• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

rancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Rancher, you posted that you were tired of Canadian ranchers riding the shirt tails of US ranchers. Could you expand on this?

Could you mean that US ranchers built Packing plants for US ranchers?

Could it mean that JD and New Holland haying eqip. is built by US ranchers for Us ranchers?

Have US ranchers built feedlots for the exclusive use of US ranchers?

Maybe these were built by Iinvestors that could see that they were dealing in a global market and needed more the the US economy to grow and prosper.

Who built Creekstone? They wanted to access Canadian cattle to test. Were you in favor of Creekstone or not?

Are you in favor of the US exporting beef to other countries?

You been to Texas drinking? :???: I don't remember posting that. Would you bring it up and refresh my memory please. :???:

Excuse me, please accept my apology.
It was Denny Blowers that posted.' The fact is your cattle industry was formed on the shirt tails of US ranchers.And if we have to live hand to mouth to insure you are still ranching next year I say more power to keeping the border closed.
I sure do get sick of all you canadians blameing us for your problems then you still want our cash. "

Maybe Denny would like to answer the above questions.

Here I thought you took up morning drinking and I would have to send Haymaker up to dry you out.

frasercattleco said:
NAFTA, no checkoff, awnser your question Hat?

Read it and weep, frasercattleco & HAT. You don't get by throwing a rumor out without backing it up:

Under the beef checkoff program, imports of live cattle are assessed $1.00 per head and imported beef and beef products are assessed an equivalent amount.

The link: http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/mpb/beef/beefchk.htm#Production,

Hat said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
frasercattleco said:

I think your wrong. Checkoff is collected on all imports. That is why Check-off advertises all beef and not just US beef.

A US program should only advertise US beef, if this is done I would be in favor of keeping it. I do not need to pay $800 a year to advertise Canadian, SA, or Australian beef.

I imagine that the importers would be happy if they didn't have to pay check-off either as most of your imports are processed meats, fast food meat or highend resturant trade meat that get's advertised anyways and let generic US meat look after it's self.

Well, that is good. If they sell their cattle in our system, they SHOULD pay for advertisement. I wasn't tossing out rumors, you ssure are quick to accuse Bull Burger!

Ever hear of a mistake, aberration, bloomer, blooper, blunder, boner, boo-boo, bungle, confusion, delusion, erratum, false move, false step, fault, faux pas, flub, fluff, gaffe, goof, howler, illusion, inaccuracy, inadvertence, lapse, misapplication, misapprehension, miscalculation, misconception, misinterpretation, misjudgment, misprint, misstatement, misstep, misunderstanding, muddle, neglect, omission, overestimation, oversight, slight, slip, slip-up, snafu, solecism, trip, typo, underestimation.
Does that awnser your question?

Big Muddy rancher said:
frasercattleco said:

I think your wrong. Checkoff is collected on all imports. That is why Check-off advertises all beef and not just US beef.

Big Muddy- Not trying to argue--I agree checkoff is supposed to be collected on all imports-- But for info, and maybe if you don't know, someone else does-- does immigration collect the checkoff? Reason I'm wondering- is that I'm hearing many stories about cattle in non-brand inspected areas that are being sold private treaty- like directly to a feedlot that are having no checkoff collected... If these cattle are going directly to an Iowa feedlot- who collects the checkoff? Or if the border opens and they go by sealed container truck from Saskatchewan to a Nebraska packer for slaughter?

frasercattleco said:
Ever hear of a mistake, aberration, bloomer, blooper, blunder, boner, boo-boo, bungle, confusion, delusion, erratum, false move, false step, fault, faux pas, flub, fluff, gaffe, goof, howler, illusion, inaccuracy, inadvertence, lapse, misapplication, misapprehension, miscalculation, misconception, misinterpretation, misjudgment, misprint, misstatement, misstep, misunderstanding, muddle, neglect, omission, overestimation, oversight, slight, slip, slip-up, snafu, solecism, trip, typo, underestimation.

Just on the R-CALF press releases........................ :?

frasercattleco said:
Does that awnser your question?

Sounds like something from R-CALF. :cowboy:

We live a couple of hours north of North Dakota, and I've never met one person who ever took a calf to a sale barn there. If cattle ever went south it was because they were bought in a Canadian auction to fill an American order.

We pay $2.00 checkoff in Manitoba. No matter how many times an animal changes hands, the checkoff is paid. A calf that is sold at weaning, then sold to a grasser, then sold to a feedlot earns $6.00 in checkoff money. It can add up.

I wish it ALL went for advertising, but some goes to legal fees for ..... :roll:

Hat said:
My father in law lives in a no brand area and they don't collect checkoff when sold private treaty. This is the norm in their area. I wonder what percentage of cattle that aren't sold @ a sale barn get checkoff collected on them?

You have to get a hold of the state beef council because the brand inspectors don't collect it here either . I don't know anybody that doesn't send it in because the penalty is steep.

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
frasercattleco said:

Big Muddy- Not trying to argue--I agree checkoff is supposed to be collected on all imports-- But for info, and maybe if you don't know, someone else does-- does immigration collect the checkoff? Reason I'm wondering- is that I'm hearing many stories about cattle in non-brand inspected areas that are being sold private treaty- like directly to a feedlot that are having no checkoff collected... If these cattle are going directly to an Iowa feedlot- who collects the checkoff? Or if the border opens and they go by sealed container truck from Saskatchewan to a Nebraska packer for slaughter?

When we sell fats in canada the check-off is collected at the plant. I would imagine it would be the same in the US unless it is collected at the border when the cattle are inspected.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

When we sell fats in canada the check-off is collected at the plant. I would imagine it would be the same in the US unless it is collected at the border when the cattle are inspected.

i don't think the packers pay checkoff to slaughter (could be wrong)- but the point of ownership change would be in Canada--so immigration should collect.....

I've been a checkoff backer from day one- but since the suit came up I've had many thruout the country tell me of the inequities of the collection on it- Always looking for first hand info.....As a brand inspector, it has been one of my heartaches- when the checkoff people call you and they are missing $1000 checkoff that you put on the paperwork- and you have to run it down and get canceled checks and prove to them that they cashed it and just misplaced it--- until you show them, they make you feel like a thief......

Latest posts