• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ray Sutton

Help Support Ranchers.net:

here is all I know....just read it online in my hometown paper in South Dakota. They had lots of fires up there...my folks were fighting them all weekend!! Burnt a lot of country....anyway...here is the info:

Raymond Sutton Jr., 61, was killed in a freak accident trying to help fight a fire on his land. He was in a water truck borrowed from a neighbor that he parked near the top of a ravine.

The truck rolled down the ravine, rolling over Sutton and injuring two firefighters. The firefighters were not seriously injured.

Thanks Tibbs. If you hear anything else let me know..
We went to the cherry co fair rodeo and saw Rocky Tibbs in the barebacks for sure and maybe the steerdoggin??? Anyway couple of events. He had a crappy bareback horse I thought.... He rode him, but couldn't get a good score on him.

haha....I'd bet you nearly my life that you did not see Rocky Tibbs in the bareback event!!! HAHA. There are two of them, and Old Rocky is about 53 or 54 and he only competes in the Old Man's Breakaway or the Team Roping. Little Rocky Lane usually only competes in the Team Roping, but maybe the bull dogging??? but doubt it. You prolly saw Shaun Tibbs in the bare back......he does that some but usually the saddle bronc more.

To bad about Ray Sutton.....is he the Ray Sutton of Sutton Ranches near Gettysburg??? http://raymondsutton.com/ Dang, what a loss. They raise some darn good Quarter Horses.

I can see how something like that could happen tho up in that rough river break country.....fighting fire in there during the day is bad enough, but at night is near dangerous if you don't know the country. You would of thought he would of known his own country tho and knew that ravine was there, but I am unsure of the circumstances, who knows. Just one of them things that happens and we all wonder why. My folks said fighting the fires in their county were bad....high winds and dry sweet clover stalks kept it near imposible to get out. I think they said someone flipped a spray rig on a sidehill, but haven't heard any more on it.

Anyway let me know if you hear anything else...

What!!! I have the program to prove it!!!! You better ask cuz it's got to be a typo . Soooo my little buddy do you know Genna Buettner? She's down your way and I would be happy to get her number for you.....

I guarantee its a typo, and I'd like to see that program just for the hell of it.....haha. I bet Rocky will frame that and be like look here what i did..haha. It is most definantly a typo tho........The two Rocky's arn't bronc riders....any broncs they ride arn't on purpose!

I never heard of Genna Buettner? Whos is she? Friend of yours? Lives in Midland?

I think she is at Hugo or around there. She rodeoed and was 4h queen for south dakota. She is very sweet and pretty hope you're tall cause I think she is every bit 6 foot.And I think 21years old....She is going to college to be a physical therapist. She wants to get on the rodeo tour... And if you are not nice, and I mean really nice to her I would have to kill you.....(you know I'm teasing you) :p Anyway, I'll bet she would like to know someone from home down there. She lives with a bunch of other gals down there.(see ya can't go wrong)

Hey Tibbs, it's true. There are three Rocky Tibbs in this world I guess. This guy from NE is a fairly good BB rider. Whoda thunk it. I about fell over when I heard of the NE bull fighter with the same first name as me, here I thought I was special! :wink:

TX, that would be a shocker, wouldn't it? Both the SD Tibbs, Rocky and Rocky Lane have roped in our arena......and it's been too long since we had one of our fun day ropings.....may have to try it again sometime. Shouldn't allow ourselves to be too busy to do things like that!

Re. Ray Sutton, I believe, but not totally certain he was a son o the Raymond Sutton. There are a LOT of Suttons in the phone book! We were on part of the original ranch recently. It was divided among the brothers families, I think in the third generation. Matt wrote a book for a family reunion which we bought when we were at "his" Suttons' Bay Golf Resort for a SDSU event recently and he mentid the division of the ranch in the book. The older generation (Matts and Rays' parents were friends of my in-laws, and while we don't see Matt often and didn't really know Ray, we admire the family and consider them friends we don't see often. It seems there is a tragic accident about every year during fire season. The account here is just as we heard on radio yesterdy. Sad for the family and community.

MRJ

More info from the Rapid City Journal:

Prairies scorched; one firefighter dies
By Andrea J. Cook, Journal Staff Writer

Hundreds of volunteer firefighters spent the Labor Day weekend battling rampaging prairie fires that burned thousands of acres of grass and farmland in eastern and western South Dakota.

Firefighters believed that all the fires had been extinguished by Tuesday.

