• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

recap of my day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw

Reaction score
ok, for all you you non ranchers, here is a recap of my great day. Went out and loaded up a steer for Hanta this morning to take to the processor. Sent her on her way and went out to check on the heifers that are calving, this is about 8:30 when she left. Heifer calving, looked like trouble from the beginning. This is Mandy's show heifer bred to a low birth weight Angus bull that has never ever had big calves. We have never pulled a calf from this sire. Got pulling straps and handles, moved the calf about an inch, nose out, both feet coming, no problem. Went back and got the calf puller that we have not used for a number of years, calf is wedged tighter than a, well youknow what. Came back and got some more lube. Felt like lots of room for this calf to come out but I cannot get it past the hips. HIP LOCK. Luckily or not so lucky, this a show cow who expects me to help her and does not even try to get up. Good thing.. Gave up trying after three hours and came back to the house and called every neighbor we have, the vet, God twice, the other neighbors, God again, the neighbors again, and God for a third time. Nobody home. All I needed was a little more muscle than I had at the time. I went back over to her and told her that this was the last time That I was going to try again.
I did not mention that she was against some trees so I could not use the calf puller the way it should be used and pull down to get the hip locked calf out. The calf was dead so I am trying to save the cow. She moved and I helped her get away from the trees and I got the calf out. Cow would not move and she kept pushing, I new she was going to prolapse. Did not get done picking up all of my stuff and here I had a 25 pound piece of jello to stuff back into a 4 inch hole..
Went and got the stuff to deal with the prolapse which took a long time as we have not had one since 1996, Went back up to this heifer to see what I could do. Cleaned it all off and started pushing the outwards back to the innards and got nowhere, after using all of my lidocaine up she was still pushing hard. I went and got the tractor so I could lift her back end up off the ground and use gravity to help put the inners back instead of being outers. Got it all cleaned up and started putting things back in place and the rope was giving so I gave up, did not want to get killed by a falling cow with her guts hanging out.
Came back down to the house, called a couple more of the neighbors again, called God three more times, left a message.
Came to the realization that this show heifer had to take the trip to the dump and I had to put her there, this was about 1:30. Not long after that the wifey came pulling in, I am spent, I tell her what has gone on and I am not in the mood for more. Her cool thinking talked me into going back out there with some Ace so she goes to sleep, and the two of us can put her innards where they belong and things will be OK. WE did that, got four hands putting the jello back throught the hole and sewn up before she blew it out again. She will not quit pushing so I hope my stiches hold.....
Also, you need to remember the when you give a cow Ace they will bloat as it shuts down the refractoryy, IE the reason to regurgitate and burp
What a wonderful day I have had.

Sorry for your tough day! This is too late for this cow, but I've put a plastic pop bottle in cows and then sown them up. It gives something to push against till I can get them to the vet. Hope she does good and tomorrow is way better! :wink:

There's just something about show cattle.... :? Hope she lives to see the sale barn. Good luck!

Yup, that's not a fun day. When ever I find myself in a mess like that I always tell myself "Well, you wanted to be a rancher, so here you are..."
If she survives this ordeal I certainly wouldn't can her. I have yet to see one duplicate the feat, although I suppose anything is possible. I bought a young purebred cow from a neighbour once that he was selling because of a uterine prolapse and I have now had 5 calves without a hitch, and her progeny is fine as well.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Silver said:
Yup, that's not a fun day. When ever I find myself in a mess like that I always tell myself "Well, you wanted to be a rancher, so here you are..."
If she survives this ordeal I certainly wouldn't can her. I have yet to see one duplicate the feat, although I suppose anything is possible. I bought a young purebred cow from a neighbour once that he was selling because of a uterine prolapse and I have now had 5 calves without a hitch, and her progeny is fine as well.

Silver, I have to say that kind of thinking baffles me. A cow that causes an ordeal like this SHOULD go to the canner - or the coyotes - 100% of the time, without fail, no questions asked. Propogating these type of genetics just causes more problems for the whole industry. If every animal that did something like this was canned immediately, the beef business would be far better off.

SW - sorry to hear about your day. It's a damn shame when these things happen. Had a similar event at our place this spring, and the upside was that a pack of coyotes, a den of foxes and several magpies and crows had full bellies for a few days. Not to mention I didn't have the stress of dealing with it anymore.

sw and Hanta Yo...

