• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Recent photos, August 1, 2006

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Birdonawire.jpg

Bird on a wire
Depressinglydrydustyandwindy.jpg

Depressingly dry and dusty
Atenthofaninchofrainmakesalotofdiff.jpg

A day and a tenth of an inch of rain makes a lot of difference
Asoapuette.jpg

A soapweeduette
Apondandalake.jpg

A pond and a lake
Professionalfencebuilder.jpg

Professional fence builder
Leveledandhayedbeforethefencewassta.jpg

Leveled and hayed before the fence is put in
Fencingrig.jpg

Fencing rig
Hardatwork.jpg

Hard at work
Hetakesprideinhiswork.jpg

He takes pride in his work
Heckofagoodideathatdidntwork.jpg

Heck of a good idea that didn't work
Chocolatechips.jpg

Chocolate chips
Prettygoodsteerbuthesnothalter-brok.jpg

Pretty good steer, but he's not halter-broke
Wideopenunclutteredcountry.jpg

Wide open uncluttered country
Fatcattleonslimpasture.jpg

Fat cattle on slim pasture
ReserveGrandChampionSteerbeltbuckle.jpg

One of our steers won Reserve Grand Champion Steer at the recent Sandhills Cattle Association carcass contest. He was out of a Red Angus/Gelbvieh cross cow and was sired by a Red Simmental bull purchased from Van and Kathy Neidig, from Battle Creek, Nebraska

Alldressedinuniform.jpg

All dressed in uniform
Sunflowersguardingthewatertank.jpg

Sunflowers guarding the water tank
Yearlingheifers.jpg

Yearling heifers
Oldranchsite.jpg

Old ranch site
Remnantsofbygonedays.jpg

Remnants of bygone days
Sittingatarakishangle.jpg

Sitting at a rakish angle
Baleatsundown.jpg

Baleful bale at sundown

Soapweed; I can't help but notice that when fencing you rely pretty heavy on the "goon spoons". Don't you use post pounders? There's a couple of Canadian companies that make pounders with Honda motors and hydraulic power packs that can be towed by trucks..........heavy duty,rugged units that almost all the custom fencers use up here. Believe me they can pound a slug of posts in a day!

cowsense said:
Soapweed; I can't help but notice that when fencing you rely pretty heavy on the "goon spoons". Don't you use post pounders? There's a couple of Canadian companies that make pounders with Honda motors and hydraulic power packs that can be towed by trucks..........heavy duty,rugged units that almost all the custom fencers use up here. Believe me they can pound a slug of posts in a day!

If I was doing the fencing, I'd probably use the pounders. My 'friendly fencer' is too much of a perfectionist to use pounders, because they wouldn't end up straight enough. He does a great job, and I try to just stay clear the heck out of his way, and keep plenty of posts on hand. When he finishes a job, it is done right.

The digging is hard right now because it is so dry. Usually in the spring, when the ground is moist, this country is very easy digging. A person can have a hole dug by hand in about the same time it would take to get a pounder into position, or to get an auger lined up.

"Old Ranch Site" might be my favorite one in this string of photo's. I do like that last one alot too. Is the windmill still in operation in the "old ranch site" one?

Thems the kinda places I like to pilfer around at LOL

Soapweed: lol.....yaah I can see that your fencer is character enough to do things his way.......nothing wrong with that! BTW our fencer (before he quit and went back cowboying) is a perfectionist and craftsman......his fences are straight and built right. Two men were completely building from 3/4 to a mile and a 1/4 of new 4 wire fence a day (depended on how rough the ground was). They can pound and move far faster than anyone could ever dig and tamp in our rocks!

Soapweed..I always enjoy your pictures and the comments that go with them...but "All dressed in uniform"is for sure my all time favorite,IMHO that is your best picture ever.

Soapweed-thanks SO much for the trip across your ranch :!: Lucky that there is a man that wants to fence for you -look like he does an exceptional job too.Congratulations on the Reserve Grand Champion-way to go :) I can see why you earned this award. Now for the epds on this calf that won-lets see surely his breeding can be traced back to ???????LOL :lol: :lol:

Rowdy Ranch said:
Soapweed-thanks SO much for the trip across your ranch :!: Lucky that there is a man that wants to fence for you -look like he does an exceptional job too.Congratulations on the Reserve Grand Champion-way to go :) I can see why you earned this award. Now for the epds on this calf that won-lets see surely his breeding can be traced back to ???????LOL :lol: :lol:

Yea Soapweed what were the EPD's on the prize winning steer? :wink: :wink:

In the mornin glory pictures, the holes in the ground behind them are ground owl burrows ain't they?

Any time your ready you can send your fence man right on down here to Texas and we'll put him to work. Our ground's not near as hard to put a post in as yours is.....Tell him it's easier diggin.... :D

I've talked with Van some. Might get a few embryos from him in the future from some of those good ER Red daughters. Nelson's had good luck with that bulls' daughters, too, up in my country.

Badlands

Great pics, as always!

Just have one small question, and everyone will probably think I'm a complete idiot, but why do you put hay on the new fenceline? This is the first time I ever heard of doing that...........of course, most of our fences are on flat ground (straight up and down kinda flat) so the hay wouldn't stay long anyway, plus all the elk and deer that we have would probably do a good job mowin it down!

Thanks!

:cboy:

this one's a toss-up as to which is my favorite....I LOVE sunsets, but I am also very partial to old homesteads.....Lord, if that land could only talk, the stories they could tell us!!!! :D :D :D

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
"Old Ranch Site" might be my favorite one in this string of photo's. I do like that last one alot too. Is the windmill still in operation in the "old ranch site" one?

Thems the kinda places I like to pilfer around at LOL

Me too Lily. I like pictures that have the mystery of past history.
Well, I guess all history is past history, isn't it?
And the sundown scene is just plain beautiful.

Man, you are a lucky guy to have all that help Soapweed. You better take Peach Blossom on a nice vacation this year, as long as you have all the capable help along. They are so efficient that they might not even miss you. :wink: We have been busy running water to places that were lacking it. The dams and dugouts looked good this spring, but a lot of them are already low, so more pipelines are needed here. I know we have over 30 miles of pipelines now and quite a few windmills too.

Of course we on ranchers.net might miss the pictures, if you were to get away for a while. Maybe we should do a poll on where you should vacation, and you would take your camera along for a nice report on what you saw. I would like to see some of the SW, as I haven't spent much time there. That's my vote.

Any other ideas? :?

Faster horses said:
Wonderful pictures, Soapweed.

This time my favorite was "Baleful bale at Sundown."

Thanks!

I'm not sure FH. I have seen that orange glow one too many times.... I would check for a grass fire over the ridge. 8)

Good pictures

have a good one

lazy ace

Latest posts