• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Record setting day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
We had a nigh temperature at the ranch yesterday of 113 degrees. Cool colorful Colorado, my foot.

It was so hot that

1. We left our old John Deere 3020 tractor idling during lunch because it doesn't always start. When we came back from lunch, it had moved under a cottonwood tree and shut off.

2. Our neighbor buys Mexican cattle and runs them next to us. There is a small field of popcorn growing near them. It got so hot the popcorn popped in the field. Those Mexican steers saw it and thought it was snow - about a dozen of them froze to death.

3. We were looking at the cattle and noticed one black steer trying to make water. Finally, a puff of steam came out under his belly and that was all.

Any more it was so hot stories?

Yeah, I heard that number 2 one before. This is true i know. On a Texas Road between Childress and Amarillo, the asphalt was melted. It looked like oil slicks. I have HEARD that a mirage from some place in Europe somewhere like Germany, showed actual things going on hundreds of miles away in Russia. I can't understand that, but hey, you asked for it.

I hadn't heard any of them and I liked 'em a lot. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, I did. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Here we have some "it is so dry" stories, but I'm not going to tell them until it is really dry again. And I hope it is so long til it is dry that I forget the stories!!! :wink:

Cowpuncher said:
We had a nigh temperature at the ranch yesterday of 113 degrees. Cool colorful Colorado, my foot.

I can sympathize! We are broiling in our own juices, as well! Hotter than blazes! Walked outside this morning and felt like I had taken a wrong turn into a blast furnace. :???: :???:

It was so hot that

1. We left our old John Deere 3020 tractor idling during lunch because it doesn't always start. When we came back from lunch, it had moved under a cottonwood tree and shut off.

2. Our neighbor buys Mexican cattle and runs them next to us. There is a small field of popcorn growing near them. It got so hot the popcorn popped in the field. Those Mexican steers saw it and thought it was snow - about a dozen of them froze to death.

3. We were looking at the cattle and noticed one black steer trying to make water. Finally, a puff of steam came out under his belly and that was all.

Cute, very cute! :lol2: :lol2:

Hope Deadwood is cooler on Sep 1. Guess the gamblers in the group will be able to fan themselves with all their winnings :roll: while those of us roaming the countryside broil 8) .

Hope your heatwave breaks soon.

I seriously doubt that it will be very hot in Deadwood. It is pretty far up in the Black Hills and though the 'hills' aren't mountains, they are pretty steep. And they are beautiful. Sometimes I even think they are better than mountains because most of them are useable by livestock. They don't have as much live water that mountains have, but there is some.

We have gone to meetings in Deadwood in January and it is plumb nice. Can walk up and down in the evenings without a jacket sometimes.

Jinglebob would know more than me about this. Let's see what he says. I really don't expect it to be hot.

There is no emoticons for "eat your words." :wink:

I was breeding a group of heifers yesterday in the 'cool' Colorado mountains (6-21). For the first time the Cito thaw was not plugged in and I had to keep adding cool water to keep the thaw unit from overheating. Have done this in NM, but never in this state.

Even though there was only one little cloud around, one of my dairy customers got hit with a small tornado that took off one roof, a couple of trees went down and really left the place a mess. Luckily no cows got hit by the flying tin, but the milkers were a bit shaken up. It will take a couple of days to clean up those pens. Tornadoes in the CO mountains, really unusual.

I guess it was more of a record setting day than we thought. Later in the afternoon, a few clouds came by and we had dry lightning. Though we were spared, adjoining ranches lost several thousand acres to fires. We need rain bad.

We are trying to scrounge an old fire truck to keep on our end of the county. Fire fighters had to travel 30 - 50 miles to the fires. Anyone know where one can be had?

Cowpuncher said:
I guess it was more of a record setting day than we thought. Later in the afternoon, a few clouds came by and we had dry lightning. Though we were spared, adjoining ranches lost several thousand acres to fires. We need rain bad.

We are trying to scrounge an old fire truck to keep on our end of the county. Fire fighters had to travel 30 - 50 miles to the fires. Anyone know where one can be had?

What are you looking for? I may be able to get you a 2-1/2 ton 6X6 or something. I need some info.

