• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rabbits Sold Seperately

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Just as we were getting ready to head for the ranch tonight, the phone rang. An older lady over in town was on the other end of the line in a full blown panic! Her 85 year old husband was in a pretty interesting mess. He bought a heifer calf this summer to feed out. He is a retired engineer and hasnt owned any livestock as long as I've been alive. Well, tonight the 600 pound heifer was rubbing her head on the part of the corral made out of rabbit cages and got her head stuck in one! Harlan decided he's just gonna rope her, alone........, a foot............., all 120 pounds of him. He managed to get a loop around her, about right where the cinch on your saddle rides! Luckily when she jumped the rabbit pen corral he let go of the rope and away she went into his nieghbors hayfield! I jumped a horse in the trailer and called another neighbor on the way over to get him to come help. She was wound up, but I guess i would be too if i had a rabbit cage stuck over my head! Here she is at the top of the field.
DSCF0001-21.jpg

A closer shot of the fiasco! I bet she wondered what the heck was going on! :D
DSCF0002-20.jpg

Here is the best picture! Rope a dragging and cage firmly in place held there by 4 inch horns! Talk about a bewildered bovine! She managed to jump back into here own pasture where her and a holstien steer make thier abode. The steer ran up to her, saw the cage and slammed on the brakes with a look on his face that was priceless........... What in the world is THAT! :shock: We eased her down the fence toward the "corral" but it held too many bad memories and she jumped the fence again into the hay. So we looped around her again, brought her up the fence and both missed getting a rope on her! She jumped back into her pasture but got tangled in the fence and brush and managed to free herself of the contraption hanging on her! :D We put the steer back in the "corral" and let the heifer mellow over night. I'll take some actual panels over tomorrow to take the place of the antique rabbit cages. Harlan plans to send her to the meat plant very soon! Harlan's wife plans to beat Harlan if he ever even looks at a cow again! Made for a pretty entertaining Friday Night! :D Ya gotta love people don't ya? Bless thier hearts! :wink: :D
DSCF0004-22.jpg

You sure do have to laugh at some of the things that those people do :lol: Which brings a story to mind, I been selling hay to this guy that is a engineer for a communication company out of Denver. So after he unloaded the hay he was showing me around his place looking at some of his cows that he has and explaining to me how to run a cattle chute and tub system that he has. Well he has 15 head of angus cows and he had these two older cows locked up in a small pen, I think they might have been around 8-10 yrs of age, and I asked him what he was doing with those cows :? . Well he was feeding them out to butcher :???:. Now these old cows where skinny you could see their ribs but they looked bloated. Well he goes on about how he is feeding them out and this is what he told me. He gives these cows a coffee can of grain a day and 1 flake of hay AND gives them 2 cans of beer along with their grain :? .The whole time he keeps telling me that I need to buy the cheapest beer I can find and feed my calves this to help fatten them up. Now he is telling me this story and I am trying to keep a straight face and trying to find a way to tell him that he might just be bloating them with these 2 cans of beer and I just dont see this being a good idea for me. But I just left it alone and thought to myself if he thinks this is a good idea why should I spoil it for him.

Latest posts