• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We've had 50 mile an hour wind here south of Rush, Co. Our rain drops were at least an inch and half apart. We also still have a roof overhead. Our turn is coming.

Our rain was very welcomed,,,but it varied on different area's of the ranch...anywhere from 2 1/2" to 4"...maybe could of gotten more, but with the wind blowing so hard, maybe some of the rain missed the rain gauge..lol

From 2.8 to 3.5 here. It ran enough water so I am set for this year. Now if we just keep getting enough so the grass keeps going later it will be a good year.

My daughter called me a while ago--today they drove from up here in Northeast Montana to South Central Montana (Big Timber) and she said it rained all the way down- and all the creeks and draws on the trip down were running water.... :D She said she doesn't remember ever seeing the country so green.... :D

We've had 4 days of showers and wicked ESE winds- took down another section of the old windbreak...
So far we've picked up .6 on an inch of moisture so far- which is going to help the crops and grass- but no runoff for the water holes....
Wind went down this afternoon- and showers still going thru...
We must have been on the edge of the heavy stuff- because 50 miles west of us got over 4 inchs and its still raining....

We've been in Curtis, NE all weekend (Friday and today) for the Junior High Rodeo Finals. They had, I heard, between 8 1/2 - 10". Most of it while we were there... Fortunately the rodeo was indoors. We were all sure glad to see the sun shine today!! We had just over an inch here at home.

3.30" here since Weds. Can just about watch the grass grow! Came nice and gentle with enough runoff to fill a dugout that has been dry for several years. The bottom was soaked up from the May snow melt so it should last for the season.

1.6" of slow beautiful rain. Not quite enough to run water in the water holes yet but still awful nice. Heard they have had 6.25" 30 miles west of me in the Little Rocky Mtns. That should keep Beaver Creek running for a while!

mtrancher said:
1.6" of slow beautiful rain. Not quite enough to run water in the water holes yet but still awful nice. Heard they have had 6.25" 30 miles west of me in the Little Rocky Mtns. That should keep Beaver Creek running for a while!

I heard that about the Little Rockies Area...That should help bring the old Milk back up.....Looks to me like about all of Phillips County got a pretty good soaking...Looking at the weatherservices precip map it looks like most of Phillips County got 2 to 5 inchs.. :)
About the only folks that got kind of left out is the Opheim area (.65) and the far northeast corner of the state (Plentywood area)...

I 've had to attend quite a few graduation celebrations the last few days- got to see lots of people from quite an area- and it sure has folks smiling- lots of talk about the grass being made for the year...

I just finished a great book by Pearl Baker called Robbers Roost Recollections. She grew up on the ranch in southeastern Utah near the Henry mountains made famous by Butch cassidy and the wild bunch. Here is her quote about rain; "Oh the miracle of rain on the desert! The exquisite, sensuous joy of it. Every sense is delighted, not only is the dust washed from the trees, from the very earth! But also the air is fresh crystal. Every blade of grass is shining, every leaf stands out individually immaculate, every rock and cliff and mesa glows with new clarity, and the whole scene is bathed in fresh color, new as first creation. And the smells-- oh, the wonderful odor of wet sage and cedar, the subtle aromas of grasses and brush and trees, and the freshly opened flowers throw out veritable skeins of perfume to tempt the wandering bee. The very earth smells alive again. Across the suddenly purified distance heavenly sounds drift seemingly for miles-- plash of water that has been too long forgotten, bird songs that are paeans of thanksgiving and the rarer, more subtle voices of the other small folk of the suddenly teeming desert add their under-chords until the world hums with sheer delight. The very air has substance; it can be felt against the skin not as weightless atmosphere, but as a caress of emolience. Suddenly one is wrapped in living radiance of euphoria. The rain has come! Once again life is sweet on the tongue, and God is near and good."
Spoken like a rancher or farmer who so dearly depends on the moisture from the clouds to allow the lifestyle we all cherish. Thanks for the rain Lord! :D

We had a downpour on sat. and another one yesteday...got .70 between the two :D :D Whoo Hoo :D :D Thank you Lord is right!!!

Another .50" since last night thru this morning and still at it. That brings the total since last Weds to 3.80"! :D

Latest posts