Mudhen:
What are you looking for? I may be able to get you a 2-1/2 ton 6X6 or something. I need some info.

We aren't particular. Anything that was a fire truck would be great.
We were going to mount a couple of old propane tanks on an old Chevrolet flatbed. We have a lot of sandy ground so all wheel drive would be great. And old military duece and a half would be ideal. Most of the guys on the volunteer fire department are farmers or ranchers and we can make anything work.

Please let me know details and cost. [email protected][/i]

Yep, it was so hot and dry here the other day that if I had eaten a bowl of chili for lunch, I wouldn't have wanted to spit that afternoon for fear of starting a prairie fire.

The trees were even seen chasing the dogs around! :wink:

We are officially 4 inches below normal again this year, and the country is a baked white color after the heat we have had lately. Oh well, it's almost August.

real Jake- Hate to hear how dry it is down there--Did you get any rain last night? I saw some storms were going thru your's and ranchers area....

We're still green here, but quickly turning...Stacked for awhile this morning early but I'm done haying for the day as they are predicting temps in the 90's with 40 mph winds gusting to 60-- We had thunderstorms and showers this morning, but the humidity is already down to 25% now :cry: -- Can't wait for the cool front they are predicting to move in on Monday- predicting 70's and low 80's for a few days, so will try to get some cow work done then....

Cowpuncher said:

Cowpuncher, a few years ago I purchased a 200-gallon fire fighting unit mounted on a nice little trailer. It pulls around easily, and the glory is that it doesn't tie up a pickup. Just hook it up to whatever you are driving when a fire breaks out. It was sold by Warne Chemical Company out of Rapid City, South Dakota. At the time, it seems like it cost around $3500, with a 5 and a half horsepower Honda engine, 10 gallon per minute pump, and 75' of hose.

One night, my wife and I ran 1100 gallons through this outfit fighting fire and refilling at available windmills. I have a sump pump that can fill a 200 gallon tank in less than five minutes.

It seems like timeliness is the key. A fire can get quite a head start if the fire department is too many miles away.

OT- there was quite the lightning storm in ranchers general direction last night, but all we got was the wind from the edge of the storm. Another hot dry day here today so far. We have decent grass conditions here for our rainfall we have had, but the hay was short. Better than last year when there was none at all. The needle grass is thick this year, and would be like kerosene if we ever get a fire going. Everyone is on the lookout around this area for possible fires. We have an outstanding bunch of fire depts. along with rancher units too. Our area seems to be somewhat prone to fire for some reason. Must be the short dense grasses that sometimes grow. :wink:

I thought it was interesting that the footage of the fire they had in the Black Hills recently looked like the country was pretty green to burn, but it sure did burn though. The trees are so dry from years of drought conditions, I would bet.

We don't need a lot of rain to have decent grass around here if it falls at the right time, and this year it rained early enough to help some.

Picking up bales won't take all fall around here!

the real jake said:
OT- there was quite the lightning storm in ranchers general direction last night, but all we got was the wind from the edge of the storm. Another hot dry day here today so far. We have decent grass conditions here for our rainfall we have had, but the hay was short. Better than last year when there was none at all. The needle grass is thick this year, and would be like kerosene if we ever get a fire going. Everyone is on the lookout around this area for possible fires. We have an outstanding bunch of fire depts. along with rancher units too. Our area seems to be somewhat prone to fire for some reason. Must be the short dense grasses that sometimes grow. :wink:

I thought it was interesting that the footage of the fire they had in the Black Hills recently looked like the country was pretty green to burn, but it sure did burn though. The trees are so dry from years of drought conditions, I would bet.

We don't need a lot of rain to have decent grass around here if it falls at the right time, and this year it rained early enough to help some.

Picking up bales won't take all fall around here!

Or here we got about 50% of what we normally get,we still got real dry conditions in the TX hill country,be glad to see this summer end..........good luck

Today, in a parking lot, the birds were getting at some dropped onion rings, and dragging peices under vehicles to eat it. Haha. Too hot for 'em.

But yeah, it was so hot the lizards were sunning themselves in the shade.

Latest posts