• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Red Skelton's Pledge to Allegiance

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The Pledge of allegiance By Red Skelton
"I remember this one teacher. To me, he was the greatest teacher - a real sage of my time. He had such wisdom. We were all reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and he walked over. Mr. Lasswell was his name. He said: 'I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester, and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. May, I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?'
I - me, an individual, a committee of one.
PLEDGE-dedicate all of my worldly good to give without self-pity.
ALLEGIANCE - my love and my devotion,
TO THE FLAG- our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there is respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job.
OF THE UNITED - that means that we have all come together.
STATES - individual communities that have united into 50 great states. Fifty individual communities with pride and dignity of purpose, all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.
OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC - a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And governments is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.
FOR WHICH IT STANDS. ONE NATION meaning so blessed by God.
INDIVISIBLE -incapable of being divided.
WITH LIBERTY - which is freedom and the right of power to live one's own life without threats of fear or some sort of retaliation.
AND JUSTICE - the principle of quality of dealing fairly with others.
FOR ALL - which means it's as much your country as it is mine.'
"Since I was a small boy, four states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance:
UNDER GOD Wouldn't it be pity if someone said, 'that's a prayer' and that would be eliminated from schools too!"

Latest posts