• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Received Soapweed's Book

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
I was amazed at how thick it is. It has a bit smaller print than I like, so I can't read too much at once. Very well put together and has lots of interesting reading. I will recommend it to anyone that enjoys ranch stories. A treasured book for my ranch book collection.

Mine came yesterday and I am on cloud 9!! Read slow and make the memories last.

It jogs the mind and brings back things that you thought were gone forever.(y)

Two words- reading glasses
I wear progressive lens glasses and have for years. Recently they had to add prisms to my lens to help my eyes track.

The book is easy enough to read and the print had to be smaller because it is a 390 page paperback 5 1/4" X 8 1/4" and 7/8 inches thick. That is a big paperback! One font size larger would have been nice for older folks, but would also have made the book more costly.

It is a total of 139 very interesting and entertaining stories. The stories were published just as he wrote them including the ones that had paragraphs so long they took up 3/4 page. As a writer myself, I know that when to divide up a long paragraph is sometimes difficult and while easier to read divided, may tend to break up a thought.

When I opened the book and saw his ranch doodles, I had to smile. I would buy a book with nothing but his doodles. That horse beating cheeks and that jackrabbit with his buck teeth and cocked ears brought back memories of some of my family's ranches in West Texas and Arizona.

Last edited:
Page 64 Soapweed Soliloquy

"Rattlesnakes and prairie dogs have a lot in common. They live in the same holes and the world would be a much better place if neither of them existed."

AMEN brother Soapweed, AMEN!

We got our book yesterday. Looking forward to reading it. I was surprised there weren't pictures as he took so many great photos.
It would have been double the price with photos. I was thinking of putting my stories in a book with photos and my drawings and 300 pages would make the book sell for $49.95 and I would get $5.95 of that. There are very small royalties paid on self-published books. Lots of work and a very small reward.

Last edited:

Latest posts