• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranchers' Word Power

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking of having a running thread where we all can add a new word for each of us to learn. It is essential to keep our brains active and learning a new word a day could be a fun way of doing it. One of this year's resolution was to learn as many words as I can before the end of the year.
I would like to invite you to join me if you can. I will be posting a word every day with a definition, part of speech, and a sentence to help us remember it.

You are welcome to add a word to the list. :lol:

Word: ABASH(ah BASH)
Verb
Defintion: to make ashamed or uneasy

"Tony was ABASHED when he discovered he had no CASH"

or

Caught listening to her sister's conversation, Lucy was ABASHED and quickly put down the receiver.

gcreekrch said:
You haven't started into the word game in Everything Else yet.
It is fun to come up with words that stump others as well, making them look it up. Some throw in the odd word in other languages as well including the odd Latin and Greek root word.

There was another guy here that drank too much happy juice and became abashed idiot that wanted to fight everyone else. :lol:

Todays word is:

ABLUTION
(ah BLOO shun)
Part of speech: noun
Definition: a cleansing with water or other liquid, especially as a religious ritual; the liquid used in such an act.

Ex. "The priest performed his ABLUTIONS in private"
or

"The witch doctor used ABLUTIONS of clear water to cleanse the stricken man of his illness"

Use this word in a sentence and post it for us to read!

P.S. I am enjoying reading your setences; some are funny! :lol:

the crack head hippies caught their demon by chasing it around and sprinkleing it with ABLUTIONS of blessed water and a paint brush.
after they captured the demon/ghost,they put it in a orange crate and set it a fire,the crack heads said it was the most unusual smoke they ever saw.the smoke and fire had many different colors.

a true story i heard several years ago.

Word: Bovine
(BOH vyne)
Adjective

Defintion: of, relating to, or resembling an animal such as an ox, cow or buffalo; solid; dull

"The BOVINE features of the man scared the children"

or

"Sue came to the party and sat in the corner reading a book as she BOVINELY ignored all the guests."

ablution "əˈbloō sh ən"
noun (usu. ablutions)

the act of washing oneself (often used for humorously formal effect) : the women performed their ablutions.

• a ceremonial act of washing parts of the body or sacred containers.

DERIVATIVES
ablutionary adjective
ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin ablutio(n-), from abluere, from ab- 'away' + luere 'wash.' The original use was as a term in chemistry and alchemy meaning [purification by using liquids,] hence [purification of the body by washing] (mid 16th cent.).

OldDog/NewTricks said:
ablution "əˈbloō sh ən"
noun (usu. ablutions)

the act of washing oneself (often used for humorously formal effect) : the women performed their ablutions.

• a ceremonial act of washing parts of the body or sacred containers.

DERIVATIVES
ablutionary adjective
ORIGIN late Middle English : from Latin ablutio(n-), from abluere, from ab- 'away' + luere 'wash.' The original use was as a term in chemistry and alchemy meaning [purification by using liquids,] hence [purification of the body by washing] (mid 16th cent.).

Thank you for contributing these important pieces of information to our vocabulary words!!! Have a wonderful weekend!
:D

Word: KISMET

(KIS met)

Noun

Definition: fate, destiny

" The happy couple attributed the success of their relationship to KISMET"

or

"It was KISMET that they both returned to their old high school on the same day twenty years after graduation"

Thundering along at top speed, the cowboy threw his loop on the calf's neck. Out of the corner of his eye, the fast moving cowboy saw a large light pole in close proximity. He however failed to see the cable stretching from the top of the pole to the ground. The calf went on one side of the cable, and the horse went on the other. As the rope came tight, the man's head and the calf's head came together and it was KISMET. :wink: :roll: Having had this happen to me at a branding many years ago, I know of what I speak. :)

I was wondering though soapweed who head hurt the worst yours or the calfs :D

Word: BEGNIGHTED
(be NI tid)
Adjective
Definition: being in a state of intellectual darkness; ignorant; unenlightened.

"Many BENIGHTED people became enlightened during teh Renaisssance"

or

"He BENIGHTEDLY asked the professor how much money she would take to give him an A in her class"

Latest posts