• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranchers Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Kato said:
Isecond that yes...and I'll tell you my reason. I've talked via pm to numerous other American ranchers on here and they don't support R-calf because they say in the end it wasn't for the good of the American beef industry,instead it was to discredit the Canadian industry. Don't shoot the messanger,and NO I won't give you names.

And what says these "socalled anonymous" American ranchers are right- and all the thousands of ranchers that make up R-CALF are wrong :???:

Tuesday, March 13. 2007
Dennis McDonald Resigns from R-Calf
March 12, 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

The implosion of R-CALF occurred in large part as a result of the most
ferocious power grabs I have ever witnessed. The effort started more than a
year ago with a concerted effort to rid the organization of Leo McDonnell,
myself, and others. A letter written to Chuck Kiker, the President of
R-CALF, and sent by Bill Bullard says that Bullard was having trouble
working with the former President (Leo McDonnell) since Leo wanted to work
on other issues rather than the litigation effort alone. Bullard mentions
that this "inherent conflict worsened in 2006." Thus the stage was being set
for Leo's expulsion. I fought hard to prevent this outcome, but in the end I
failed and for that I apologize.

The effort continued to oust the founders since many of us felt that though
it is very important to prevent the importation of Canadian cattle, and
particularly cattle over 30 months of age, continued litigation was not the
proper course. We lost the original case and all knew further litigation had
only a remote chance of succeeding. Consequently, I felt asking producers to
continue to fund a losing effort without disclosing the long odds of success
was immoral. Instead, many of us thought trying the case in the arena of
public opinion and in the Congress was the proper course and could be done
at far less expense. Producers need to be told that further litigation will
cost over a million dollars and offers only a glimpse of hope. This policy
debate, however, was only incidental to the power grab that occurred on
February 8. It was on this date that Chuck Kiker and Leo were expelled.

The full letter of resignation was sent to Swift Horses and can be found
here. It is really sad to see that the whole founding group of R-Calf has
now resigned. I felt the move to a lobbying group in Washington was the
right thing to do and continuing to litigate was getting them nowhere. Denis
explains all this in the letter very well and R-Calf members need to sit up
and pay attention.

Dennis alludes to a new organization being formed called UNITED STATES
CATTLEMEN'S ASSOCIATION to carry on where R-Calf has left off in Washington.
I have no more information on this organization but I am interested to see
some information come out about it. Hopefully Swift Horses will have more
information as it comes along.

http://sarpysam.com/plugin/freetag/r-calf?url=plugin/freetag/r-calf

Wednesday, February 8. 2006
Bigger Picture
OIG Report Solidifies Position of U.S. Cattle Industry; USDA Continues to
Ignore Its Own Science

BILLINGS, MONT. (February 7, 2006) The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Office of Inspector General (OIG) issued a report that substantiates the
concerns raised by R-CALF USA when the organization filed its challenge to
USDA?s minimal risk region rule (Final Rule) that allowed into the United
States imports of beef and cattle from countries affected with bovine
spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

R-CALF USA has contended throughout its litigation that USDA officials were
ignoring the science surrounding BSE, including the recommendations of the
agency?s own scientists. Specifically, OIG found that USDA headquarters
ignored recommendations of its National Veterinary Services Laboratories
scientists.

?This report provides a documented example of how USDA dismisses the advice
of its own scientists, while simultaneously assuring the public that the
agency is following the science, and this conduct continues to cause great
concern among independent cattle producers,? said R-CALF USA CEO Bill
Bullard.

?It is past time for USDA to get its house in order, to acknowledge that it
has a problem, and to take immediate corrective action to ensure maximum
protections against the introduction of diseases like BSE,? Bullard
emphasized. ?USDA needs to implement Mandatory Country-of-Origin Labeling
(M-COOL) so consumers can distinguish U.S. beef from foreign beef, allow
private packers to voluntarily test for BSE so export markets can be more
fully opened, and require countries with multiple cases of BSE to implement
stronger, science-based risk mitigation measures to ensure that diseases are
adequately controlled before relaxing our country?s longstanding import
restrictions.?

Anybody who reads here regular knows my position on these things. The USDA
is controlled by the meat packers and sets it's policies in the meat packers
favor. The only place I would differentiate my self from the R-CALF
statement is I think Congress needs to investigate the USDA with an eye
towards removing the influences of the big agri business corporations that
guide USDA policies in their favor and punish he small producers of the US.

Basically, R-CALF is just worried about imported beef and it's affect on
producers and consumers while I feel we need to get the whole USDA under
control and responsive to Americas needs when it comes to food security and
safety ,not just as a pawn to protect beef producers from imports. Taking a
little bigger view of the situation will help all Americans and make R-CALF
seem like a less of a radical organization.

