• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch Pics, 12-27-15

Help Support Ranchers.net:

When I used to feed small square bales I loved snow about that depth - - - I took the beaters off an old manure spreader, stacked the hay in the baled with all the twine removed, hooked the spreader behind a grader blade. The floor chain would slowly move the hay out the back and I could regulate the speed of the chain to get the spread I wanted.

I would plow the snow down to frozen ground and spread hay right in the cleared area all in one pass. Almost no waste at all and the cattle got to eat on clean ground each day. I was several years younger at that time and thought the "Heat Houser" on my D17 Allis Chalmers was great. Then in 1974 I bought a 4230JD with heated and air conditioned cab - - - I have been spoiling myself ever since and feel a climate controlled cab is no longer an option - - - it is required!

We have so many voles and moles; they have made a real mess of hayfields. Now we notice a lot more weasels. Since there are no chickens nearby, we are glad to see them and hope they make a dent in the rodents population. Last year, chicken hawks set on the
bales and hunted them. The darn moles and voles are everywhere!

Brrr that looks cold! Looks like you have quite a bit of snow. We have very little in the valley but our mountains are supposed to be above average. I sure don't miss chopping ice. Enjoyed your pictures!

was -32 Sunday morning, Couldn't get the tractor started Monday, Neighbor fed for me. Tuesday had to go on a battery search, good neighbor fed again. Finally got the tractor running yesterday and got everything caught back up. Got up to +10 yesterday back down close to =20 this morning.

jodywy said:
was -32 Sunday morning, Couldn't get the tractor started Monday, Neighbor fed for me. Tuesday had to go on a battery search, good neighbor fed again. Finally got the tractor running yesterday and got everything caught back up. Got up to +10 yesterday back down close to =20 this morning.

On equipment you need in the cold cut one heater hose, put hydraulic quick couplers in the line, do the same with your pick-up truck. Then make a couple of 20' heater hoses with one male and one female coupler on each.

Drive your pick-up up to the cold equipment and hook them together, your temp gauge in the pick-up will go down and about 10 minutes later it will be back to normal and the equipment will start like summer time. When I worked away from home I had this for all my equipment - - - sure saves on batteries, starters and tempers.

George said:
jodywy said:

On equipment you need in the cold cut one heater hose, put hydraulic quick couplers in the line, do the same with your pick-up truck. Then make a couple of 20' heater hoses with one male and one female coupler on each.

Drive your pick-up up to the cold equipment and hook them together, your temp gauge in the pick-up will go down and about 10 minutes later it will be back to normal and the equipment will start like summer time. When I worked away from home I had this for all my equipment - - - sure saves on batteries, starters and tempers.
Like that, do have a block heater and a trany heater and park by power.

Latest posts