• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rattlesnake!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grizzly and cougers dont bother me but a snake,that's a whole other deal!
We don't have grizzly but I worked in big bear country in Alaska. I have a healthy respect for them. We do have bears. I just saw a cinnamon colored sow with two black cubs about 10 days ago. We have lots of lions. I have found deer they killed within a 100 yards of the house. Seen their tracks in a fresh snow that close too. I lump lions, bears, and rattlesnakes together. Nothing to be afraid of. Just respect them and be aware of their presence.
The good thing is we don't have any tigers. Because if we had lions, tigers, and bears I would be worried.

We don't have grizzly but I worked in big bear country in Alaska. I have a healthy respect for them. We do have bears. I just saw a cinnamon colored sow with two black cubs about 10 days ago. We have lots of lions. I have found deer they killed within a 100 yards of the house. Seen their tracks in a fresh snow that close too. I lump lions, bears, and rattlesnakes together. Nothing to be afraid of. Just respect them and be aware of their presence.
The good thing is we don't have any tigers. Because if we had lions, tigers, and bears I would be worried.
We have wolves. I'm thinking tigers can't be as bad as wolves?
If we did have tigers the government would be protecting them and everybody around here would be saying that we better not bother the tigers because they have more right to be here than we do.😀

In an attempt to get better photos of a smaller hayfield and its new stack, I encountered another rattlesnake on the hayfield road. I tried to take a photo but construction workers were coming down the road so I had to step aside and I tried to signal to them to run over it. They didn't see it and as their tire came close, it made a quick semi coil and shot off back toward the rocks. It was at least 5 feet. I think I am done walking hayfield road. That is 3 in a couple of months. To think minutes before I had braved out in the field to get a better alfalfa photo.

I ran across this on Facebook. Good information to know.

RATTLESNAKE BITE INFO:
From an EMT training...
We had Jim B from Rapid City come and visit with the EMTs and others about rattlesnake bites. He has extensive training and was so informative trying to squelch many of the myths about snake bites and what to do.
1. Many have believed the smaller rattlers are more dangerous, BUT the bigger the snake, the worse and more potent the bite.
2. The best defense if bitten by a snake is a set of car keys and a driver. Never dither or waste time. Call 911 and request an ambulance or Life Flight. Then drive the victim to meet them. Keep calm and keep the patient calm!!!! Stress, anxiety and the toxin in their system can lead to breathing problems. Be aware of their breathing or swelling of the face.
3. The antivenom, CROFAB is available at Bowman, Hettinger, Baker, Spearfish, Sturgis, Lead/Deadwood and Rapid City. Bowman has 6 vials on hand at all times and this is enough to stabilize a victim to get them on if needed.
It has a shelf life of 1 year and if not used, the company exchanges it out. CRO-FAB does take about 30 minutes to mix so call the hospital you are headed to and they can be ready with it when you arrive.
4. The protein in the venom works within minutes or hours depending on size and location of the target tissue they bite, the time they were bound to the tissue and the route of injection whether subcutaneous, intramuscular or intravenous.
5. If a bite victim has minimal pain, they are in trouble. Snake bites are painful because of all the damage the venom is doing throughout the body.
6. Do not cut and suck and do not put on a tourniquet.
7. Remove any constricting clothing and jewelry and immobilize/splint the extremity in the position of function (knee slightly bent if it is their leg and arm slightly bent at elbow if an arm)but not tight as you must leave room for swelling.
8. Mark the area that is affected around the bite site with a sharpie marker and write the time as it is important to know how much it is swelling.
9. Do not give Benadryl. It does no good.
10. We only have one venomous snake, the prairie rattler in South Dakota so no need to bring the snake along to the hospital.
11. They are noticing more rattlers in our region with an atrophy tail segment that are not able to rattle. Scientists are unsure why this is happening but these tend to be more aggressive since they do not have the rattle defense.
12. Learning how antivenom is made was mind boggling. No wonder it is so expensive. Venom is extracted from lab snakes in Salt Lake City and sent to Great Britain to extract the protein which is then sent to Australia to sheep that are injected to produce the antibodies which are then removed and sent to Baltimore, Maryland which then processes it.
Stay safe out there. Be aware of your surroundings at all times.

In an attempt to get better photos of a smaller hayfield and its new stack, I encountered another rattlesnake on the hayfield road. I tried to take a photo but construction workers were coming down the road so I had to step aside and I tried to signal to them to run over it. They didn't see it and as their tire came close, it made a quick semi coil and shot off back toward the rocks. It was at least 5 feet. I think I am done walking hayfield road. That is 3 in a couple of months. To think minutes before I had braved out in the field to get a better alfalfa photo.
You need to carry a pistol with you girl

While the Western Rattler is the most common and only native in Eastern Oregon, it is interesting that along the Snake River and in Nicky and Websfoots area, that some interesting subspecies have developed. Back in the 80s, I did see a Timber Rattler below Mason Dam along the Powder River. I also saw a Diamondback that a camper killed by the Snake River just past the Bayhorse Mine. The ones I have seen near the Columbia have all been the common Western.

@DosArroyos I would but that road is near a new housing development and shooting is frowned on. I should make myself a walking stick with a retractable blade.

While the Western Rattler is the most common and only native in Eastern Oregon, it is interesting that along the Snake River and in Nicky and Websfoots area, that some interesting subspecies have developed. Back in the 80s, I did see a Timber Rattler below Mason Dam along the Powder River. I also saw a Diamondback that a camper killed by the Snake River just past the Bayhorse Mine. The ones I have seen near the Columbia have all been the common Western.

@DosArroyos I would but that road is near a new housing development and shooting is frowned on. I should make myself a walking stick with a retractable blade.

I'm sure it is frowned upon. Around here so many greenies have moved in the prairie dogs have taken over
in many areas. It's disgusting.

So this morning I was changing tarps on the flood irrigation. I was on a ditch that I had been late spraying it. There was a bunch of dying weeds and grass blocking things up. I chopped away with my shovel so I could get the tarp to set. I swing the tarp out and climb into the ditch on the up stream end of the tarp. I step on the edge of the tarp to hold it down until I can shovel some rocks or mud on to hold it down. The ditch begins to fill while I am standing in 2 feet of water. I turn to face up stream to dig out some mud. I see the weeds moving. Something is swimming in the ditch about 3 feet from me. OH!!!! it is a rattler. It goes up on the bank. It is in heavy grass about 2 feet tall. I can see the grass moving so I start hacking in there with the shovel. I felt it hit him a couple times but I couldn't see him. His head came out in an open spot where I had a clear shot. Off with his head. It had 10 rattles and a button. One less snake on my place.

Latest posts