• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch record keeping apps for Ipad

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kosmo1

Reaction score
It's a new era for the spearhead/green valley ranches as I have acquired a new ipad for calving/cattle records. Earlier this fall I determined that there must be an easier way of keeping records than a mead notebook so I am converting to digital. My intention is to take my ipad/keyboard combo to the corrals with me and input data as I work cattle through the chute.

Does anyone do this and does it work well for you?

I was going to use an excel spreadsheet app but I am wondering if there are some affordable and efficient ranch record keeping apps that you all recommend.

As always, thank-you in advance.

Ranch Manager has an iPad app. I have used the Windows based program on my laptop and I am real pleased with it. However, I don't have any direct experience with the iPad app. The only downside of the program on the laptop is it seems to run kind of slow. I don't know if that is due to the database architecture or some other reason. It is a pretty reasonable price and it is as easy as any program I tried to get up and running with a minimum of work. We raise almost all of our bulls and the program has a pretty nice feature where it will identify inbreeding back several generations. All you have to do is tell it to move the cows and bulls to the same pasture and it pulls up the inbreeding part of the program. If you want to know anything more specific feel free to ask.

The folks that do the High Plains Ranch Practicum school have a couple nice YouTube videos about developing your own record keeping for Apple products via a Google account. The data is automatically saved in a spreadsheet format and time stamped. It can then be accessed from your IPad chute side or your computer in the house. This method allows you to determine the exact data you want to collect. This is the link to the first video in the series
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dOLTng7rFE4

Good luck!

Latest posts