• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ranch roping"practice"playing and the kids

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jerry H

Reaction score
we went to a freinds place last week and spent a few hours playing
-2.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

DSCN0265-2.jpg

DSCN0277-2.jpg

DSCN0280-2.jpg

DSCN0289-2.jpg

DSCN0297-2.jpg

DSCN0330-2.jpg

DSCN0331-2.jpg

DSCN0335-2.jpg

DSCN0337-2.jpg

DSCN0338-2.jpg

DSCN0340-2.jpg

DSCN0341-2.jpg

until later
jerry

That does look like a fun day :D . Your kids are very cute. I kinda like the brown horse too, he'd look better in Wyoming I think :wink: .

WyomingRancher said:
That does look like a fun day :D . Your kids are very cute. I kinda like the brown horse too, he'd look better in Wyoming I think :wink: .
thakyou it was a fun day
and i kinda like the kids also but i am biased for sure
the brown horse belongs to my daughter and she is riding him in the pic's and i gaurantee she would you and me both tooth and nail if we tried to load him up for wyoming
he's great i started as a 3 year old and knew on about the 10th ride he was for her
funny thing about him is he is a very well bred horse to be a western pleasure horse but he's a darn nice cowhorse
thanks again
jerry

CattleArmy said:
Looks like and enjoyable day. You guys don't turn the steers out a chute?
we had alot of fun
and no we don't turn them out of a chute and team rope them
they are have alot of ranch ropings these days and i find them to be more fun to me
we just hold them up in a corner and head one and lead them out and rope them with fancy heel loops and not chase or stress the cattle the same way we do it at the ranch where stress cost money or death loss
until later
jerry

hi paul
thanks
and yes that is a tesky's saddle
i got that one this spring and i ike it better than the last one
micheal told me you called him
did you get a saddle from them?
until later
jerry

I was gonna. I then talked to a guy who who built me a saddle like I wanted for $1500. It's a plain jane but it's built to work and I like the fit on my horses. I did order a new pulling collar from Oliver's in Amarillo. Real good quality. ...Paul

Is a pulling collar the same thing as a breast collar?

If so besides for say team ropings or ranch ropings why does anybody use them?

I know the theory that it helps keeping the saddle in place but if not roping huge critters several don't use one so I wondered what different theories on them are?

If so besides for say team ropings or ranch ropings why does anybody use them

its kinda like riding out without a rope....ya never know when ya might need it :wink: :)

Is a pulling collar the same thing as a breast collar?

a pulling collar frees up the horse's shoulder as well as keeping the saddle forward (as I understand it).....

Jerry, nice taps, and real nice pony. I have a friend who is a big operater, and all they buy are Teskeys saddles, they plow alot of brush and catch alot of big brahma x stuff tied on and those saddles hold up real well. Later

TwoRopes, a few years ago I ordered a pair of Rawhide Tapaderas from Big Bend Saddlery. When I put them on my saddle some folks around hear gave me some funny looks. I didn't care cause I remember the wreck I had in a cedar thicket. A fellow on horseback, in thicket, wild cows, cur dogs, funny(not) what can sometimes happen. Paul

cowcatcher said:
TwoRopes, a few years ago I ordered a pair of Rawhide Tapaderas from Big Bend Saddlery. When I put them on my saddle some folks around hear gave me some funny looks. I didn't care cause I remember the wreck I had in a cedar thicket. A fellow on horseback, in thicket, wild cows, cur dogs, funny(not) what can sometimes happen. Paul
I worked for a big ranch in south Texas when I was a teenager, and we made fun of the vaqueros and thier taps, until I ran a yucca stob through my boot, into my foot where it broke off. There is some kind of toxin in yucca since my foot swelled up like a clown foot almost immediatly. We couldnt get it out, so the boss had to take me to town to the doctor and have it removed,(He was not happy about our lack of productivity, as it was shipping time) long story short, taps are cool, very cool.

hey two ropes thanks
those toefenders came from down your way when i was working in the kingsville area a freind of mine that is the forman or cattle mng made them he still lives down there
and i would not be without them over a pair of 3 inch nettles sturrips

i have talked with miceal tesky and the head saddle maker there a lot and they made this saddle just like i wanted it to fit my little girl figure and still be able to handle some ruff work as this outfit i work tends to get pretty western somtimes
until later
jerry

Faster horses said:
Jerry, I like your style. And the brown horse. And your kids.
Great that you can have fun without torturing the cattle or the horses.
Again, I like your style!!!
thanks fh
i like to rope like that when i can
we branded like that in neveda alot and doctored yearlings the same way in wyoming
but you can bet when things go to getting western in the brush i will tie on in the middle of that rope and git er done when i don't have any help
but i don't have to rope much now days as i wag around some dogs that i think are hedy as they come
until later
jerry

Oh ya, Jerry, I know it has to get western sometimes, but not in the situation in the pictures...but some can needlessly make evne play more
western than it needs to be.

I've seen it both ways. Sometimes there is no choice. I'm not wimpy when
it comes to what is necessary as long as it isn't needless. I like 'not much dust'. That's Mr. FH way. He doesn't even holler at cows and he gets a lot done, and most of it alone. So he has to know how a cow thinks...and he does. I, and others, tell him he is a "cow whisperer". It really is amazing. : :)

i know what you mean fh
handling cattle is just riding a good horse
it's all about timing rythem and feel
not muscle and braun
i tell these young guys that come around that their are 2 kinds of cow hands
those set things up and let them happen and those that try to make things happen
and if they are in the category of the latter to just go on and get used to them posthole diggers because they'll be usin them alot
and they just need to stay out of my way as i'm not going to kill off my horses and dogs fixing what they run off
just my opinion
until later
jerry

That's been the most rewarding part about trying to improve my horses and my riding... the lighter my horses become, the lighter my cattle are to handle. I am no way near where I want to be with them, but it's a kick trying to figure it out, and seeing small improvements along the way :) .

In regards to "setting things up and letting them happen", I've got a pesky bull who's located in heavy brush, three miles from the corral and/or a clearing I can get a trailer near. My first instinct is to try and trail him out, but I don't think I'd make it... He has way too many brushing up opportunities. I may try and trail some cows to him, and then try to trail him out with them (where's a cow in heat when you need her?!), or I may just have to wait it out until he starts looking for company again. I just know it would be sooo easy for him to learn how to completely brush up, and I wouldn't have a prayer getting him :D .

He may end up wintering on the forest if his attitude doesn't change :D . Life is too short to have a bull ruin your day :wink: .

Latest posts