Sorry to hear about Mandy's heifer. I think FH probably said it right, it seems this happens to those that are special to their owners for whatever reason.

Thank you for being such good stewards of your livestock. Posts like this so how much we care and how much it hurts us when our livestock are in potential peril. I think you deserve a huge pat on the back for doing your best. :clap:

Today is a new day, and surely a better day! It has to be, it's Hanta Yo's birthday.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

PureCountry said:
Silver said:

Silver, I have to say that kind of thinking baffles me. A cow that causes an ordeal like this SHOULD go to the canner - or the coyotes - 100% of the time, without fail, no questions asked. Propogating these type of genetics just causes more problems for the whole industry. If every animal that did something like this was canned immediately, the beef business would be far better off.

Nope. A Uterine prolapse is a fluke and in no way related to genetics. There's lots of good reasons to cull a cow, vaginal prolapses top the list, but not uterine prolapses.

Silver said:
PureCountry said:
Silver said:

Nope. A Uterine prolapse is a fluke and in no way related to genetics. There's lots of good reasons to cull a cow, vaginal prolapses top the list, but not uterine prolapses.
Tend to agree with Silver on this one - or should say that is the advice my vet gave me when we had a lot easier to deal with uterine prolapse this spring. Heifer got rolled onto her back when calving with head up the hill and out it plopped - small calf and an easy calving because I saw the calf pushed out just as I was crossing the field to get to her. Downside is that the vet reckons she has about a 50% chance of getting bred this year and she is the only animal left in a line I can't replace genetically.

I'm like Pure Country I might get rid of the odd salvageable cow but I have removed all the bad ones. We've only had three proplapses in several thousand calvings to begin with. When I was young and foolish I repaired the first two but the last one eliminated herself. I gave up making excuses for cows a long time ago-my vet feels like the MayTag repairman because of it. We had bad luck with our 4H heifers this year too-I might just turn them out on grass and let them roothog with the rest.

Well, you can cull or shoot for dystocia, footrot, short ears, colour, or your pick of any number of things. That's the joy of being and independant operator. We've never culled for uterine prolapse (if they survived and were bred back), and our incidence is no higher than anyone elses. One this spring (died) and one 4 years ago.... maybe one a few years before that. And thats on several thousand calvings.
Like NR, the vet only knows the way out here from preg checking and also tends to feel like the maytag repair man. However, there is a difference between making excuses and recognizing a problem that is just an occurance that can be dealt with and put behind you.

Guess a prolapse is one of my pet peeves-I've put a few back in for neighbors over the years. Had a quite a spirited debate with one in the middle of the night. A mature cow they'd done a C section on the year before spewed her calf bed out after I pulled the calf. First she cahased me all around the pen-climbed a twenty foot high snowpile and slid down it trapping herself just behind the heart girth. He got a brief and inspired diatribe on winter calving,keeping c section cows and then waking me up in the middle of the night to whine about it. They calve in late april now lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Guess a prolapse is one of my pet peeves-I've put a few back in for neighbors over the years. Had a quite a spirited debate with one in the middle of the night. A mature cow they'd done a C section on the year before spewed her calf bed out after I pulled the calf. First she cahased me all around the pen-climbed a twenty foot high snowpile and slid down it trapping herself just behind the heart girth. He got a brief and inspired diatribe on winter calving,keeping c section cows and then waking me up in the middle of the night to whine about it. They calve in late april now lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The only thing a prolapse (of any kind) is good for is a story...
For the record, the last and only one I remember at our place in the last 15 years lived just long enough to raise her calf (which did not enter the replacement pen). :shock:

RSL said:
The only thing a prolapse (of any kind) is good for is a story...
For the record, the last and only one I remember at our place in the last 15 years lived just long enough to raise her calf (which did not enter the replacement pen). :shock:

Do you ship all your cows that calve and the calf has a head or leg back too? :shock: :lol:

You betcha if i have to monkey with a cow during calving she's a gone goose-there's only been one in the last ten years or so that I can remember. I got dumb ids they never learned the fundamentals pulling calves,shoving prolapses in, milking out bad teats or trimming feet. I hope the next generation grows up just as dumb.

Latest posts