• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Record weights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Why has no one even wondered what the deal is on this?

I think it might be the 'grown-up' model of the four to six pound weight frying chickens people in my locality (west central SD) buy from some colony folks. How close am I, and where will it be marketed? These frying chickens we get are so much better than ANY other chicken, and 'real' farmers raise them.

But, I do shudder to think what that very real competition (assuming the deal ever happens) would do to beef, due to our costs of production contrasted with that of chicken.

Excepting for the fact that the flavor and nutrient content of quality beef tops ANY chicken! We will need checkoff work more than ever to get the super nutrition of beef messages to consumers.

MRJ

agman - we routinely grow them almost that big right here on the farm and they taste great.

MRJ - check off? Every time I go to the grocery store - I do this a lot when I am away on business - I look at pricing. So does the consumer. The biggest fear I believe we should all have is the "price factor"

When "Mrs. Living In The City Mom" does the shopping she buys low cost meat and steaks for treats.

B.C.

Its really not unusual to have a nine pound farm raised chicken,and yes they taste great,they are not force fed.

My relatives are in the broiler business-I don't think you could raise them in the factory setting much past four piounds-they start having heart attacks and other troubles at that weight. I guess you could limit feed them but then they wouldn't be as efficient-not a big deal to see 9-10 pound farm raised roasters though.

So, agman, what is your point? Do you think this will influence the price of chicken and affect beef demand in return? Or did you not know that chickens grown in "FARM" situations can get to nine pounds?

I guess those who have pushed and shoved to get factory farming into our culture have forgotten what it is like to actually live and participate in a family farm. :roll:

Chief, I think everbody except you understands those annecdotes about 9# chickens represent a miniscule segment of the chicken competition we face at the meatcase. If the broiler industry begins raising 9# chickens in large quantities, they'll sure be tougher competition.

I object to the term "factory farming" as an emotion charged slur. I just don't think its productive to try to lable productivity advancements as "good" versus "factory farming"

agman said:
Beware of the nine pound chicken which is coming soon to the supermarket.

No, BEWARE OF ALL FACTORY FARMED CHICKENS!!!! Sorry Brad, didn't mean to offend you, but in the case of poultry farms, calling them 'factory farms' IS being polite. A more accurate name would be 'Sewage House Farms'...you obviously haven't been privy to the order of the exhaust fans from such places. I NEVER buy their chickens!

Agman, what is the purpose of the 'nine pound chicken'? It's not that consumers are demanding this...is it???? :wink: It's a competition issue...that's what commodity food production is all about...small profit margin(key word being 'profit'), large volume of sales, and limiting competition. The 'price only' consumer base can never be pleased with lower prices...if the product is given to them, they would complain that they weren't given enough! You claim to be on the producer's side and I certainly want to believe that...so here is a question for you.

There is no way beef can compete with poultry(or pork) in the cost of per pound of edible product. Factors...feed conversion, reproduction, time from conception to finished animal, control of environment in the production process, cost of maintaining producing livestock(cow maintenance)...beef is at a disadvantage on all these and maybe more that aren't coming to me right now. With the high cost of production, how do we convince the public to buy beef at a price level that will keep high cost producers of the USA and Canada profitable?

Brad S said:
Chief, I think everbody except you understands those annecdotes about 9# chickens represent a miniscule segment of the chicken competition we face at the meatcase. If the broiler industry begins raising 9# chickens in large quantities, they'll sure be tougher competition.

I object to the term "factory farming" as an emotion charged slur. I just don't think its productive to try to lable productivity advancements as "good" versus "factory farming"

You sure got the point of my post, Brad! There just are not many people who have the traditional "old McDonalds Farm" type of operation, producing most of what they eat in that pastoral setting that seems far more myth than reality to even me at age 66. Even back in pioneer/homesteading days in my area, we got a lot of our vegetables in cans in great part because there was no water to grow them with in our 14" precip. in good years locale. Few people had good water from the few wells in the area. Too much alkali. Sure a few raised decent gardens, and most did have chickens, but few have over the past thirty years, more or less. Same for pigs and a milk cow.

We don't even know if those colony chickens we like so much are 'pasture grown' or cage grown! But they sure are tasty! And they are not likely to fill much of the current national/international market for chicken, either.

I do wonder about the breed of chickens I saw quite a few years ago that were supposed to grow to weights similar to or greater than agman mentioned, called Cornish X. Could that be what "your" birds are, agman?

