• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain dance

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
If anyone on here is schooled in the art of doin a rain dance, HayMaker and myself would be interested in taking lessons......

Heres what I found on modern day rain dancing ( I changed a few words to fit our area)
Community Rain Dance Steps:

On Mondays, everyone with an odd-numbered address is to leave the truck out of the garage with the windows rolled down overnight.

Tuesday everyone with trucks must place bagged, non-soluble materials such as flour, sugar, or concrete mix in the truck beds and leave the trucks out overnight.

Any one with horses should leave the saddles out every night. (preferably the "good" saddle)

For Wednesday, everyone with an even-numbered address is to leave the truck out of the garage with the windows rolled down overnight.

Thursdays are convertibles day. Anyone with a convertible or a T-top should leave the tops down overnight.

All residents should line dry laundry their skivvies on Fridays.

Saturdays are truck wash day. Everyone should wash their trucks today. Twice if the suds hold up. (a wax job wouldn't hurt) Once this is completed, an afternoon in the hayfield is in order.

Sundays we can mix business with pleasure and attend an event at Kyle Field. The stipulation is that under no circumstances will umbrellas be permitted on premises.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
If anyone on here is schooled in the art of doin a rain dance, HayMaker and myself would be interested in taking lessons......

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.But I hear tell there is a canuckle head from around big beaver,that puts on quite a show ,sez he puts on his mohair woolies and him and his dance partner KD Lang get with the program,I can just see that big ole canuckle head with those woolies and a skirt on over them jumpin roun with KD,probably be worth the money watchin em even if it did'nt rain.................good luck

Well I see my diesel truck coming cross the creek,been waitin for a load of diesel this morning,put it off as long as I could,but I gotta lot of fall plowing ta do. that's the first step in next years hay crop,damn stuff is like liquid gold,talk to ya'll tonite...............good luck

I had to edit, since I did a search and found a few instructions.....hehe
Even wouldnt mind the smell if his woolies got wet.

Well if his woolies did get wet,be the closet they ever come to being washed.
By the way getting my chisel hooked up this evening and one of these ole know it all geezers drove up.........good news he sez,its gonna rain this weekend,yeah hows that I said,well if you got to town more often you would have seen the sensasia bushes blooming,thats a sure fire way of predicting rain boy you oughta know that. How about we celebrate? These ole coots are getting smarter every day,gonna be interesting to see just how much rain we get this week end.................good luck Lilly

HAY MAKER said:
I had to edit, since I did a search and found a few instructions.....hehe
Even wouldnt mind the smell if his woolies got wet.

Well if his woolies did get wet,be the closet they ever come to being washed.
By the way getting my chisel hooked up this evening and one of these ole know it all geezers drove up.........good news he sez,its gonna rain this weekend,yeah hows that I said,well if you got to town more often you would have seen the sensasia bushes blooming,thats a sure fire way of predicting rain boy you oughta know that. How about we celebrate? These ole coots are getting smarter every day,gonna be interesting to see just how much rain we get this week end.................good luck Lilly

Hooking up the plow in the fall is the same as swathing in the summer- an almost guarantee of rain..... :wink: or up here snow :(

Well OT, I sure hope the weather patterns change,I believe the jet stream is way to far north,its keeping high pressure on TX,I bet I aint had 6 inches of rain this year,and we normally get 35,you and Gabe been hunting ?...........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Well OT, I sure hope the weather patterns change,I believe the jet stream is way to far north,its keeping high pressure on TX,I bet I aint had 6 inches of rain this year,and we normally get 35,you and Gabe been hunting ?...........good luck

It has been a different year- We're about an inch behind on rain-- 10 instead of the normal 11, but it came at the right times so we aren't too bad off-- Some fall grass and the springs are still running...Will need some snow or rain to get things started tho next spring.....

Gabe and I have done very little hunting- just been too busy getting the fall run of cattle out- and everything was late this year due to the truck shortage... I might try to sneak out this week and see what I find..... Been watching lots of little bucks chasing 100's of does around the hay meadow everday, but haven't seen anything I wanted to pop a cap on yet.....

Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:

It has been a different year- We're about an inch behind on rain-- 10 instead of the normal 11, but it came at the right times so we aren't too bad off-- Some fall grass and the springs are still running...Will need some snow or rain to get things started tho next spring.....

Gabe and I have done very little hunting- just been too busy getting the fall run of cattle out- and everything was late this year due to the truck shortage... I might try to sneak out this week and see what I find..... Been watching lots of little bucks chasing 100's of does around the hay meadow everday, but haven't seen anything I wanted to pop a cap on yet.....

Well hopefully you will get time,season has a way of slipping away,then no winter venison,I wound up gettin a young buck for the freezer,should make good dried sausage,how long is your season up there,ours down here is way too long.................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:

Well hopefully you will get time,season has a way of slipping away,then no winter venison,I wound up gettin a young buck for the freezer,should make good dried sausage,how long is your season up there,ours down here is way too long.................good luck

Counting archery and rifle its open almost 3 months-- rifle only a little over a month as it closes this coming Sunday...I'll have plenty of sausege and jerky as the kids have killed a few- this year you could buy 5 tags (4 doe tags).... I only got one tag tho- in case ol grandpa buck jumps out in front of me.....

Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:
Oldtimer said:

Counting archery and rifle its open almost 3 months-- rifle only a little over a month as it closes this coming Sunday...I'll have plenty of sausege and jerky as the kids have killed a few- this year you could buy 5 tags (4 doe tags).... I only got one tag tho- in case ol grandpa buck jumps out in front of me.....

some times I think the fish & game commissions keep making seasons longer to justify the license increase,bought my license the other day and it had increased again every year same ole stuff,more money,well I gotta find me some supper OT talk to you tommorow..............good luck

Back to the subject that started all this, RAIN DANCES.

When our grandson was 4 or 5 years old and it was really dry here, I encouraged him to do a rain dance with me. "Gramma," he says. "I tried that rain dancin'. It don't work. It still didn't rain."

I thought it was interesting that a kid that young knew about rain dances.

Now, OT knows about RAIN DANCES. Up in his area a few years ago, a rain dancer had been hired to come in because it had been dry for so long. From what I know, IT WORKED. Their area was the only spot in Montana for 2 or 3 years that got any rain, and they got above average.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, OT. And please elaborate if I'm right.

Faster horses said:
Back to the subject that started all this, RAIN DANCES.

When our grandson was 4 or 5 years old and it was really dry here, I encouraged him to do a rain dance with me. "Gramma," he says. "I tried that rain dancin'. It don't work. It still didn't rain."

I thought it was interesting that a kid that young knew about rain dances.

Now, OT knows about RAIN DANCES. Up in his area a few years ago, a rain dancer had been hired to come in because it had been dry for so long. From what I know, IT WORKED. Their area was the only spot in Montana for 2 or 3 years that got any rain, and they got above average.

Correct me, if I'm wrong, OT. And please elaborate if I'm right.

You are right--He brought his rainmaking machine up here for a couple of years and took many thousands of $ of collected donations (none of which were mine) out of the area-- and we've had good moisture since including one winter of record 80+ inches of snow , some areas of which contained over a years worth of moisture in the snow....

Went to the Shelby and Billings area too- but I don't think he had as good a luck with Mother Nature co-operating there ......Did have a few around here that were true believers tho......

Latest posts