Aiding the organized volunteers were landowners with spraying equipment and farm implements.

One rural Gettysburg man died from injuries received while fighting a weekend fire at his farm.

Raymond Sutton, 61, died Monday morning at Gettysburg Memorial Hospital.

Sutton was injured Sunday when his truck carrying a water tank backed down a hill and ran over him.

The Little Bend Fire in Sully County burned about 5,000 acres, according to Russ Hendrix, Pierre's rural fire chief. The fire was lightning caused.

Hendrix estimated that at least 15,000 acres of grass and farmland were burned in several fires that kept volunteer firefighters from Philip to Highmore busy over the weekend.

Hendrix' estimate did not include a 1,500- to 1,700-acre lightning-caused fire that burned along S.D. Highway 34 early Tuesday morning.

The long weekend of fighting fires took a toll on men and equipment, Hendrix said.

"We're just all tired," he said. "None of us is real perky."

Temperatures near 100, and high winds didn't make the job any easier, Hendrix said.

"We were fighting heat and wind every bit as much as fire," he said.

Volunteer fire departments from as far west as Philip were called to help volunteer fire departments from Hughes and Stanley counties battle a lightning-caused fire on the Triple U Buffalo Ranch northwest of Fort Pierre on Saturday and Sunday. The fire burned between 5,000 and 6,000 acres before it was stopped at 5:30 a.m. Sunday. The fire flared again Sunday afternoon, burning another 1,500 to 2,000 acres.

Hendrix estimated that 2,000 bales of hay were lost on the Triple U Ranch.

Another fire, north of Hayes on the Norman Ranch, burned another 400 to 500 acres Sunday, he said.

Volunteer firefighters from Milesville, Philip, Deep Creek, Four Corners and Midland were joined by local landowners early Tuesday morning to fight a lightning-caused fire along Highway 34 about 8 miles east of Billsburg.

Burning in dried grass and once lush sweet clover, the fire was spurred by winds from a passing thunderstorm.

"It was the worst fire I've seen," Philip Fire Chief Marty Hansen said Tuesday. Hansen has almost 30 years of experience as a volunteer firefighter.

"The sweet clover is as tall as the mirror on a pickup," Hansen said.

"The fire jumped Highway 34 wherever it wanted to jump it," he said.

Milesville Volunteer Fire Chief Curt Arthur said the fire burned an area 3 miles long and one-half to three-quarters of a mile wide before jumping Highway 34.

Arthur said the fire moved so fast that trucks couldn't get in front of the fire to stop it. "Behind the front wall, it was still throwing flames four feet in the air," he said. "The good Lord blessed us to stop it when we did."

Several local farmers brought tractors and disks to plow a line ahead of the fire which helped stop the fire, Arthur said. Haakon County also supplied a motor grader and a water truck.

Arthur said his volunteers responded to six fires in the last six days.

On Sunday, the Wall Volunteer Fire Department managed to contain a small grass fire burning near buildings on the Danny O'Connell ranch north of Wall.

At least 60 acres of grassland were burned in two separate fires north of Rapid City on Monday, according to Denny Gorton of Pennington County Emergency Management.

A home was threatened by a fire on Elk Creek Road near 143rd Street. The fire burned about 40 acres and burned to within 70 feet of the house and outbuildings.

The second fire consumed about 20 acres along Elk Vale Road about 18 miles north of Interstate 90 on the Cleve Woods Ranch.

Not that i know of...he was prolly fighting fire somewhere......there was a fire on his son's ranch...he could of been there....but I thought it was out by monday, but not sure.......but seriously i don't know i haven't heard anything.......

The Rocky Tibbs in Nebraska is a good saddle bronc rider..I see he is ranked 9th in saddle bronc riding in the last Nebraska State Rodeo Assoc. standings. He will probably be in North Platte this weekend at their State Finals rodeo.

Ray Suttton Jr is son of Ray Sutton Sr. lived 40 mles sw of me. Had some darn wicked lightning strikes lately and started numerous fires. New Ray for a long time, sure was a decent guy.

Rocky Tibbs a bareback rider?? I`d like to see that. Saw Rocky and Clifford Sunday night at the Campbell Co rodeo. Never could figure out how Rocky swings his rope in the box before calling for cattle. He usually makes them fit too.

Sagebrush, sorry I posted too didn`t look on page 2 before I posted.

Katrina, who is Genna Buettner and what family is she from. I used to know Loren Buettner. Keep trakc of him a little when I see a certain PRCA judge.

Latest posts