U.S. slaughtering plants and other properties.

Bill Bullard, CEO of R-CALF, has written a letter to the U.S. Justice Department saying if the deal goes through it would make JBS USA a dominant player in the beef industry.

"It is a significant acquisition and it would catapult JBS perhaps into being the largest beef packer in the United States if the acquisition were to go through," Bullard said Tuesday from Billings, Mont.

"We will do everything within our power and means to block this merger."

In the letter, Bullard asks the department to investigate how the deal would affect U.S. cattle producers and consumers and to block it if it would lead to further consolidation of the beef market.

On Oct. 17, JBS USA signed a deal to manage the XL Foods plant in Brooks, Alta., that was involved in a massive beef recall and E. coli scare.

As part of the agreement, JBS USA has the option to purchase the Brooks plant as well as beef packing plants in Nampa, Idaho, and Omaha, Neb., and other properties for US$50 million and another US$50 million in shares.

Cameron Bruett, a JBS USA spokesman, said the company is aware of R-CALF's letter.

"We are aware of their efforts and we will work with the regulatory authorities here in the U.S. and in Canada to make sure the proposed option to purchase — should we pursue it — passes legal muster," he said from Greeley, Colo.

On Oct. 20, 2008, the U.S. Justice Department and 13 states launched a lawsuit to prevent JBS USA's parent company, JBS S.A., from purchasing National Beef Packing Company, LLC.

The lawsuit filed in Federal Court said the merger would likely reduce competition and that U.S. cattle producers, ranchers and feedlots would likely receive lower prices for their cattle. The lawsuit also said the deal would mean U.S. consumers would likely pay higher prices for beef.

Four months later, JBS S.A. announced it was terminating the deal with National Beef Packing Company. The U.S. Justice Department lawsuit was then dropped.

Bullard said R-CALF was a driving force in persuading the federal and state governments to launch that lawsuit.

He warns the Montana-based organization will lobby just as hard against the possible JBS USA - XL Foods deal.

"In 2008, we encouraged the Department of Justice to block the proposed merger between JBS and the nation's fourth-largest beef packing plant, which is National Beef Packing Company," he said.

"Under U.S. law, JBS is required to notify the Department of Justice if it intends to merge or acquire any additional market share. We are trying to urge our Department of Justice to take all steps necessary to prevent this acquisition from going through."

R-CALF has long been a burr under the saddle of Canada's beef industry.

Recently the organization has been a keen supporter of U.S. country-of-origin labelling laws on meat products. Canada opposes those rules.

R-CALF has also been a vocal proponent of restricting Canadian cattle imports into the U.S. since mad cow disease was discovered in an Alberta cow in 2003.

The XL Foods plant in Brooks resumed slaughtering cattle Monday under increased supervision from Canadian Food Inspection Agency officials.

Bruett said the plant was running smoothly and JBS USA hoped to recall more of its 2,200-member workforce later in the week.

"Things are going good," he said. "We've got the employees back to the business of processing beef and getting some safe food out there for consumers to enjoy."

Bruett said no date has been set on when this newly slaughtered beef will be released from the plant for sale to retailers and consumers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/10/30/r-calf-us-ranchers-alberta-xl-foods-plant_n_2044428.html

Count me among those of us down here that wishes we treated our great northern neighbor the way we'd like to be treated! :mad: R-CALF just gave me one more reason to ignore everything they spew.

This makes me hope that obama gets re-elected...it will serve ya right lol

Thanks H for your support, :D Funny thing is that while we really needed JBS to step up and take over this plant I don't think many in Canada are really happy that it had to happen as we lose another player in the market just like we weren't real happy Nillsons bought out Tyson. I guess in a perfect world we would have many smaller competitive plants but it seems those days are gone.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Thanks H for your support, :D Funny thing is that while we really needed JBS to step up and take over this plant I don't think many in Canada are really happy that it had to happen as we lose another player in the market just like we weren't real happy Nillsons bought out Tyson. I guess in a perfect world we would have many smaller competitive plants but it seems those days are gone.

Thats what every Canadian I talked to sounded like...They can see the packing monopoly that is taking over the meat industry of the Americas... I even had one Canadian tell me this is all old mafia money that was funneled into Brazil that is being used to finance all these takeovers... Don't know if that is true--but it was nice to hear Canadians finally taking notice and speaking out....

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Thats what every Canadian I talked to sounded like...They can see the packing monopoly that is taking over the meat industry of the Americas... I even had one Canadian tell me this is all old mafia money that was funneled into Brazil that is being used to finance all these takeovers... Don't know if that is true--but it was nice to hear Canadians finally taking notice and speaking out....

Maybe since you have more choices in the USA the R-calfers should boycott selling cattle to JBS.

Jeez...If R-coff hates it maybe this JBS outfit will be better than I feared.

Not Ken...just a guy thats been reading this site for a couple of years. I try to understand opposing points of view, but there are some real headshakers on this site.

habnut said:
Not Ken...just a guy thats been reading this site for a couple of years. I try to understand opposing points of view, but there are some real headshakers on this site.

I know. There's even a Leafs fan on here :shock:

Silver said:
habnut said:

That'll be enough outta youse!

Yanuck said:
Silver said:
habnut said:

That'll be enough outta youse!

I was wondering if you were paying attention! :lol: :lol: :lol:

First off the leafs are still in the playoff race, and will remain there until they solve this lock out. I believe that this jbs/xl deal is a necessary evil. Dont like it but 2 plants are better than one. Also R Calf need to remember that this is north of the 49th.
Habnut we shouldnt wish obama on everyone just r calf.

How about we start a pool on when JBS owns everybody? We all toss in $20 and submit a date. That way, at least one person will have some cash when it's all over.

rkaiser said:
Ya right Sandhusker. You still a banker? And we are supposed to trust you with our 20 bucks? LMAO

Good to hear you're still alive... I thought you would have the Canadian R-CALF formed by now... Somebody better or when these boys and their old mafia money control the continents packing industry your wooly cows will all be being bred to that South American JBS bull El Toro Grande..... :wink:

Taken a proactive approach Oldtimer. Still got my cows, but leased them out so that I can manage my own packing plant when I find a cash parter with some balls. In the mean time I am retailing beef with some buddies in their brand new meat shop in Calgary. She's a big world out their Oldtimer, bin to China, Europe, and even one of your own Merican cities drumming up business for our new packing plant in the last year. It's gonna happen soon, even if I have to breed my cows to El Torro to get er done.

Latest posts