• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
R-CALF United Stockgrowers of America

USDA Announcement of Different BSE Test Results Seven Months After Agency Announced Official Results Raises Serious Questions

(Billings, Mont.) – USDA announced late Friday that after retesting brain samples from three cattle – including an animal announced to be negative for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) last November – it now appears that the November 2004 animal has a "weak positive" test result. R-CALF USA President Leo McDonnell said the public should remain confident in the safety of U.S. beef. However, he raised concerns about the actions of USDA regarding BSE, and issued this statement:

"From what USDA said Friday, it appears that the only reason these recent tests were done is because the USDA Office of the Inspector General (OIG), an independent watchdog authority within the agency, insisted that the tests be done. In addition, the OIG requested a specific type of test be done, the Western blot test.

"This latest announcement reinforces what R-CALF has been saying all along, that if the United States is to continue to have the safest beef in the world, with the toughest safety standards in the world, we need to maintain and reinforce our two strongest firewalls against BSE: our feed ban on meat and bone meal (MBM), and our import ban. United States cattle producers raise high quality cattle and do all they can to ensure their cattle's health. We depend upon these firewalls to protect our cattle herd and food supply. R-CALF USA has already been calling on USDA and FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to take additional steps to minimize the possibility of BSE being introduced and subsequently spread in the United States.

"All three 'inconclusive' test results announced by USDA last year caused live cattle prices to fall, and we have yet to see how the markets will react on Monday to this incident. Why would USDA not have retested this animal over 7 months ago if it had any doubts as to the accuracy of its tests? USDA's past actions have unnecessarily traumatized U.S. cattle producers, and this situation raises the need for further questioning of USDA's handling of the entire BSE issue.

"Ironically, on Thursday, the Secretary held a roundtable discussion supposedly to talk about the science of BSE, but had no scientists present to discuss the need for different testing protocols, and instead, the Secretary deflected discussion away from science and to the economics of the issue, such as USDA's position that cattle prices are too high.

"Specifically, we are concerned that USDA appears to be flip-flopping on its testing procedures. USDA previously told us the immunohistochemistry (IHC) test used to confirm that the earlier cases were negative was the 'gold standard' test for BSE. USDA actually criticized the earlier Japanese announcements of two positive BSE cases in cows less than 30 months of age because those cows were tested with the Western blot test – the same test that USDA is now saying shows a 'weak positive.' This situation calls for a more thorough analysis of the science behind BSE.

"We're pleased USDA has decided to send this sample to the international laboratory in Weybridge, England, because scientists there have had more experience with this disease than the U.S., and based on that experience, Europeans have implemented more stringent risk mitigation measures.

"It is important not to over-react to USDA's announced test results, because we must now wait for the confirmatory test by the international laboratory in Weybridge, England. United States cattle producers have complied with precautionary measures required by USDA and other agencies to protect the U.S. beef supply."

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members – over 18,000 strong – are located in 48 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

...and everyone says r-calf and the usda are so fundamentally opposed. It appears science has a low priority with both. Economics seem to be the only concern for both. Apparently they have more in common than they realize. :roll:

SAY HAY MAKER, how would you interpret the "press release" that you cut and pasted?

What I mean is, please put it in your own words.P.S. if you can. Good Luck.

Leo McDonnell: "This latest announcement reinforces what R-CALF has been saying all along, that if the United States is to continue to have the safest beef in the world, with the toughest safety standards in the world, we need to maintain and reinforce our two strongest firewalls against BSE: our feed ban on meat and bone meal (MBM), and our import ban."

So if this tests positive, should our export markets continue to ban our imports Leo????

"well, ah, gee, ah, gosh, ah..........."

~SH~

giddy up SH, let's just say that we are doing all we can and that others aren't. Hell, we've been doing what is needed in the US for ages, don't ya see. Dem, canadians r da uns that brought this der thing inta dis country. We've bin upfront ever since it started. No need to disdrust us, now is der. we kept dose tests for 7 months, cause, well, they were over 20 months and we were hoping the Japanese would take our value added Canadian beef. We didn't mean to lose jobs, Leo told us it wouldn't happen, damn that Leo. "Hey, LEO, what do we do now, YES MASSER!"

Maple Leaf Angus said:
SAY HAY MAKER, how would you interpret the "press release" that you cut and pasted?

I interpret it like most,that have an unbiased opinion,R calf is working hard to insure the safety of the american cattle industry.And BSE is a health concern it is not,never has beeen, and never will be an economic issuse...................good luck

haymaker, you can lie to us, but you can't lie to yourself, sleep off the wiskey, and then let us know how you feel.

