• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain Rain Go Away

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Clarence

Reaction score
I can't dance,
And I can't play.

It rained last night,
And I can't make hay.

Actually is rained this morning, started about 5:15, was aining hard at a quarter to six.

Had planned to turn windrows then bale. Don't have that much down, will get to it sometime. In the meantiime the rest is still growing.

Have a few acres more I am plowing up, might get to that this afternoon.

Jinglebob said:
I can't recall a time when I ever cussed rain. Dust lasts lots longer than mud around here! :lol:
Started raining here atbout 2:00 P.M. yesterday and rained of and on all night. We had to stop seeding sorghum-sudan and may have to rent an "ARK" to get finished. :wink:

Clarence, How much rain have you gotten in the last few days? We have about an inch and a half. Ain't it wonderful???? :lol: I went with my hubby to haul salt and the curlews were spectacular. There was a tall plant with purpleish white floweres. Kinda like a bluebell, but bigger and taller. I think it is not desireable but sure was pretty. What do you think it is? I'm just gitty over this rain... THANK YOU LORD.....YEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW

I don't much care for the name of the topic on this thread!

From the time I was a child, my song about rain went like this:

"Rain, rain,
here to stay
I love it to rain
EVERY DAY!!"
(I never would sing it the original way. )

A few years ago when our grandson was visiting, I said to him, "Let's go outside and do a rain dance." He was about 6 or 7 at the time.

"AWWWW", he says. "I tried that rain dancing. It don't do no good!"
Ny thought was, my gosh, even this little boy knows about it not raining!!

Another thing I have thought and said, "Before I die, I hope I live someplace where I can truthfully say, "I wish it would stop raining." Sure haven't found that place yet. So far, for me to wish it would quit raining~HAS NEVER HAPPENED!

So, let it rain, let it pour...

Katrina:

I am like FH, I really don't think we ever get to much rain here, but sometimes it does get sort of hectic trying to get hay up. One thing we do have sandy enough soil, that we don't worry much about the mud.

Lots of Curlews this year, real fun to watch, should try to get some pictures. Neighbors are using my pastures so don't get out in them as much anymore.

I believe the plant you mentioned is the Shell Leaf Penstemon. It is not used to much for forage but I don't think it is undesireable. The Indians used this plant for several things, toothache, snakebite fever, and the chills. The biological name is Penstemon grandiforus. Pemstemons are also called beard tongues, as one of the five stamens is stiff and hairy.

There are several penstemons that grow here, the others are smaller, there is a blue one, it started blooming a couple of weeks ago, we always called it bluebells. then there is a white one, I think others too.

I have received an invitation to go to Unkle Bucks Lodge in Brewster NE tomorrow afternoon at 3 PM to a wild flower thing. I don't suppose I will go, but it would be interesting as the speaker will be a Dr. Weedon from Chadron State College. He is to talk on the medicinal uses of plants and on those used by the Indians

Clarence,
That lecture sounds interesting. Hope you get to it.

I went to one recently ( somewhat reluctantly I'll admit but my friend was the organizer :wink: ) on the state of the plants and watershed in our community. Learned so much and heightened my awareness in some new areas- it made me ashamed I hadn't taken advantage of such offerings in the past. Also, it made me think that the community may delete these opportunities if turn-out is poor which would be a loss.

clarence----i am understanding where you are coming from with the rain....love it when you need it to make things grow and you are dry, but cuss it when you have hay to get up and it is getting soaked in the mean time!! wish ya luck....the rain is still coming down here...puddles in the driveway (small lakes actually...would not be surprised to find a fish or two :shock: ), but the valleys here are greener than most folks have seen them in a few decades!!

Clarence, I too hope you can go and give us a report of the meeting. Thanks for the info on the plants. I guess it's been so dry here,it's hard for me to be tired of the rain. Even though we have haying to do. Hopfully we can stock up on our hay supply this year. And corn, I have missed combining corn.

