• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF's Response to Border Decision

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

MIGHT AS WELL BREAK THE PEACE AND CALM AND LET YOU GUYS START RACKING UP SOME NUMBERS BESIDES YOUR NAMES!!!!!!!!LOL

USDA Decision to Delay Canadian Beef Products
from Older Cattle Ignores Fundamental Flaws with Rule

(Billings, Mont.) – R-CALF USA, once again, expressed extreme disappointment with another woefully inadequate decision by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) concerning the agency's Final Rule on reopening the Canadian border, with regard to Canada's ongoing problems with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

R-CALF USA maintains USDA's Final Rule is fundamentally flawed and should be withdrawn in its entirety because it increases the risk of introducing BSE into the United States – an unnecessary and avoidable risk that USDA has not even attempted to quantify.

Wednesday, Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns issued a formal statement indicating USDA will "delay the effective date for allowing imports of meat from animals 30 months and over." Johanns also said he is asking U.S. officials to develop a plan to allow imports of animals 30 months and older for slaughter as well as beef from over-30-month (OTM) animals as the next step in resuming full trade with Canada. Additionally, he said the rest of USDA's Final Rule would proceed as announced.

What remains of USDA's Final Rule will still cause problems for U.S. consumers and the U.S. cattle industry by allowing Canadian cattle and beef to enter the United States. USDA is only asking that tonsils and intestines be removed from slaughtered Canadian beef coming into the United States. The agency is not requiring the removal of all Specified Risk Materials (SRMs), which is unacceptable.

"If USDA is allowed to open the border on March 7, the U.S. will be flooded with the most hazardous beef and cattle in the world from the standpoint of BSE risk management," said R-CALF USA CEO Bill Bullard. "The Final Rule ensures that Canada will be the only BSE-affected country in the world that is not required to remove high-risk tissues in cattle until they are more than twice the age of risk-mitigation requirements established by international standards and practiced by all other countries affected by BSE.

"USDA's decision will continue to pose health risks to U.S. consumers and the U.S. cattle herd, as well as significant financial risks to U.S. cattle producers," said Bullard. "This Final Rule will subject U.S. consumers to an increased BSE risk for the first time in history because it will allow into the United States products that do not even meet the international standards recommended for countries meeting Canada's BSE risk classification.

"This is a far cry from our current policy that provides complete protection to U.S. consumers and the industry because we currently utilize strict import controls to avoid completely the risks associated with BSE," he continued. "In today's announcement, USDA claims it has not yet completed its investigation of Canada's BSE problem. This alone should demonstrate the Final Rule is dangerously premature.

"Our export customers know that USDA is proposing to allow beef into the U.S. that does not even come close to meeting international standards," said Bullard. "And since USDA has imposed no requirements to label beef derived from Canadian cattle, U.S. consumers cannot choose to purchase USA beef for their families if they so desire. If Canada does discover additional cases of BSE, U.S. consumers – because they cannot choose to avoid Canadian beef – could decide to reject beef entirely, resulting in even more damage to U.S. cattle markets."

Bullard said other countries affected by BSE – with experience in reducing BSE – have put into place practices designed to eradicate the disease from their domestic herds, but USDA has chosen to ignore internationally accepted recommendations and the risk mitigation measures those countries practice that are necessary to ensure a safe food supply. The entire rule is intended simply to force the United States to share both the risks and the management of Canada's BSE problem.

"USDA wants us now to assume what they call an acceptable risk of introducing BSE into the U.S., but exactly what is the agency's definition of 'acceptable risk?'" Bullard wondered. "USDA's official statement claims its actions will make the introduction of BSE unlikely, but again, exactly what does USDA mean by 'unlikely?' Is USDA saying it's OK to import five animals with BSE? A dozen animals with BSE? Or, would even more BSE cases here be OK with USDA?

"There are still 33 countries that won't accept Canadian beef, and USDA's Final Rule sets U.S. standards for importing cattle and beef lower than any other country in the world where BSE exists, and that's going to turn the U.S. into a dumping ground for products that other countries – including our own trading partners – will not accept, " Bullard emphasized.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Your posts are always interesting to read OT.. Hows the weather down your way?

BEAUTIFUL--Somewhere in the 40's- snows melting like crazy-cows are out grazing.....Had a big calf sale here today- but I had to haul grandkids home and work on corrals-- Probably best I was babysitting because a couple of my neighbors sold their heifers today and I'm sure things are flowing at the waterhole........

:???:

I am i too good of a mood today to dump on Bullards BS.

Got up this morning, another set of twins, this cow was born in 1998, has raised 3 twins and a single calf so far. Now she has another set of twins, and never had to help her. This morning she just about killed a coyote, but still let me move her and the babies without ever challenging me.

