• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

R-CALF's Response to Border Decision

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Some of you want to discredit R-CALF all you can, but you're ignoring the obvious. Taking Canadian beef does have the very real potenial to hurt our exports. Since we can't seperate Canadian product from US, why would any country that does not want Canadian product trade with us?

If it's so obvious why don't you share with us ALL the countries who are taking US product but not Canadian.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:
Some of you want to discredit R-CALF all you can, but you're ignoring the obvious. Taking Canadian beef does have the very real potenial to hurt our exports. Since we can't seperate Canadian product from US, why would any country that does not want Canadian product trade with us?

If it's so obvious why don't you share with us ALL the countries who are taking US product but not Canadian.

We don't have any export market because of one CANADIAN origin cow that came to the States....They definitely won't take our product if we open up to a country that has 4 known origin cows and God only knows how many more that haven't been found...

oldtimer: We don't have any export market because of one CANADIAN origin cow that came to the States....They definitely won't take our product if we open up to a country that has 4 known origin cows and God only knows how many more that haven't been found

the fact is oldtimer you don't have your export markets because of millions of cattle imported from canada which you couldn't trace and your testing program has little credibility or export markets would be opening up. you want canada to test every animal but that would go against american interests as defined by the ami. if we did test every animal, your export customers would want your animals tested too and if they monitor your testing you might not like the results. canada has more credibility because we can trace and test animals to determine the extent of bse when a positive shows up. when we had a positive we could identify all the most likely other positives and they came up negative. your one animal made it into the human food supply and for whatever reason the traceback effort was futile. blame us all you want but you'll have to get back your own markets just as we have to. if r-calf is working so hard for you why don't they go after your archenemies, the packers, and not worry about an insignificant factor such as the few canadian cattle you have to contend with. bullard says what sounds good to angry cattlemen even if it doesn't address the problem.

Oldtimer wrote: We don't have any export market ........

http://www.bseinfo.org/BeefIndustryFacts.aspx

As of October 1, 2004, the United States had re-established beef exports with countries that in 2003 accounted for $1.2 billion or 33 percent of the record $3.86 billion in beef and beef variety meat exports in 2003. With nearly one-quarter of trade re-established, roughly $3/cwt. (live weight) of the $15/cwt. in export value has been returned to the market place.

Tam said:
The USDA said that they are treating Canada as they themselves want to be treated when and if BSE is found in the US. We do have exports that are going to places other than the US. Mexico comes to mind and they said they would take more but the US government stepped in and said they couldn't ship anything through the US that the US wasn't taking, not even in sealed trucks.

I can't believe R-CALF really thinks Canada has the most hazardous beef in the world. That should make the US herd the second most hazardous herd being there has been so many Canadian cattle imported in the past and are all hiding in your herd.

"When and if"? Why has Japan closed their borders to us?

What makes anybody think that other countries will treat us as we are treating Canada? That is plain smoke and mirrors. In real life, we have been taking your boxed beef for how long now, and who is treating us the same? With a prime example right in front of us, I'm not buying that arguement one bit.

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

I think you're missing my point, Bill. Any country who is not taking Canadian product will not take ours if we take Canadian product. We can't seem to seperate beef. We would not be able to assure our customer that the beef we are sending them is not from Canada.

Sandhusker said:
Bill said:
Sandhusker said:

I think you're missing my point, Bill. Any country who is not taking Canadian product will not take ours if we take Canadian product. We can't seem to seperate beef. We would not be able to assure our customer that the beef we are sending them is not from Canada.

If US producers would focus more on trying to meet Canada's standards instead of thinking they have the best beef on the planet markets would open much quicker. Canada has had more cases of BSE than the US yet more countries are taking our beef? Doesn't something seem wrong with this picture to you?

You don't need product segregation. What you need is to focus on getting an accepted MID system (this allows for a PROPER form of COOL and to lose the WE DON'T HAVE BSE attitude. Your customers know have it and don't see the conviction displayed by Canada in dealing with the problem.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I was just curious to see what good replacement hiefers were bring down there. What kind were they? We ve got a nice pen of Limo Black Angus cross girls to breed this spring. Not sure wiether we should sell them or keep them around. I was thinking about using a good Short Horn bull on them. Neighbor up the road has been a Charolais man all his life and he says now that he is finishing his own calves he says they eat too damn much. Hes got two red angus bulls now and hes talking bout geting rid of his old Charolais herd bull and replacing him with another Red bull. He has kept back some good char hiefers but he needs to get a good cross into them. I keep telling him once you go Black you'll never go back! :wink:

Replacement quality heifers at Valentine Livestock, Valentine Neb. on Thur. Feb 10 were from 130.25 on 677 pounds for 70 head for top, the next group of heifers was 714 @ $111

Sandhusker said:
Tam said:
The USDA said that they are treating Canada as they themselves want to be treated when and if BSE is found in the US. We do have exports that are going to places other than the US. Mexico comes to mind and they said they would take more but the US government stepped in and said they couldn't ship anything through the US that the US wasn't taking, not even in sealed trucks.

I can't believe R-CALF really thinks Canada has the most hazardous beef in the world. That should make the US herd the second most hazardous herd being there has been so many Canadian cattle imported in the past and are all hiding in your herd.

"When and if"? Why has Japan closed their borders to us?

What makes anybody think that other countries will treat us as we are treating Canada? That is plain smoke and mirrors. In real life, we have been taking your boxed beef for how long now, and who is treating us the same? With a prime example right in front of us, I'm not buying that arguement one bit.

Sandhusker is the U.S taking beef from Japan?

Latest posts