• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rats

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
well H is a desert rat, here my son in law running a trap line, first thing he caught then used for bait this year was a bushy tailed wood rat. Was the first and only one I ever seen. Basically a pack rat with a hairy tail.

Our pack rats all have bushy tails and they stink. When I first moved into the mountains and started building my cabin, I decided to add a cushioned fiberglass handled 16 oz hammer to my collection that was all wood handled at that time.

I was so pleased that my visit to the local hardware store was fruitful and that they had the perfect hammer for my needs. I had heavier framing hammers and such, but that neoprene cushion sounded perfect for all-day nailing and putting up board and bat for my shop.

After a sweaty hot day of use, I laid it on a temporary workbench I had set up in a floored, framed wall and roof shop that I covered with some heavily treated canvas tarp that included flaps for entry. I had it tight with nails to hook the eyelets in the tarp for a tightly closed door.

The next morning as I entered my makeshift shop, I smelled something so rank it made a buck goat in rut smell like Chanel #5. As I gagged, I noticed a dead pack rat, the first I had seen, lying with a few chucks of neoprene on the floor around it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my new, used one-day cushion grip hammer. I still have it and use it to this very day. The rat was after the salt that had soaked in the grip but his system got clogged or poisoned by the neoprene. In any event, he was deader than a doornail.

The photo was taken this morning.

IMG_1312.JPG

We deal with 20 to 30 pack rats every fall, awful things….
That is just :poop: ugly right there gcreek! That would require a tight tack shop and feed shed for sure. No wonder the pup wears sunglasses! :LOL: Better get some bobcat bred into your barn cats. ;)

Latest posts