Got to love these South Devon momma's

Oh and a couple more heifers calved, all healthy strong and ready for life.

:D

It was a beautiful day here too around 36F but the chinook breeze was blowing. Busy checking calves that were born the last few days and making sure there doing well, sure a lot nicer than that Cool weather we had a few days back. Did you hear how the sale went today? Calves have picked up in price here the last little while but hiefers are still under pressure.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Did you hear how the sale went today?

Didn't stick around long enough this morning to see much- Looked at the Miles City sales results from Tuesday --looked like the 650 weights were about $1.09-$1.11 on top heifers and $1.16-$1.24 on top steers- Culls & bulls were up and the buyers before the sale this morning said they would be here, too....Our markets here are usually about the same as Miles- sometimes we're a little higher, sometimes they're a little higher...I'll have to get ahold of my neighbor in the morning and see what he got- these are the ones we bangsed a couple weeks ago- He usually gets a good price as replacements-- Same place I been getting my bulls....

I was just curious to see what good replacement hiefers were bring down there. What kind were they? We ve got a nice pen of Limo Black Angus cross girls to breed this spring. Not sure wiether we should sell them or keep them around. I was thinking about using a good Short Horn bull on them. Neighbor up the road has been a Charolais man all his life and he says now that he is finishing his own calves he says they eat too damn much. Hes got two red angus bulls now and hes talking bout geting rid of his old Charolais herd bull and replacing him with another Red bull. He has kept back some good char hiefers but he needs to get a good cross into them. I keep telling him once you go Black you'll never go back! :wink:

Where bouts you at in north east Montana. I Used to travel into that country to buy bulls before the border debacle. I hope to be back again some day as the people and hospitality are great.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I was just curious to see what good replacement hiefers were bring down there. What kind were they?

MR- these were black angus and they were his light end- weighed 670 and brought 1.06--$710 a head.........Glad I didn't go meet those guys last night- sounds like I feel a lot better than they did after a night in town........

elwapo said:
Where bouts you at in north east Montana. I Used to travel into that country to buy bulls before the border debacle. I hope to be back again some day as the people and hospitality are great.

elwapo- I live on the River place about 5 miles south of Glasgow- down on the Milk River near the mouth of Willow Creek.....The old homestead and pasture is 30 miles north on the road to Opheim......Who'd you get bulls from?

I have dealt with Fred Colver at Lewistown, the Weaver brothers at Winnet, Dave Kalina at Winnet, and I also know Phil Haglund very well from Brockway. All great People!

elwapo said:
I have dealt with Fred Colver at Lewistown, the Weaver brothers at Winnet, Dave Kalina at Winnet, and I also know Phil Haglund very well from Brockway. All great People!

elwapo- I know Haglunds- have some nice cattle.. Never made it to their bull sale yet because it usually falls on the same day as our local big bred cow sale- but I have seen some of their cows and heifers.......

What is R-CALF thinking? I can't believe any cattle rancher would support a group that is out to kill you like R-CALF is. Every time they open their mouths it gets worse. The anti beef groups must be loving this. They can save their money as R-CALF is doing more damage they they ever could. You better hope all US consumers that read this crap have short memories if BSE is found in the US.

Tam said:
What is R-CALF thinking? I can't believe any cattle rancher would support a group that is out to kill you like R-CALF is. Every time they open their mouths it gets worse. The anti beef groups must be loving this. They can save their money as R-CALF is doing more damage they they ever could. You better hope all US consumers that read this crap have short memories if BSE is found in the US.

How many other countries are treating Canada the same as the USDA proposes?

The USDA said that they are treating Canada as they themselves want to be treated when and if BSE is found in the US. We do have exports that are going to places other than the US. Mexico comes to mind and they said they would take more but the US government stepped in and said they couldn't ship anything through the US that the US wasn't taking, not even in sealed trucks.

I can't believe R-CALF really thinks Canada has the most hazardous beef in the world. That should make the US herd the second most hazardous herd being there has been so many Canadian cattle imported in the past and are all hiding in your herd.

TAM: I think the US just knows how to cover up the cases better than we do. Shovel sells are way up in the US, so much shoot, shovel, and shutting up going on! Pretty hard to dig a hole up here this time of year!

Sandhusker said:
Tam said:

How many other countries are treating Canada the same as the USDA proposes?

How many other countries share the same genetics, feed standards and amount of trade within the beef industry as Canada and the US? No country is treating Canada the same as USDA proposes just as no country is treating the US as well as Canada.

Some of you want to discredit R-CALF all you can, but you're ignoring the obvious. Taking Canadian beef does have the very real potenial to hurt our exports. Since we can't seperate Canadian product from US, why would any country that does not want Canadian product trade with us?

Latest posts