HAY MAKER said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

I interpret it like most,that have an unbiased opinion,it is not,never has beeen, and never will be an economic issuse...................good luck
"R calf is working hard to insure the safety of the american cattle industry.And BSE is a health concern"

That's right Haymaker. Since the beginning R-Calf has been working very hard at trying to get the US consumer to believe that BSE is a HUMAN health concern, setting up the potential for disaster for us all if this one comes back positive. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Bill said:
Since the beginning R-Calf has been working very hard at trying to get the US consumer to believe that BSE is a HUMAN health concern,

Bill- Are you saying that BSE is not a Human health concern?

You should ask the relatives of all the UK residents or Europeans that have died from vCJD if they think it is not a health concern...Or ask the 4,000 more in the UK that have had their tonsils test positive showing incubation... Hopefully 10 or 20 years from now you won't be looking at the relatives of North Americans :cry:

Oh I forgot- USDA and CFIA says we have little to worry about-- and we all know that government agencies would never lie- or falsify info- or cut corners- or make health decisions because of trade politics or economics :? :???:

OT, live in your cabin, leave the intellectual stuff to ones who have a brain. You have proven over and again, you don't have the intellect to converse here.

Oldtimer said:
Bill said:
Since the beginning R-Calf has been working very hard at trying to get the US consumer to believe that BSE is a HUMAN health concern,

Bill- Are you saying that BSE is not a Human health concern?

You should ask the relatives of all the UK residents or Europeans that have died from vCJD if they think it is not a health concern...Or ask the 4,000 more in the UK that have had their tonsils test positive showing incubation... Hopefully 10 or 20 years from now you won't be looking at the relatives of North Americans :cry:

Oh I forgot- USDA and CFIA says we have little to worry about-- and we all know that government agencies would never lie- or falsify info- or cut corners- or make health decisions because of trade politics or economics :? :???:

Living is a human health concern! I would eat North American beef 10 times a day before I would drive on an L.A. freeway. Simple question Oldtimer, where was R-Calf in the health concern arguement when it was argued that Beef caused cancer? Were they standing up with the consumer groups pointing at beef as being unsafe.

NO!!!!!!!! because it had nothing to do with keeping a border closed.

Oldtymer You should ask the relatives of all the UK residents or Europeans that have died from vCJD if they think it is not a health concern...Or ask the 4,000 more in the UK that have had their tonsils test positive showing incubation.

Could you post a link to this information .I am real interested in it.

Bill, "Living is a human health concern! I would eat North American beef 10 times a day before I would drive on an L.A. freeway. Simple question Oldtimer, where was R-Calf in the health concern arguement when it was believed Beef caused cancer? Were they standing up with the consumer groups pointing at beef as being unsafe. NO!!!!!!!! because it had nothing to do with keeping a border closed."

Sorry, Bill, but R-CALF wasn't even around then.

When it comes to food safety, R-CALF doesn't fool anyone but themselves. Their concern for food safety goes as far as blaming packers, blaming USDA, and keeping the Canadian border closed to live cattle while they contradict themselves by saying we have the safest beef in the world. R-CALF prohibited "M"ID from "M"COOL because they wanted "country of origin, not farm of origin". Need I say more on their committment to food safety?

Reader the second, in all the "could have", "might be" research you post regarding vCJD, have you ever come across one stitch of evidence to prove that consumers can contract vCJD from eating beef from cattle less than 30 months of age from a country that has a ruminant feed ban in place and is removing all SRMs from cattle older than 30 months????

If so, where is this reasearch?

You seem to want to join in on R-CALF's USDA blame armed only with speculative research from foreign countries that may or may not have the same conditions that the U.S. has.

Research that seems to forget all the animals that USDA has tested, that forgets the feed ban, that forgets the ban on slaughtering downer cows, and forgets SRM removal.

Considering the fact that consumers outvote producers 98 to 2, do you really think USDA is placing economics over food safety?????

What more could USDA do than to ban beef entirely?

One thing is for sure, anytime something like this surfaces, HERE COME THE BLAMERS.

~SH~

Sandhusker said:
Bill, "Living is a human health concern! I would eat North American beef 10 times a day before I would drive on an L.A. freeway. Simple question Oldtimer, where was R-Calf in the health concern arguement when it was believed Beef caused cancer? Were they standing up with the consumer groups pointing at beef as being unsafe. NO!!!!!!!! because it had nothing to do with keeping a border closed."

