• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ranch roping"practice"playing and the kids

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Have any of you guys ever made your own taps, and if you have did you use a pattern or just trial and error. Been wanting to get a pair, after a bad rodeo wreck and now I am scared of hanging up in stirups, but I am not sure of how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated. By the way I have been reading this board for a little while now and finally joined. My name is Darrin and I moved to georgia from wyoming about 2 years ago. Ranched out there and we came here to rebuild my deceased father in laws place that had become timber land and now making it back into good cattle ground. Nice to meet yall.

Carnes Lake Cattle Co said:
Have any of you guys ever made your own taps, and if you have did you use a pattern or just trial and error. Been wanting to get a pair, after a bad rodeo wreck and now I am scared of hanging up in stirups, but I am not sure of how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated. By the way I have been reading this board for a little while now and finally joined. My name is Darrin and I moved to georgia from wyoming about 2 years ago. Ranched out there and we came here to rebuild my deceased father in laws place that had become timber land and now making it back into good cattle ground. Nice to meet yall.

Welcome, where in Wyoming did you live? I'm in the southeast corner.

BRAVO, Jerry.

As I said, I like your style. :)

Years ago we had a Horse Finding business where we put buyers and sellers together. Oh, yeah, we did some horse trading too...but we had a good reputation and we worked with a man from St. Ignatius that had an uncanny way of knowing what horse fit what person. We were selling
horses sight unseen into Wyoming and didn't get any back. It was pretty heady stuff. Anyway, our partner brought a horse down to our country in W. Montana for some folks that were more or less farmers that weren't horse savvy, so Bob sent him a very gentle and nice horse.

In a little while the fellow called because he wasn't getting along with the horse. Mr. FH asked him what the problem was and the reply was that he jumped the irrigation ditches too high. Mr. FH said, "That's all? Nothing else?" The guy said no, but he wanted Bob, our partner to take the horse home and ride him some more. So we called Bob and he agreed, althought we all thought this was an unusual request. So we got the horse to Bob. It wasn't but a day or two that Bob called the buyer of the horse and told him, "Who has been riding this horse? Whoever it is, they need to be riding a tractor, not a horse." They had hit the horse over the head and a few more things that showed up when Bob started riding him.

Sometimes it isn't the horse that causes the problem, IT"S THE RIDER!!!

Don't know why I posted this here. :p Just cuz I thought of it I guess...
or it has to do with "raise no dust".

Carnes Lake Cattle Co said:
hello and welcome to the board
i don't believe that taps will keep you from hanging in a sturrip but the will keep you from putting your foot thru one
however if you ride good sturrips you can't hardly get your foot thru one of them
the long roper style sturrips that you see most team ropers with just don't work for me as i can get my foot thru them
i ride visalia's they are not as long "top to bottom" and you can get them from oxbows to six inchs deep
and i spend the extra money and buy the nettles sturrips as i have a phobiea of being drug and i had a tin covered sturrip close up on my foot once when a horse fell with me
but i rode him up and a fella about 5 miles down the road from where i was took it loose for me after i finally got there
any how just my thoughts on sturrips
until later
jerry

fh
thats a good story
i have traded lots of horses thru the years and i try rel hard not to sell someone a horse that they can't ride or get along with as this just gives you a bad name and very few repeat custumers
and i fell sorry for horses that are not used to their full potential or wasted on some dink that can't ride
until later
jerry

that is so true fh
i may trade 10 horses a year now where it used to be truck loads of them
and people are defintly different now days
until later
jerry

that is so true fh
i may trade 10 horses a year now where it used to be truck loads of them
and people are defintly different now days
until later
jerry