• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranching and cell phones

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I love the ending of Longmire. Has your cell phone become more than a useful ranch tool? Has it become a pastime?
upload_2022-8-21_21-22-55.png

Texas A&M has developed an APP that allows a person to take a picture of cow manure and it calculates the amount of protein that cow is receiving. That's kinda cool. Also have seen several APP's that indentify noxious wends and poisonous plants. I think the possibilities are endless. Depending on how tech savvy you are or want to become.

we have a booster in the house, and you have to sit next to it. There is a spot at the coral and a little circle by the shop if you don't move. Way back on top where you can see Keyhole reservoir you might get service. So, on the ranch we use 2-way radios, and they almost have to be line of sight. So only time we carry a cell phone is when we go to town.

Texas A&M has developed an APP that allows a person to take a picture of cow manure and it calculates the amount of protein that cow is receiving. That's kinda cool. Also have seen several APP's that indentify noxious wends and poisonous plants. I think the possibilities are endless. Depending on how tech savvy you are or want to become.
like people that have their Bible, and other Scriptures on their phone?

Flip phone here........hopefully keep it......I know that I would be like everybody else if I got a smart phone, checking the weather and markets and fb all the time.......I don't want to be that person......
Mr. FH only wants a phone when HE needs to make a call on it. He doesn't have it with him half (well, most) of the time.

We have a flip phone for when we are traveling. I use the stupid thing 3 or 4 times a year. No service at the house. I tell people my phone is smart because it doesn't bother me. I tell folks who come here to go stand on the north end of the stock trailer to maybe get poor service.

We have gone from driving 40 miles to make a phone call to being able to sit on a hill just about anywhere on the ranch and make a call anywhere in the world.
I've reconnected with friends from 50 years ago
I get the temp and humidity when I'm baling. Have a calculator, compass dictionary, encyclopedia.
I can find out where to get parts right from the field, call for help.
I heard a story about a trail ride on the Chisum Trail. This fellow rode up on a hill trying to get cell service. The rest got to teasing him about how John Chisum wouldn't have used a cell phone.
Want to bet? If he had the technology he would have had the cattle sold to the highest bidder before he ever got to the end of the trail and had the rail cars ordered. He was a innovator just by trailing cattle north.
I spend to much time on mine but I also don't go to the coffee shop like some do.
Heck it's just a computer in your pocket. We wouldn't know each other if it wasn't for computers

Latest posts