• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch Women of the Past

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
Women advocating gun control.
d3d98c4d00ef9fcd4b535ad632626d47.jpg

I want these pants but they are on backorder waiting for Pony Express to deliver to UPS.

aefdcb7f2181d93605be63b10ae2ed90.jpg

The stance no rancher ever wanted his wife to take.
A hand or hands on the hips is never a good thing.

cowgirls-west-photographs-small.jpg

The lady on the right is the look I love and admire. I once copied this look but
always wore my revolver with the grip backwards on my left side. It made for a
quicker smoother draw with the right hand. I also had it hanging higher and not
so low hung. I bet the dog is a real sweetie. The gal on the left needs help selecting pants.

4d2038ae6f5be038545dafe96f2b15e8.jpg

Women advocating gun control.
View attachment 1159

I want these pants but they are on backorder waiting for Pony Express to deliver to UPS.

View attachment 1160

The stance no rancher ever wanted his wife to take.
A hand or hands on the hips is never a good thing.

View attachment 1161

The lady on the right is the look I love and admire. I once copied this look but
always wore my revolver with the grip backwards on my left side. It made for a
quicker smoother draw with the right hand. I also had it hanging higher and not
so low hung. I bet the dog is a real sweetie. The gal on the left needs help selecting pants.

View attachment 1163
Interesting. We knew a few old cowgirls. They were quite the characters and could do anything and everything. Have you ever heard of Ann Secrest? She was married to Walt Secrest and then married John Hanson. She was one.

There were sisters, Margaret Brander and Violet Brander who were one of the first women in rodeo. They built an arena by hand on their ranch near Avon Montana. One of them wrote a book "Let "R Buck". They were quite the pair.

I saved a picture of three young ladies who rode at Miles City back around 1910. I searched for it this morning and so far haven't found it in the computer.

I saved a picture of three young ladies who rode at Miles City back around 1910. I searched for it this morning and so far haven't found it in the computer.
Have you ever been in the Museum in Miles City?
It's been more then 20 years for me but it was interesting.
Dang I can't believe it's been that long ago. I must be getting old.
Just asked the wife, she thinks it was 1995

Have you ever been in the Museum in Miles City?
It's been more then 20 years for me but it was interesting.
Dang I can't believe it's been that long ago. I must be getting old.
Just asked the wife, she thinks it was 1995
That is the Range Riders museum and it really is a good one. IF you like cowboy/cowgirl stuff.
Gee, I wonder if Cody has ever visited there? 😀

I was there in August 2015. My youngest daughter was living there back then.
Cody isn't going to some backwoods place like Miles City........ I would seriously doubt that he even know anything about Miles unless someone mentioned it to him. Then he would do a google search and know everything.

That is the Range Riders museum and it really is a good one. IF you like cowboy/cowgirl stuff.
Gee, I wonder if Cody has ever visited there? 😀
I visited that museum in 1960. I was there again in the early 1970s.

1960 somewhere on the highway west of Miles City headed to Billings.

Bison 1960 Miles City, Mt.jpg

I found the picture I was looking for. Posted the picture and it wouldn't let me add the narrative. So here it is.

1917 In Miles City, Montana, here are three cowgirls at the Miles City Round-up. They are Clyde Lindsay, Mildred Douglas and Ruby Dickey.

Looks like the one gal borrowed that big hat for the picture as she has another one in her hand.
Good eye but why no comment on the two gals with quirts from you cowboys. One of my grandmas was known for carrying a quirt on her wrist. I didn't comprehend fully my grandpa's saying that my grandma, "was a no poop kind of gal." I thought the quirt was for the boy cousins, rebellious mules, and rattlesnakes. I thought wrong but only once.

Last edited:
Those three gals would have been about the same age as my Grandma. It would have been interesting to hear their stories.

I did a little more research on the picture and found this.

Appearing at the Miles City, Montana Round-up were professional cowgirls Clyde Lindsay, Mildred Douglas (Chrisman), and Ruby Dickey (Wilks). Great boots, two quirts, and, curiously, four hats were in view. All gals were wearing split skirts and spurs. Now that was some STYLE!
Mildred Douglas was elected to the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. A champion bronc rider, she was the first woman to ride a steer. Mildred gained fame as a trick rider and shooter with Miller Brothers 101 Ranch Show. She later appeared in several western films with Tom Mix.
Moreover, Mildred trained horses, lions, and leopards that worked in films and circuses. In 1954 at age 59, she became a professional nurse. The photographer was Ralph R. Doubleday.
Who wouldn't want to sit for hours and listen to these women's stories?

I knew that Mildred would have stories about her as she was elected to the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. I was looking for any stories about Ruby or Clyde. Hadn't found any yet.

Latest posts