• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Refugee Housing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Montana may house evacuees
Associated Press

HELENA - Montana's potential for temporarily housing Hurricane Katrina evacuees is being evaluated, and a report is likely within a few days, Gov. Brian Schweitzer said Saturday.

"There are hundreds of thousands of displaced families in Louisiana," Schweitzer said. "This may just be one more way Montana can reach out neighbor to neighbor to help."

Schweitzer said the housing possibilities include former military dwellings at St. Marie, near Glasgow, at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls and at Fort Harrison in Helena. The St. Marie units could house 600 families immediately, and Malmstrom could accommodate 50, he said.
-----------------------------------

This is part of an article in todays Billings Gazette-- St. Marie is the former Glasgow AFB and there are hundreds of vacant houses sitting there pickled, along with barracks and officers housing- much of which could probably be put back into livable status pretty quick....But it sets right out in the middle of the prairie where 40 below and 40mph winds and 4 foot of snow weren't uncommon....

So could you imagine the culture shock of going from the bayou country and 100 degree temps to the great American desert with fall and winter coming on....The old airmen used to argue over which was the coldest base in the world-- most said that Glasgow and Minot were comparable to Greenland and colder than Alaska.....

I heard on the news today that a few thousand are coming here to Camp Riply in central MN. Not exactly tropical either once the seasons change.

Tom S said:
I heard on the news today that a few thousand are coming here to Camp Riply in central MN. Not exactly tropical either once the seasons change.

Good to see you posting Tom, on the post,they moved about 30,000 folks that were flooded out in lousianna to San Antonio the other day,and I heard on the local news that were wanting to find work for some of them,give a phone # to call I think Ill check into it time permitting and see if I can work a few of them some...........good luck PS spend some of that ole money you got stashed and buy you a digital camera,post some pictures of that old "model 50" :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
I heard on the local news that were wanting to find work for some of them,give a phone # to call I think Ill check into it time permitting and see if I can work a few of them some

Maybe you arn't the horses hind end you sound like 99.8% of the time. I'm impressed Hay Maker. :shock: :wink:

Muratic said:
HAY MAKER said:
I heard on the local news that were wanting to find work for some of them,give a phone # to call I think Ill check into it time permitting and see if I can work a few of them some

Maybe you arn't the horses hind end you sound like 99.8% of the time. I'm impressed Hay Maker. :shock: :wink:

Are'nt you lost Muratic,I had no idea you were a lady, if I was a lil blunt with you on another board........I apologize mam..........good luck PS I believe you to be a lil hard on me with that 99.8 :D

HAY MAKER said:
Tom S said:

Good to see you posting Tom, on the post,they moved about 30,000 folks that were flooded out in lousianna to San Antonio the other day,and I heard on the local news that were wanting to find work for some of them,give a phone # to call I think Ill check into it time permitting and see if I can work a few of them some...........good luck PS spend some of that ole money you got stashed and buy you a digital camera,post some pictures of that old "model 50" :wink:

I'll have the daughter take a picture of the 50 soon Hay Maker. I bought a digital camera this past spring. Had alot of pictures on the computer and what'ya know, lightening blasted them all away last week. Just setting up a new computer now.

Latest posts