• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

RAIN, RAIN, AND FLOODING

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
WE got bombed with another heavy thunderstorm tonite. Rain, hail, and strong winds. Not sure how we are going to get one group of cows moved to the other pasture. They cant cross because the water is so deep. There are even some evacuations taking place now because peoples lives are in danger. I worry we could get an outbreak of foot rot in cattle. Heres hoping we dont.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
WE got bombed with another heavy thunderstorm tonite. Rain, hail, and strong winds. Not sure how we are going to get one group of cows moved to the other pasture. They cant cross because the water is so deep. There are even some evacuations taking place now because peoples lives are in danger. I worry we could get an outbreak of foot rot in cattle. Heres hoping we dont.

Sounds like you need to buy up some "Gopher Wood". We just got rain this afternoon for the first time in about 4 weeks.

Mike,

We havent went two days back to back without rain since June 1. Its so bad all the gophers have drowned :eek:

Manitoba_Rancher said:

Yeah, Manitoba Rancher, you got any neighbours named Noah?

Sure wish we could take some of that water off of your hands. We're getting bone dry here again. Temperature dropped from 32 and humid on Thursday to 16 and dry air on Friday. Whew, almost a shock! :santa:

I have lakes on my property that were never there before...... we got about 5inches in the past 3 days.............I think thats about a zillion inches this spring/summer in total!
The ditches are overflowing. I hear some cattle are getting footrot! So far our cattle are ok.

The sky is a wild rose pink to the west at this very moment.......almost fushia? Red sky at nite - sailors delight?????

Ill take some pics tomorrow and post of the water we are dealing with here. Its not a pretty site around here and things only seem to get worse. They re calling for more heavy rain tonight and tomorrow.........We ve had a few calves with a touch of pneumonia but got most cleared up!! We re at mother natures wrath here!

Just doing some tallying up and its looks to me with tonites rain we are over 28 inches of rain since May 30 of this year!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!! I can't imagine that much rain in a little over a month. We feel for you guys. I guess drought is not as bad as all that water.

We have had 6" in May and 9+" in June. We look so good right now. Folks are getting antsy about haying. They will really get antsy after the 4th. We had another shower tonight.

Big Muddy, sure sorry to hear you are getting drowned still. Around here, after about 24 inches of rain in June, there are springs breaking out everywhere, including in the corrals and the barn. Makes doctoring all the foot rots a real chore. I hope the tap turns off for you and goes where it is actually needed, and we can trade those guys for their sunshine! What do you say MLA? Wanna trade?

I'm not sure about the wisdom in trading one imbalance for another! I'm sure sorry for the mess you guys are in. Things actually look good here for as dry as it is. The little bit of rain we've had (one inch since the middle of May?) must have come at the right time for the crops. But the lawns are burnt brown and the pasture and hay fields are at a stand still. Talked to one fella who is starting to feed his cows hay, in the beginning of July!

It would sure be nice to even things out a bit if we could. 24" is just unbelieveable. That must be one years worth?

DJL said:
Big Muddy, sure sorry to hear you are getting drowned still. Around here, after about 24 inches of rain in June, there are springs breaking out everywhere, including in the corrals and the barn. Makes doctoring all the foot rots a real chore. I hope the tap turns off for you and goes where it is actually needed, and we can trade those guys for their sunshine! What do you say MLA? Wanna trade?

I think your mistaken, It's Manitoba rancher that's drownding not me. We could have used some of that rain down here as the big Muddy Lake is just muddy and not all that wet. We watch the storms build then split and go around us and hear about the rains that other places got... We aren't suffering much but in this area we have pretty good drainage and could pretty near always use more rain.

DJL are you near Raymond Alta? We feed some cattle there and haven't talked to them for a while but they had lots of rain earlier.

I meant Manitoba, but obviously my typing fingers have a mind of their own. We are in the foothills, but I lived in Raymond once upon a time for a couple of years when I was in elementary school. I would happily have sent you some of this rain too, and you could have split if with MLA, but don't have that kind of pull with the big guy, I'm afraid.

DJL said:
I meant Manitoba, but obviously my typing fingers have a mind of their own. We are in the foothills, but I lived in Raymond once upon a time for a couple of years when I was in elementary school. I would happily have sent you some of this rain too, and you could have split if with MLA, but don't have that kind of pull with the big guy, I'm afraid.

We have quite a debate about what's worse a drought or flood and I think it is just what you have at the time as we never seem to be satisfied with what we have. I bet when you get some sun and heat everything will be really nice and green. We have had enough rain to bring on the tiger lilies so my wife is happy.

Without a doubt, I will always say drought is worse. At least when you have floods, dugouts are filled, pastures grow like crazy and the hay is plentiful. Would never want to be one of those guys out West who has to ship his cows out of province to find feed, and then bring the hay in to feed in the winter. We won't be cutting hay for at least 2 weeks. Everything is completely saturated. I figure we have gotten about 15 inches since early May. Lots of times where we get 1/2" and 3/4" amounts. Normally we only get one or two cases of footrot a year....and sometimes none...and pinkeye is then the problem. But this year....oyyy...no pinkeye as it has been too cold and wet for the flies recently, but footrot to boot! In some cases, animals we treated earlier and have recovered, have gotten it again. She's wet here, but sure wouldn't want to be in Manitoba. News reports say that the Red River is about 3 feet below the level it was at during the spring 1997 flood.

Without a doubt, drought is worse than this. I always fear fire, and right now you couldn't burn this country down if you tried. We are and have been green as Ireland all spring and summer, so no complaints there. The grass is great, but it would just be nice to share a little of the wealth sometimes! The foot rots are coming on full roar now, but that is expected with these conditions, and with all the rain, the salt melts away, so its a full time job keeping the cattle salted. We have a ton of mosquitoes this year, which is most unpleasant, as we don't normally have enough to bother you, so we're not used to it at all. The deer flies, horse flies, lazy flies and assorted other flies are enough without mosquitoes. Lack of mosquitoes and enough breeze to keep the flies off are some of the most attractive things about summer in this country, along with the scenery of course.

Manitoba Rancher,

Maybe you should stop worrying about the rain and take your girlfriend out.....sound like a good idea? I'm sure she would appreciate it!!!

Us Gal

Latest posts