MRJ

I agree with robertmac. There is no way we can compete with chicken or pork if we think price. They are just more efficient, and more adapted to factory type operations. The large feed lots are as near as we have come to that. They can use large numbers to offset small margins and still show a profit.

I don't really know where the beef and cattle industry is headed, but after seeing some of the recent prices being paid for land here localy, it sure knocks the stilts out from under those who believe the family farm or ranch can survive.

We are in the broiler business. We typically grow a 5.5 lb chicken in 49 days. Our sister complexes grow a 7.5 to 8.0 lb bird for the deboning market. Bigger birds are the norm nowday.

Only a few companies grow the 4.0 lb bird and those are cutup for KFC and similar resturants. They want them small since they buy by the lb and sell by the piece.

Beef will never be able to compete on a per lb basis so we must continue to promote our taste advantage and keep working on quick and easy precooked beef.

Johnny

As far as cattle competing against chickens and pork, I think the only way to do it is with cheap grass. It isn't economical to run pigs and or chickens on pasture. You need to raise sheep, cattle, horses or goats. They convert the grass to a saleable commodity.

We raise cattle because they harvest the grass that is produced by the sun.

Any price above what can be made off from grasslands, is blue sky.

Whats kept most ranchers going in this part of the world is that land values have risen, so they can afford to lose money on the livestock over the long haul and still show that they are solvent. This is a very simple study in land/ranch economics, but is still pretty true.

As for the 9 pound chicken and MRJ saying what she buys is good, I don't care to eat chicken, so I can't argue. I prefer beef. :)

RobertMac said:
agman said:

No, BEWARE OF ALL FACTORY FARMED CHICKENS!!!! Sorry Brad, didn't mean to offend you, but in the case of poultry farms, calling them 'factory farms' IS being polite. A more accurate name would be 'Sewage House Farms'...you obviously haven't been privy to the order of the exhaust fans from such places. I NEVER buy their chickens!

Agman, what is the purpose of the 'nine pound chicken'? It's not that consumers are demanding this...is it???? :wink: It's a competition issue...that's what commodity food production is all about...small profit margin(key word being 'profit'), large volume of sales, and limiting competition. The 'price only' consumer base can never be pleased with lower prices...if the product is given to them, they would complain that they weren't given enough! You claim to be on the producer's side and I certainly want to believe that...so here is a question for you.

There is no way beef can compete with poultry(or pork) in the cost of per pound of edible product. Factors...feed conversion, reproduction, time from conception to finished animal, control of environment in the production process, cost of maintaining producing livestock(cow maintenance)...beef is at a disadvantage on all these and maybe more that aren't coming to me right now. With the high cost of production, how do we convince the public to buy beef at a price level that will keep high cost producers of the USA and Canada profitable?

The purpose of the nine pound chicken is to produce more breast meat for fabrication. The new plant is located in TX.

As far as beef competing on price that is a waste of time. Consumers buy VALUE. It is up to each of us to ensure that beef represents the greatest value to consumers. When you realize that is the goal and the path to improving beef demand then one recognizes all the opportunity for the various segments of the cattle industry.

The primary way to drive value is through constantly raising the quality bar. The minute we no longer advance the quality bar we are going backwards and we left to compete on price which is a losing battle. Remember that quality and the value created means alot of different things to different people. Therein exists tremendous opportunity for individual producers. Have faith, this industry is moving in the right direction despite those who constantly cry "wolf".

agman said:
RobertMac said:
agman said:

The purpose of the nine pound chicken is to produce more breast meat for fabrication. The new plant is located in TX.

As far as beef competing on price that is a waste of time. Consumers buy VALUE. It is up to each of us to ensure that beef represents the greatest value to consumers. When you realize that is the goal and the path to improving beef demand then one recognizes all the opportunity for the various segments of the cattle industry.

The primary way to drive value is through constantly raising the quality bar. The minute we no longer advance the quality bar we are going backwards and we left to compete on price which is a losing battle. Remember that quality and the value created means alot of different things to different people. Therein exists tremendous opportunity for individual producers. Have faith, this industry is moving in the right direction despite those who constantly cry "wolf".

The value of beef is compromised if the consumer believes beef has ill effects on their health. Beef is linked in the minds of consumers to saturated fats. Saturated fats are held responsible for many of our chronic health problems. Fast food industry (read hamburgers) is bashed daily. Until this issue is effectively addressed, beef has a value problem!

The conundrum is high quality, high value beef has lots of saturated fats!

Latest posts