• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ralgro and bulls?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
The other day I helped a neighbor process 400 calves. He is saving about 15 head of bulls he bought that weigh around 700 now. Anyway, he implanted all of them with Ralgro. Your thoughts? I was always told not to implant anything that you plan to breed?

Is this guy selling these Bulls? I have been told was a big no no. If he's saving for himself what's the point of getting them growing as fast as they can?

From the Ralgro website

Can Ralgro® implants be used in replacement heifers?
Yes. Ralgro® implants are approved for use in replacement heifers between one month of age and weaning.

What other cattle may be implanted with Ralgro?
Suckling beef calves
Growing beef cattle
Feedlot heifers and steers
Ralgro® implants are not approved for use in dairy cattle, veal calves or bulls intended for reproduction.

I would say it depends if he is feeding them or planning to use them.

Back in the Day when bigger was better in the show cattle deal, had several customers who thought ralgro was THE cure. It was until semen collection came calling. Sent every one to the sale barn. Heifers tended to grow but fertility was poor, catching heats was next to impossible.

cowman52 said:
Back in the Day when bigger was better in the show cattle deal, had several customers who thought ralgro was THE cure. It was until semen collection came calling. Sent every one to the sale barn. Heifers tended to grow but fertility was poor, catching heats was next to impossible.

Your comment is what I always observed also. This guy has never raised his own bulls before and has always fed out his own steers, which he implants. He bought some younger pure bred Angus bulls that he is trying to get big enough to turn out on cows this spring. It will be interesting to see how they semen test.

Sounds like he took a wrong turn there. Bulls are loaded with testosterone. If they're too young to breed cows then that's just the wrong set of bulls for his cows. I'd be very wary.

when it comes time to do a BSE, if he does, he'll have to use a magnifying glass to find their nuts.

Latest posts