• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Raw 'ol Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

We are into our second day of wind here today, up to 50 mph. We were supposed to get 4-7 inches of snow, but just have a dusting. Thank goodness we didn't get that much snow with this wind. I heard Pierre SD has up to a foot of snow with 50 mph or stronger winds.

Sometimes it is a blessing to live where there isn't usually as much snow or moisture. Not that we can't get a lot of snow here though, just usually not as much as a lot of areas east of here.

How about my neighbors to the NW? What did you get. How about you LB?

Not much snow, but that dang wind is howling around the corners and rattlin' the rafters. Number one son and the rodeo bunch made it home from the NRCA Finals last night. Said there was a couple inches of snow in Gillette and some places the roads were icy. Weatherman on the national news this morning says that the whole country will have winter by tomorrow. Wonder what winter feels like in Miami?

We jinxed everyone weatherwise by signing up for our first trip to the NFR.

Plus, I doubt if WE even get to go now. We have 5" of a pretty wet snow and we have some wind. The wind hasn't been terrible, but I see on ranchers weather that we have a 1 degree chill factor. Quite a change from the 60 degrees we did have.

The roads are slick here. I talked to a guy in Dickinson and he said they didn't have much and the roads were good. Our Vigortone Sales Manager came back from Wyoming yesterday evening and he said it was tough going. 80mph winds and icy roads had a lot of cars off the highway.

It looks like winter.

We are supposed to get a couple of inches here in Omaha. Not too serious, but I'm sure there will be a lot of wrecks!
Hey Jake, did you post a picture in contest deal this weak? One of them looks very familiar.
Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and a better Christmas. Jake, if you drag your butt into church on Christmas Eve I'll probably get to see you. Usually it's your wife and kids I see, you're suspiciously absent :) .

Probably 1 to 2 inches of snow here and Jake, you can shut off the wind factory any time now! :lol: Tho' my windmills sure are workin' good this morning! If it don't quiot blowin' pretty soon, I'm afraid that it going to pump all of the water out of the ground!

Hard to tell how much snow you got when it's going by horizontily! :lol:

I'm pretty sure I seen one of Faster Horses petticoats go sailing by this morning! :lol:

Thats the great thing about this country. When we get snow it mostly blows into the creeks and draws, so it's real handy to run into the water holes and dams, in the spring when it usually melts. And we sure need some water in the dams and holes! :cry:

In NWIowa weather turned fast. Rain all day, froze around 3 pm and now it is blowing snow. Not a lot of snow yet but visibilty is bad. Glad I'm in the warm house. Good luck to all.

One of those days you had to take into account windage when feeding. Depending on what direction the bunks were in you had to move one to two feet away.And they wonder why I come into the house a little cranky on days like today. :mad:

Here in western mn we had 1'' of rain everything covered with ice then about noon turned to snow, still snowing and blowing hard

the real jake said:
I heard Pierre SD has up to a foot of snow with 50 mph or stronger winds.

Heard from my family north-west of Pierre, SD and yes they said about a foot of fresh snow and 30 mph or so winds gusting in the 50's!! A regular whiteout...not a very nice day at all they said. Suppose to get more snow all day today and tonight. Old man winter found North Central South Dakota again!

Mother Nature sseems confused. We'll be getting some of your cold and windy weather this week but today I saw a Morning Cloak butterfly and a bee despite that we've had some freezes.

Hey Tibbs, are you glad to be in Texas at the moment, or even with the snow do you wish you were back? I went to Belle Fourche today, and it was clear sailing all the way there and back except for the snow in the air. There were places that were almost still brown.

Maybe there are benefits to drought. This is way to early to have a foot of snow. All snow does in this county is blow around till it wears out in the wintertime.

koj, I was just thinking about you in the last day or so. I wondered if you were still with us. I didn't post a picture, but I think someone close to here did. :wink:

You never know, I might make it in to see you on Christmas someday. Come back closer to home someday, and that would work too.

We had 3/4 inch on rain on Saturday, wind, turned to snow that night, snowed all day Sunday, has been getting colder every hour, now it is from 4 to -5 depending on where you are and the snow is from 6" to to a foot. The cows are not sure what the heck is going on, went from grazing green grass to snowballs. and we are in the middle of AIing, of well heat detection is easy, the ones with no hoar frost on them get bred :!:

At least you are done calving, aren't you sw?

This thing turned nasty so fast I think it caught us all off guard.
For one thing, when they predict something like this it seldom
happens.

I don't think we are going to go to the NFR. The neighbor that was going to feed for us had an accident with his 4 wheeler yesterday. Got a bad concussion and broke a rib or two. We're really glad he wasn't hurt worse. But that, along with the weather, will probably keep us at home.

Anybody want to buy 2 Discounted tickets to the NFR?
It's a great deal if you can make it. :???: :roll:

Latest posts