The trick to forgetting the big picture is to look at everything close-up.
Chuck Palahniuk

http://www.sarpysam.com/plugin/freetag/r-calf/P2.html

http://www.texascattleraisers.org/newsDesk/grinch_Billings_tscra_texas_cattle.asp

tss

Sandhusker said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Kato said:
Isecond that yes...and I'll tell you my reason. I've talked via pm to numerous other American ranchers on here and they don't support R-calf because they say in the end it wasn't for the good of the American beef industry,instead it was to discredit the Canadian industry. Don't shoot the messanger,and NO I won't give you names.

Good grief, this place is getting loonier and loonier. Who were you pming, SH and MRJ? Agman? Filing lawsuits to discredit Canadians makes more sense than filing lawsuits to protect your industry from importing disease? Come on, don't you think that if discrediting Canadians was the intent, a cheaper and more effective way could of been found? Just maybe?
Your kinda cute Sandhusker,not MRJ,SH or Agman although all good rancher members.

Your right a cheaper more effective way would have saved you guys dollars...don't you feel silly now :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mrs.Greg said:
Sandhusker said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Good grief, this place is getting loonier and loonier. Who were you pming, SH and MRJ? Agman? Filing lawsuits to discredit Canadians makes more sense than filing lawsuits to protect your industry from importing disease? Come on, don't you think that if discrediting Canadians was the intent, a cheaper and more effective way could of been found? Just maybe?
Your kinda cute Sandhusker,not MRJ,SH or Agman although all good rancher members.

Your right a cheaper more effective way would have saved you guys dollars...don't you feel silly now :lol: :lol: :wink:

Since that wasn't the intent of the action, no, I don't. Don't you feel silly for believing something that, once you think for a minute, is not believable at all?

In this argument of "Did R-Calf do anything to hurt Canadians?" I think back to when R-Calf was started. I believe it was started because they were concerned about Canadian imports. Their first lawsuit was to restrict imports from Canada....wouldn't that be hurtful to Canadians?.....Just a thought.

nightcalver said:
In this argument of "Did R-Calf do anything to hurt Canadians?" I think back to when R-Calf was started. I believe it was started because they were concerned about Canadian imports. Their first lawsuit was to restrict imports from Canada....wouldn't that be hurtful to Canadians?.....Just a thought.

The CFIA rejected demands from Canadian producers for private BSE testing, excluding them from markets in Asia.....wouldn't that be harmful to Canadians?..... just another thought.

nightcalver said:

You might be more right if you said "Tyson controlled imports".

I think a change in the USDA policy on bse just to allow Canadian imports was the legal issue although the control Tyson was exerting on supply is certainly another real issue.

If there are real problems in the past or currently with Canada allowing U.S. cattlemen to buy Canadian real estate (I really don't know the facts on this but will be glad if someone could inform), then why the big gripe when U.S. people get a little upset when over Canadians having a part of the U.S. market for beef? You can't argue both ways without being a hypocrite. It is apparent that Canada exacerbated the conflicts the domestic producers in the U.S. have with Tyson et al (others participated in the Pickett market manipulation fraud on the cattle markets, not just Tyson) by the Canadian govt. giving govt. money to Tyson who had just bought the largest slaughtering plant on the cheap and owned foreign supplies of beef.

U.S. domestic producers don't have to be quiet about these issues, even if the little Canadian producers were being damaged just as much by these packer policies in the long run by making all Canadian supplies captive to the U.S. market due to bse problems. These problems have never been addressed as Japan addressed them with testing. Instead, Canadians opted for the packer policy that has kept them out of every other big market for beef other than the U.S.

corn;

U.S.-Canada Corn Trade Dispute

http://www.nationalaglawcenter.org/assets/crs/RS22434.pdf

lobsters;

US-Canada Lobster Dispute
usa canada import dispute

http://www.american.edu/TED/LOBSTER.HTM

lumber;

Softwood Lumber Ruling in Canada's Favor No Break for Forests

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/HET/Softwood/disputes.htm

cattle;

http://giannini.ucop.edu/Carter_GF_conf.pdf

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&um=1&q=usa+canada+import+dispute&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=usa+canada+cattle+import+dispute&btnG=Search

usa canada export dispute

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=usa+canada+export+dispute&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=usa+canada+cattle+export+dispute&btnG=Search

IT's O.K. to poison 3rd world countries ;

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1994/05/20002001.pdf

On 20 February 1990, Dr Pickles wrote to Ms Verity
(APS/CMO). Dr Picklesí minute included the following:

1. Mr Meldrum is arguing that MAFF have already taken all the
necessary and responsible steps to warn importing countries
of the BSE dangers in UK meat and bone meal. Yet the action taken
so far overseas suggest the message has not got
through, or where it has this has been late. The first nation
that woke up to the danger did so a year after our own feed
ban. It seems even now several EC countries neither ban our
imports or the general feeding of ruminant protein. It also
seems the OIE and CVO have yet to inform the rest of the world.

