• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Raising cattle in tough conditions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

creativecattle

Reaction score
Last August we did this video for Dusty A Ranch, Arizona. They raise cattle in some pretty tough conditions compared to us. What are some of the challenges that you guys face?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLIuoa_z64

To see more videos visit www.youtube.com/apicreativemedia

Northern Rancher said:
Other than 6-7 months of winter it's pretty sweet where I'm at!!!
Oh come now NR. The first foot of snow is just the end of fall and the last counts as the start of spring. It's really only 5-6 months of winter. :shock:

We are pretty lucky here. Water (some solid, some liquid), grass and cows. Four seasons (3 of them short).

RSL said:
Northern Rancher said:
Oh come now NR. The first foot of snow is just the end of fall and the last counts as the start of spring. It's really only 5-6 months of winter. :shock:

We are pretty lucky here. Water (some solid, some liquid), grass and cows. Four seasons (3 of them short).

Where we're at the three short seasons total two and a half months. :D :roll:

Northern Rancher said:
I was going to say the same thing, but your suppose to have 6-7 months of winter, not us :wink:

Other than the 3 or 4 months of green grass (which means I gotta sit in a tractor) everything is pretty good here.

Tough conditions? It looks beautiful in that video. They even have a pivot. I know they have extreme heat and I wish they would have shown more tough conditions, as there was a quick scene of some desert.
I looked up their annual precipition in Arizona which was a little over 12" and looked up ours which is under 12".
I would say my tough conditions are:
There's not a tree on the place except for the ones that were planted. I can't remember a single summer that the temperature never went over a 100 F and I can't remember a single winter that the temp. never went below -40. The only thing the weather man can predict is the wind.
Other than that I wouldn't want to ranch any other place. (Well I guess I would like a stream, creek or river bottom with some brush. Heck even a coulee)

Latest posts