• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Recent pictures, September 9, 2006

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Newyardgateontheranch.jpg

New house yard gate
Viewfromtheotherdirection.jpg

View from the other direction
othergate.jpg

The other new gate
Swivelingdeerhead.jpg

The deer head swivels when the gate opens
Viewfromtheotherway.jpg

View with the gate turned the other direction
EqualopportunityII.jpg

This outfit is an equal opportunity employer
GoodcowwithpoorEPDs.jpg

Good cow, but poor EPDs
Signreadytoraise.jpg

Sign ready to raise
Haulingwatertomakethediggingeasi-1.jpg

Hauling water to make the digging easier
Gotitupjustbarelybeforedark.jpg

The sign read: "Cherry County, God's Own Cow Country". We got it up just before dark.
PeachBlossompartnerincrime.jpg

Peach Blossom, my partner in crime
Asoapweedhunkeredunderthesign.jpg

A soapweed hunkered under the sign
Loadinganotheronethenextmorning.jpg

Loading the second sign the next morning
Acrobaticwife.jpg

My acrobatic wife
Tallinthesaddle.jpg

Tall in the saddle
APeachonthetree.jpg

A Peach on the tree
Puttingitup.jpg

Putting it up by using arm extenders on our hay hauling Hydra-Bed
Thesignhaulingconveyence.jpg
[/img]
The sign hauling conveyance
Standingsentinelonthehilltop.jpg

Standing sentinel on the hilltop
FootballgameatHyannis.jpg

Football game in Hyannis
KosmoKidsecondfromleft.jpg

Kosmo Kid is second from the left

Faster horses said:
Great photos, really like that gate.

One question, tho: Where's the picture of YOU up on the sign
Soapweed? Or are you 'fraid of heights? :wink:

A "Cool Hand Luke" was needed running the controls. That was my job. :wink:

Great pictures...so did you put the Cherry County sign next to HWY 20 so we can all enjoy it when we drive that long ole road? I'll be looking for it next time we're heading that way!

Jassy said:
Great pictures...so did you put the Cherry County sign next to HWY 20 so we can all enjoy it when we drive that long ole road? I'll be looking for it next time we're heading that way!

One of the signs is east of Wood Lake a couple miles, on the north side of the road. The other is on Highway 83, north of Thedford and about a half mile north of the Cherry County line. It is high on a hill on the west side of the highway. The letters don't stand out as well as we had hoped, in contrast with the boards. It is a little hard to read, and the letters might have to be painted at some time in the future.

Soapweed-

That deer's antlers looks as if it may be bordering on "Non-typical". No BIG prizewinner, but a nice trophy nevertheless.

DOC HARRIS

Soapweed said:
Jassy said:

One of the signs is east of Wood Lake a couple miles, on the north side of the road. The other is on Highway 83, north of Thedford and about a half mile north of the Cherry County line. It is high on a hill on the west side of the highway. The letters don't stand out as well as we had hoped, in contrast with the boards. It is a little hard to read, and the letters might have to be painted at some time in the future.

Thedford, I spent a couple of hours beside the railroad tracks in Thedford trying to get some sleep. Finally decided I might as well just drive to North Platte for breakfast then on to Kansas to deliver the horse I was hauling.

Man.....ol' #299 has had some rough winters!!!! Get that gal a hat with ear flaps!!

DOC HARRIS said:
Soapweed-
That deer's antlers looks as if it may be bordering on "Non-typical". No BIG prizewinner, but a nice trophy nevertheless.
DOC HARRIS

This deer skull was found about a month ago pretty high up in some hills. We were horseback getting bulls out at the time. The Kosmo Kid graciously packed it to the pickup.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:
Jassy said:

Thedford, I spent a couple of hours beside the railroad tracks in Thedford trying to get some sleep. Finally decided I might as well just drive to North Platte for breakfast then on to Kansas to deliver the horse I was hauling.

You should have just drove on a couple miles to a secluded spot where the train tracks weren't so close to continue your nap. :wink: :shock: 8) :cowboy:

:kid: :cboy: :hat: :sure: Hat's sure the way I'dda had to done it. :wink:

kolanuraven said:
Man.....ol' #299 has had some rough winters!!!! Get that gal a hat with ear flaps!!

It's too late. All that's left to save now is the tag. :wink: :)

we rarely see trees in your pics, then this beautiful post fence picture explains where all your trees went!

if I had to live in that darn state of yours Soapweed, I sure think your neck of the woods is where I want to be.....just plain beautiful.

dad roped up in Thedford when I was a kid, spent a week up there way back in the late 70's. found a few arrow heads, but stopped searching when a guy told us about the rattlesnakes!!

jigs said:
we rarely see trees in your pics, then this beautiful post fence picture explains where all your trees went!

if I had to live in that darn state of yours Soapweed, I sure think your neck of the woods is where I want to be.....just plain beautiful.

dad roped up in Thedford when I was a kid, spent a week up there way back in the late 70's. found a few arrow heads, but stopped searching when a guy told us about the rattlesnakes!!

All the wooden fence material is "imported" to our state. As the pioneers found out the hard way, there is not even enough natural wood to stoke a camp fire. Cow chips were the fuel of convenience, and houses were made of sod. Those pioneers led a pretty hard life.

nice, sturdy looking gates ya built yourself, soapweed!! Sure would look nice bordering my front yard!! :wink: :wink:
Thanks for sharing!!! :D :D

Soapweed said:
jigs said:

All the wooden fence material is "imported" to our state. As the pioneers found out the hard way, there is not even enough natural wood to stoke a camp fire. Cow chips were the fuel of convenience, and houses were made of sod. Those pioneers led a pretty hard life.

In all that sand,where did you find sod solid enough to make a house?

Juan said:
In all that sand,where did you find sod solid enough to make a house?

Actually, it wasn't me that was looking, :wink: it was my forefathers.

Come to think of it, it wasn't my four fathers, it was two of my four great-grandfathers. They were able to find solid sod from the naturally sub-irrigated meadow ground to use for building their sod houses.

Say, Juan, any chance you will be going on the South Dakota Angus Tour to be held on Tuesday? Might see you there, if you do. :wink:

Nice shots. I like that area up there too. You can come down here and cut cedar trees anytime you want :!: :!: :!: :wink: Just as long as you leave us enough to last a couple years worth of firewood and some baby calf protection :nod:

neat signs Soap. We've got a few cows that rival yours, one of them Murphy's law about the cows having them on the coldest day of the year.

Soapweed I also attended the game in Hyannis and watched as Cody won. Hyannis had won against Thedford the week before but only managed to score once in the Cody game.

What did you guys think of the "unseasoned" announcer that said Hyannis scored a touchdown they put it on the board only to have to remove it due to it not being a touchdown? :shock:

Hyannis I do think has the talent they just lack the guidance. It was a problem last year and from the Cody game seems to be one this year too...........

How's Cody's season? Hyannis is sitting 1-1 and they travel to Mullen Friday night. I haven't heard anything about Mullen's team but usually coach Brown has a good team.

Soapweed:

Thanks so much for taking the time to post pics. Alot of them look like I want my stuff to look--without all that annoying junk laying around, half finished projects, etc!

You sure do things right and I really appreciate getting to see your goings on!

Latest posts