• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranching "Rule of Thumb"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

When you find yourself in a hole stop digging.
If you think you're in charge try bossing someone else's dog around.
If you have a bull run at you and you thing he's bluffing make sure he knows he's bluffing.
Make sure your kids understand they can't drive a car or go swimming UNTIL THEY LEARN HOW.

lavacarancher said:
If you have a bull run at you and you thing he's bluffing make sure he knows he's bluffing.
Make sure your kids understand they can't drive a car or go swimming UNTIL THEY LEARN HOW.

Good ones, lavacarancher. By the way, there is a Lavaca Bridge across the Niobrara River not too far from here. It was probably named after one of the early settlers in this area.

Another good rule of thumb is "All things in moderation."

Soapweed said:
lavacarancher said:

Good ones, lavacarancher. By the way, there is a Lavaca Bridge across the Niobrara River not too far from here. It was probably named after one of the early settlers in this area.

Another good rule of thumb is "All things in moderation."
This part of Texas is influenced heavily by the Hispanic population and once was part of Mexico. Lavaca (I think) is a contraction for La Vaca which is Hispanic for "the cow". Lavaca County used to grow a lot of cotton, corn, tomatoes, watermelon and cantaloupe but most of the growing has been replaced with cattle. Hallettsville, the county seat of Lavaca County, was named after the original settlers to this part of Texas and they were named Hallett. They received a land grant of several thousand acres from the Mexican government in exchange for helping settle and populate "Northern Mexico". Santa Anna decided that all "gifts" to the Texacans were null and void which started the Texas/Mexican revolution. Have you ever read an original land grant deed? Pretty interesting how they described the boundaries and corners.

Shortgrass said:
I like most of them real well, and they articulate some valuable lessons. I would change the take care of the cattle to take care of the land, and it will take care of you, meaning always do what is best for the land, and cash flow will be there, but if you put cash flow ahead of the land, you will likely go broke, and end up teaching is some university!

This reminds me of another one not necessarily related to the original post. "Those that can - do. Those that can't - teach".

This is probably one of the most important ranching rules of thumb, and it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Pay bills and financial obligations as promptly as possible. Merchants and ranch service providers also have bills to pay, and they are not in business to carry credit for others.

George said:
Denny said:
Sign the backs of checks not the front.

Never heard that but I love it!

This is a good one at first glance, and I am sure Denny means it along the lines of "You can't spend yourself rich." I know Denny, and he is industrious, hard-working, and he gets the most bang for the buck when he spends money. However, one of the problems with America today is there are too many people "signing the backs of checks," in the form of welfare, government subsidies, and so-called "entitlements." No one is "entitled" to anything. We should all work or produce something of value to get a check so that we can "sign the back of it" to receive the payment.

End of rant. I may very well be wrong, but you are all "entitled" to my opinion. :cboy:

"A $15.00/Hour employee to move wheel lines and hot wire is cheaper than a divorce".... Ok, I made that one on the fly about 5 years ago??? I had a friend that wanted his wife to work more on marketing. She was resisting. I asked why he couldn't and he told me, "I have to move hot wire and wheel lines." My response was, "Hiring someone at $15.00 and hour is cheaper than a divorce. Unfortunately, he found out I was right.

Denny said:
Sign the backs of checks not the front.

Good 'rule', Denny. But, we do prefer those running for political office to have had at least some experience signing checks on the front!!!!! At least the elder rancher here often makes the comment that some of them have never done that and it hurts those they plan to 'serve'.

mrj

Mike said:
Farming/Ranching are the only business entities that buy "Retail" and sell "Wholesale".

I've seen the addition of the phrase "and pay the freight both ways!" to what you wrote, Mike, and believe it is way too close to the truth, all too often.

Most of us need to do better at first improving as much as we can (or can afford to) the quality of our product, documenting it, whether cattle or other crops, and then MARKET it instead of ask what someone will 'give' us for it.

mrj

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

gcreekrch said:
If we all managed our own operation like we can the neighbors, there would be no want or need for subsidization.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Latest posts