• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aztumbleweed

Reaction score
Well here in this part of Arizona we were pretty dry until august started now were over 3 inches and closing on 4. Sure takes a load off not having to pump water every day. Have feed coming again life is good. Sometimes God does smile upon us. I hope everybody is getting what they need. Feel sorry for the hay growers but I would rather have water and feed than feed hay.
Adios :D

Yes we are gettin rain too..almost daily. Was dry dry dry thru the last week of july looked like no more hay to be cut. Then it rained and hay started growin, n growin, n growin, and it's rainin, n rainin , need to cut hay, n it's rainin.....I'm not complainin cuz it'll eventually slack off and we'll git it cut.

I need to thank the Canadians---We had 100 degree days all during the fair & rodeo- then yesterday mid 80's- Today is in the 70's--The weather boys say it is a Canadian cool front that moved in--might even bring some showers which would be great...
Everyone has kind of put off hauling hay or doing anything they don't have to until we get moisture-- fires been starting all over the place- and harvesting is just beginning- be nice to get a good soaker before the combines all roll.......

Faster horses said:
OT, have you had any of the smoke from the fires?

We sure have, Sunday was especially smoky here.

Today was cool and a little wet. We had a few showers go through. Sure felt good...

No smoke yet- but the jet stream has been shooting south of us- I think that is changing tho...No showers yet either...

I must be living right- I got my wish-- Little storm came thru late last night and dropped .2--then another came thru this evening and gave us .6 more--Will hold up harvest for a few days, but will sure lessen the fire danger and wash off the pasture..... :D :D

Looks like Big Muddy could get a little shower out of this evenings storm....

Ended up with 2 and 3/10s Monday
6/10s yesterday
3.6 inches today (came down in about an hour)
The bottoms out and runnin wont see any cows for a couple days. If it's still out tomorrow I'll take pics and show you all what happens when we git a lil rain like that in South East texas.

Aztumbleweed, stay out of the Hassayampa with all this rain you're getting. Fills up pretty fast. Keep your powder dry.

Just arrived home last evening from an Alaskan adventure. We were privileged to get to use the windshield wipers as we drove the last fifty miles, and it was still raining when our good ol' dog greeted us on the front step. As we went through town and picked up our mail, fire trucks were being put away. There were a couple lightning-caused prairie fires until the downpour put them out. This morning the rain guage registers half an inch.

We had a grand time but it is great to be back in the Sandhills.

Soapweed said:
Just arrived home last evening from an Alaskan adventure. We were privileged to get to use the windshield wipers as we drove the last fifty miles, and it was still raining when our good ol' dog greeted us on the front step. As we went through town and picked up our mail, fire trucks were being put away. There were a couple lightning-caused prairie fires until the downpour put them out. This morning the rain guage registers half an inch.

We had a grand time but it is great to be back in the Sandhills.

Welcome Home :D

Casa Paloma
I am a ways from the hassayampa managing a place out northwest of Catalina. Plenty of quick running water out here. We did not get any rain yesterday but we are at 3.9 inches for August. It will make it a little harder to gather the end of this month all the little mud holes will have water in them will have cattle scattered all over 97 sections. Oh well thats what we get paid for. Place used to have triggers all over it but somebody tore them all out. Have to go pick up 2 more horses for the works had 2 get into barrel cactus so they will be out for awhile.
Adios

Aztumbleweed said:
Casa Paloma
I am a ways from the hassayampa managing a place out northwest of Catalina. Plenty of quick running water out here. We did not get any rain yesterday but we are at 3.9 inches for August. It will make it a little harder to gather the end of this month all the little mud holes will have water in them will have cattle scattered all over 97 sections. Oh well thats what we get paid for. Place used to have triggers all over it but somebody tore them all out. Have to go pick up 2 more horses for the works had 2 get into barrel cactus so they will be out for awhile.
Adios

" Place used to have triggers all over the place." Now whats a trigger? Not familiar with that term.

Big Muddy,
Allot of these places where you typically control the water you build traps(barb wire pens) and put a set of triggers made out of pipe or wood. When you want to catch your cattle you set the triggers (close them up) then the cattle have to push in to get a drink and cant get back out. If I can get my wife to take a picture of the one we have back in operation I'll post it so you can see. :)

Aztumbleweed said:
Big Muddy,
Allot of these places where you typically control the water you build traps(barb wire pens) and put a set of triggers made out of pipe or wood. When you want to catch your cattle you set the triggers (close them up) then the cattle have to push in to get a drink and cant get back out. If I can get my wife to take a picture of the one we have back in operation I'll post it so you can see. :)

Now I get the picture. Guess i just never heard them called that. Thanks

We had a storm roll through here last evening, and it was spotty as most summer storms are. I had a fast quick shower that never amounted to much, but another HQ of ours down the road a few miles had almost an inch. It was appreciated. Then south of there it got lighter till about halfway to Belle Fourche it was running water in the creeks. That hasn't happened for a while in that country. They said around Belle, that there was from .3in to 2 inches in places.

Keep it coming. This cool damp August weather puts good weight on the calves.

Jake, you bet it will~

We didn't get any moisture last night but we saw all the lightening. We had .3 the night before. And Fog. We've been having a lot of fog; it was really thick this morning. There was a little breeze and you could see the moisture moving. It ran down the windows some too. Lets see, 90 days from fog, that would be Nov. 10. :shock:

Latest posts