Clarence, I can sure understand where you are coming from. We have had more rain in the last 2 weeks than we have had in the last 5 years! If I had a boat, I could go water skiing in the corrals. We have about 100 acres of hay down, and too wet to bale. I don't want it to stop raining, but it would be nice if Mother Nature could just delay it about a week. :roll:

We have ahd 2.90 inches since tuesday here and everything is really green and my yard needs mowed but it is still to wet today to do that as got a half inch yesterday and then it is humid today and was just out and washed some windows and took off some storm iwndows so they dont' get broken in hail if we have any.
It is looking like it could rain anytime again and i am glad we got it as the dams are full in the places we need them and the grass and HAY is growing so now it can let up some for awhile and warm up and let it grow but an always afraid ti say to quit in this country for sure.
this is as green as have seen it in a long time around here in teh second week in June.
Now the husband and brother are baler shopping and guess they found one to their price range in Highmore,SD so suppsoe there will be a trip there in teh future.
Anyone hear any news on this mad cow thing as have jsut caught small parts on it on the local tv station and radio so don't know where it is suppsoe to be/
Ok everyone take care and hope the summer treats you all well. :) :)

As it happened, I did take nr's and Katrina's suggestion, and drive the 120 mile to listen to Dr. Weedons talk. It was interesting, but covered so much all at one time. Will have look at some of the handouts he gave.

Dr. Weedon is now teaching what he calls Ethnobotany. From my take on it, it is the study of how people and plants interact. We think of using plants for food and shelter, but for centuries people have had other uses for them, especially for medicine.

He mentioned that some of the recent discoveries in chemicals we are now using, for example in cancer treatment, are found in plants that had been used for maybe as long as 5000 years.

This was the third year I had gone to, what the Lady that runs Uncle Bucks calls a wildflower walk. I guess when she first starte it, there was a field trip involved, now she just has someone in to talk. We finished the day with a wild edible meal. Here is some of what she served: Flower and Field Green Salad, Raseberry and Vinegarette Dressing, Herbal Dressing, Herbal & Veggie Pizza, Buffalo Meatballs, Johnnie Jumpup Deviled eggs, (deviled eggs with a Johnnie Jumpup blossom), Lambs Quarter Casserole, Rose petal Anglefood Cake, and Rose Hip Tea.

I have always been impressed with Uncle Bucks Lodge. Brewster is a tiny town on the North Loup river, hardly a spot on the map. These people. Rhoads, I believe is their name, built this lodge, I believe about 1995, for people who came out in the Nebraska Sandhills to hunt. They were and still are ranchers, but needed a means to produce more income for their families. Was quite a risky undertaking for the area and such a small town, but it seems to be successful. I believe they have a convention room, It seems it may be just the place for people who want to get away from the hustle and bustle.

As it happened, I did take nr's and Katrina's suggestion, and drive the 120 mile to listen to Dr. Weedons talk. It was interesting, but covered so much all at one time. Will have look at some of the handouts he gave.

Dr. Weedon is now teaching what he calls Ethnobotany. From my take on it, it is the study of how people and plants interact. We think of using plants for food and shelter, but for centuries people have had other uses for them, especially for medicine.

He mentioned that some of the recent discoveries in chemicals we are now using, for example in cancer treatment, are found in plants that had been used for maybe as long as 5000 years.

This was the third year I had gone to, what the Lady that runs Uncle Bucks calls a wildflower walk. I guess when she first starte it, there was a field trip involved, now she just has someone in to talk. We finished the day with a wild edible meal. Here is some of what she served: Flower and Field Green Salad, Raseberry and Vinegarette Dressing, Herbal Dressing, Herbal & Veggie Pizza, Buffalo Meatballs, Johnnie Jumpup Deviled eggs, (deviled eggs with a Johnnie Jumpup blossom), Lambs Quarter Casserole, Rose petal Anglefood Cake, and Rose Hip Tea.

I have always been impressed with Uncle Bucks Lodge. Brewster is a tiny town on the North Loup river, hardly a spot on the map. These people. Rhoads, I believe is their name, built this lodge, I believe about 1995, for people who came out in the Nebraska Sandhills to hunt. They were and still are ranchers, but needed a means to produce more income for their families. Was quite a risky undertaking for the area and such a small town, but it seems to be successful. I believe they have a convention room, It seems it may be just the place for people who want to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Clarence, good for you. You deserve a reward for traveling 120 miles to a lecture! Even with pedal to the medal you had a long one.
Interesting menu of wild edibles. But not a simple one if you have to catch a buffalo first!

Latest posts