Sorry, Bill, but R-CALF wasn't even around then.

Sorry Sandhusker but it's members were.

r-calf: "Specifically, we are concerned that USDA appears to be flip-flopping on its testing procedures. USDA previously told us the immunohistochemistry (IHC) test used to confirm that the earlier cases were negative was the 'gold standard' test for BSE

Dr. Joyce VanDonkersgoed (AB Verified Beef program)was asked "If our industries are so linked why are we finding BSE cases and the US is not even though they have tested a higher number of animals?` Her comment was the "gold standard" tests (final confirmatory tests) in Canada and the US are different. She said the US version uses a test with 1 micoclonal antibody, compared to Canada's test which uses 15 microclonal antibodies. This could account for the difference.

like i said before, the game has been rigged from the start. r-calf believes usda when it suits them and attacks when it suits them. if r-calf is so concerned with safety why weren't they pressing usda to come to international standards in testing. this could turn into a big fiasco if r-calf's friends go after usda real hard and discredit the american beef industry by exposing the deficiencies in feed regs (chicken litter, etc.) and lousy testing procedures. canadian cattlemen want mcool now.

Reader(the second) - Are you so focused that you cannot read the last two sentences of your own post, and see the contradiction.

Disease does not equal transmissability. How true.

Animals and humans transmit the disease about half way through incubation. NEVER PROVEN.

Just calling it a disease is even BS.

The only thing I will agree with you on Reader is the thirty month thing. But making SH sound childish by suggesting a point that BSE does become transmissible is your own childish defense.

BSE has never been proven to be transmissible PERIOD.

SH, "Considering the fact that consumers outvote producers 98 to 2, do you really think USDA is placing economics over food safety?????"

I KNOW they're placing economics over food safety. You can't see it or simply won't admit it because that would be against your need to be contrary.

They did it and are doing it with the Japan situation. It's all about the AMI's checkbook. As a producer, you should be infuriorated that the AMI's fear of a $20 test (paid by the customer) trumps your desire to export beef.

They did it and are doing it with the Canadian border. They abandoned policy that they told Congress was integral to keeping BSE out of here when suddenly that policy was hurting the AMI's business plans. Like I mentioned earlier, more study is required before you are allowed to drain a swamp than what the USDA did before deciding to reverse policy. Nobody had a problem with that policy for the first 22 countries that got BSE, but number 23 was different. Ask yourself why #23 was different. Does it have anything to do with economics?

This last deal is more about money. The Canadians are right, it is suddenly pretty obvious the USDA is not serious about rooting out BSE cases. If health is their highest concern, why do they have to be forced to find out for sure on that Texas cow? Do they seem to be prioritizing health?

I have a suspicion Bill Hawke's resignation is closely related. I hope Johanns keeps cleaning house because that outfit needs turned upside down and shaken hard.

Still doesn't explain the actions of Rcalf Sandhusker. Talk about America's last line of defense against the dreaded diseased Canadian beef herd is still a bunch of bull. Using an opportunity for a protectionist move is more like it.
:roll:

rkaiser said:
Still doesn't explain the actions of Rcalf Sandhusker. Talk about America's last line of defense against the dreaded diseased Canadian beef herd is still a bunch of bull. Using an opportunity for a protectionist move is more like it.
:roll:

Here's the deal as I see it, Randy. The USDA is not doing the job assigned to them. This BSE is nasty, nasty stuff and everything possible needs to be done to keep it out of here or eradicate it if we have it. For the USDA to abandon set policy just so the AMI can trade is totally unacceptable - and there is no way one can say policy was not changed for the Canada situation. Someone has to step up and yell "whoa". Considering what is at stake here, wouldn't you expect an organization representing ranchers to raise a stink?

The USDA went from a zero tolerance policy to one where they can't even define risk. They talk about using science, but is "low" a scientific measurement? If being upset about the USDA's handling of BSE is "protectionist", I unashamededly proclaim myself to be protectionist with a capital P. That outfit has to be held accountable to their assignment - they are risking our business. They get away with this now, what is coming down the pike?

Now I'm going to jab you a little, Randy. You think R-CALF is wrong for standing up to the USDA and you call them protectionist. You think the US should accept your product. Yet, how is Canada treating the product of other BSE positive countries? Is the CCA in favor of allowing European beef into your country? Are they in favor of allowing Japanese product into Canada? Both Europe and Japan have more extensive SRM removal and testing than you do. With that in mind, aren't you folks guilty of the same of which you curse R-CALF?

Latest posts