2. I do not see how this can be claimed to be responsible. We
do not need an expert group of the Scientific Veterinary
Committee to tell us British meat and bone meal is unsafe for
ruminants. I fail to understand why this cannot be tackled
from the British end which seems to be the only sure way of doing
it, preferably by banning exports. As CMO says in his
letter of 3 January surely it is short sighted for us to risk
being seen in future as having been responsible for the
introduction of BSE to the food chain in other countries.[79]

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/02/20010001.pdf

http://www.mad-cow.org/00/jul00_dont_eat_sheep.html#hhh

it's just the neighborly way of doing business. nature of the beast $$$

TSS

Sandhusker and OT,

Ive got a deal .. if you guys dont want our beef and want to close the border to them... I say we should close our border to fertilizer going south from here and all the other commodities. Do you really think the US would be the superpower of the world if you didnt have all of the resources you get from Canada?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Sandhusker and OT,

Ive got a deal .. if you guys dont want our beef and want to close the border to them... I say we should close our border to fertilizer going south from here and all the other commodities. Do you really think the US would be the superpower of the world if you didnt have all of the resources you get from Canada?

We didn't shut our border to all trade when you restricted our cattle going north because of herd health safety dangers.....

How will that help you market beef? or hogs? From what I'm reading and the Canadians I've talked to- your market is in the toilet-and the border is open....

Like I said in the original post- and the reason I posted it--Are Canadians going to do anything to try and get some other markets opened- like testing for Asia? Like the Cams and rkaisers and members of BIG-C are promoting? I thought the sale of this plant may be an opportunity coming up....

Or are you part of the group that would rather blame the Evil American- and R-CALF for all Canada's problems and sit their in your self pity while your cattle industry topples....

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Sandhusker and OT,

OK, MR, let's say you get your wish. R-CALF rolls over like NCBA and lets our own government give us the big dry one. The relationship of the US and Canadian cattle/beef industries goes back to like it was pre-2003. Once again you will be dependent on one customer for your survival. US packers will control your industry and continue to play you and us against each other. There will be no markets for "Canadian Beef", only Tyson and Cargill beef. Any start up that threatens Tyson and Cargill will get squashed like a bug. Tyson and Cargill will continue to call the shots to the CFIA. The precidence will be cemented that health is secondary corporate profits. You will once again be led by packer-lackeys in the CCA who do nothing but kiss the arse of those that screw you every chance they get.

Is that what you really want?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Both you guys cant see past teh protectionist attitude. Dont you guys ever get out?

If we were protectionists, we would be calling to shut the border to Mexico and Australia, too. We're not because we're not protectionists. All we want is for the USDA to do the damn job they are assigned to - protect food safety and the health of the herd. Is that so much to ask? Knowingly importing disease like the USDA admits they will do is against their mandate and is beyond stupid. It's unacceptable.

If "Trade" is all that matters, why do we even need a USDA? All we need is a the Trade Commission. Heck, we can even get rid of the FDA while we're at it, we'll save millions of dollars and eliminate duplication of duties.

Dang it, Chris, the USDA says they will be importing disease from your country. The OIE says our feed ban is not good enough to stop the spread of the disease - and somebody is a protectionist for not agreeing to that deal? There's only two dots to connect here; Disease will come in and it will spread. How can anybody be for a deal like that? How can you say anybody is out of line for standing up against that?

Sandhusker said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Sandhusker and OT,

OK, MR, let's say you get your wish. R-CALF rolls over like NCBA and lets our own government give us the big dry one. The relationship of the US and Canadian cattle/beef industries goes back to like it was pre-2003. Once again you will be dependent on one customer for your survival. US packers will control your industry and continue to play you and us against each other. There will be no markets for "Canadian Beef", only Tyson and Cargill beef. Any start up that threatens Tyson and Cargill will get squashed like a bug. Tyson and Cargill will continue to call the shots to the CFIA. The precidence will be cemented that health is secondary corporate profits. You will once again be led by packer-lackeys in the CCA who do nothing but kiss the arse of those that screw you every chance they get.

Is that what you really want?

If we did go back before 2003 do you think R-calf could have gotten the border closed without a disease outbreak and at what expence? How much money would it have taken to close the border?

Just curious

have a cold one

lazy ace

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Who says you ll be importing disease from Canada? Whoever wrote that artcile has to be an r-laugher.

You're half right, the outfit that said that is usually so full of crap you have to laugh so you don't cry - but it was the USDA.

No the receiver has not sold the plant, sunterra has bought the balance of the inventory. SH continue on your tangent :roll:

Confirmation from Alger and associates of Calgary - Sunterra farms and partners has bought the former ranchers beef plant. The offer from december was accepted and the sale was finalized this week the plant will now be run as Sunterra beef. Financial details of the sale will not be disclosed. But in an interview Dave Price principal owner of Sunterra farms stated Sunterra farms will be the majority share holder.

Good news Question.

The second offer was from Lillydale Chickens and the third was a destruction offer from a competitor.

Competition built this friggin continent and competition will bring it back to life.

Damm Straight RK, and next we need to get NVF killing cattle full time. We need to get BSE testing avalible to who ever wants to do it so more of these type of operations can prosper. The lucrative offshore exports markets gates will fly open.

Latest posts