• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Red Color Probability

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AGN

Reaction score
Looking for some clarity on red color probability with regards to the wild type carriers....EE+.

Q1. If a heterozygous black hided bull (red carrier) breeds a black hided EE+ cow.....what is the % probability of a red calf?

Q2. If a black hided EE+ bull breeds a black hided EE+ cow....what is the probability of a red calf?

Thanks for the help.

http://scienceprimer.com/punnett-square-calculator

I'd say your chance of getting a red calf are in exact opposite proportion to how bad you want or don't want a red calf...know what I mean Earl? :wink: :lol2:

50% for question #1

Q1 - Ee x EE+ , there is no chance of a TRUE red calf. Your possibilities are 25% EE+ - most likely black, 25% EE- Homo Black, 25% Ee - Hetero Black, 25% E+e - Hetero wild type, probably red in colour, but may change from red colour at birth to black with red points at maturity.

Q2 - EE+xEE+ - Again NO chance of a TRUE red. You will get 25% EE - Homo Black, 25% EE+ - Hetero Black, and 50% E+E+ or Homo Wild type, probably starting out red or reddish and changing to black or almost black at maturity.

randiliana said:
Q1 - Ee x EE+ , there is no chance of a TRUE red calf. Your possibilities are 25% EE+ - most likely black, 25% EE- Homo Black, 25% Ee - Hetero Black, 25% E+e - Hetero wild type, probably red in colour, but may change from red colour at birth to black with red points at maturity.

Q2 - EE+xEE+ - Again NO chance of a TRUE red. You will get 25% EE - Homo Black, 25% EE+ - Hetero Black, and 50% E+E+ or Homo Wild type, probably starting out red or reddish and changing to black or almost black at maturity.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I asked is because I had scenario #1 and ended up with a red calf. I didn't think it was possible and I am trying to understand why and what the probability it is of it happening in the future.

The bull was a red carrier. The cow was a wild type EE+. The calf is red. All 3 have been DNA verified as such.

Now I am more confused. Lol.

I had to try for some humor-since I was surprised with a red calf Saturday morning...black sire & dam. Bull is home raised-out of registered stock I own. Cow is an undocumented worker.

Here's some more info that might help you... I would be interested in seeing photos of her...

http://easygenes.blogspot.ca/2009/01/darkening-factor.html

http://easygenes.blogspot.ca/2008/02/black-or-red-or.html

DejaVu said:
I had to try for some humor-since I was surprised with a red calf Saturday morning...black sire & dam. Bull is home raised-out of registered stock I own. Cow is an undocumented worker.

But, your earlier post is quite true....the more you want it, the less likely you are to get it.. :lol:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7d6274_7c265c2c98674a5fa62ca384125c5162.png/v1/fill/w_600,h_339,al_c,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/7d6274_7c265c2c98674a5fa62ca384125c5162.png

Interesting. The problem is that there are so many modifier genes that affect how colours come out. Consider the shades of Red or the shades of Tan or Grey. Quite likely that is the difference between your calf and my calf in my blog. It will be interesting to see if she darkens, or if parts of her darken (face/legs/tail) as she ages.

randiliana said:
Interesting. The problem is that there are so many modifier genes that affect how colours come out. Consider the shades of Red or the shades of Tan or Grey. Quite likely that is the difference between your calf and my calf in my blog. It will be interesting to see if she darkens, or if parts of her darken (face/legs/tail) as she ages.

Yes. As she is now....she's pretty true red. Will see what happens.

randiliana said:
AGN said:
I've never posted a pic on here. How's it done?

Above the text box in the Full Editor, (where you type your post)is a little button that says Img just hilight your link then click on the Img button.

Thanks.

Just like those great commercial cows you want heifers from.. keep making bull calves, and the cows that are sub-par and you don't consider anything from.. well.. they'll keep making heifers.

Nesikep said:
Just like those great commercial cows you want heifers from.. keep making bull calves, and the cows that are sub-par and you don't consider anything from.. well.. they'll keep making heifers.

Use some bulls out of those Good cows and in all reality that should get you better cows quicker. Of course you could buy some bulls from one of those registUrd outfits that doesn't own a knife.

I did keep a bull out of one of those cows.. She had 2 steers, they were beauties, then 2 heifers that I kept, then 3 bulls in a row, I kept them all intact, The first I sold to a neighbor (meat price), and he didn't pass BSE in the spring due to a crooked/broken penis, which was really unfortunate (He was VERY nice).. Second bull was a full brother that I kept for myself, he's 2 years old now and I have one calf of his on the ground so far.. looks good.. Then I kept the 3rd, but he's not shaping up as I had hoped. The heifers I've gotten from her have turned into good cows.. the older one had the biggest steer of the herd last year.. 650 lbs @ 180 days. I want a whole herd of them kind of cows.
For better or for worse, and certainly as a learning experience I'm going to do a little bit of line breeding and try to get more uniformity in the herd, and keeping my own bulls at least once in a while is a good start to that. I'm just small fish, I do this because I enjoy it, though it is my living as well, so I won't have any freeloaders around.

Latest posts