• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Registered Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
Where would be the best place to get a really really good cow to start a registered angus herd, by flushing her and putting embryos in commercial cows recip cows until you start building your numbers up, I was thinking Schaffs, Vermillion, or Ellingson angus. Vermillions had some really good looking ones on a commercial I saw earlier, I would like to keep it under 10,000. Thanks :D

If you could go just a little more then $10,000 I could probably help you out. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could probably buy a real good cow for less from some lesser know breeders and still have a top notch base for a herd. :)

I'd spend the money of 4 or 5 lesser priced heifers just because they want alot of money does'nt make them good cattle. $10,000 for a female at SAV would just be average.For $10,000 I'll let you pick 4 out of my replacement pen.

I guess it depends what you want the pretty type or the work and wear type. If you want pretty I guess you have already answered your question. The other thing to consider is when are you planning to flush this cow. The transplant centers are going to some pretty busy places to be come Spring. With prices for bulls there is a lot of optimism in the business right now.

I would Buy ten heifers half and three quarter sisters from a herd of cows with years of breeding behind them from a herd of cows you like than if you want to use bulls from certain bloodline put them on them you will be years down the road and have some jingle in you pocket to boot.

Don't be a follower be a leader?????

Why not go to a reputable herd and buy a few older, proven cows with a great track record. I would bet you could buy some 8-10 year old cows for pretty decent money and then you know what to expect based on the progeny in front of you.

I have heard that Jorgansons have some really good genetics to, there website doesnt really tell much, where are some good registered herds using jorganson gentics that sll registered cows or hiefers?

9=10 yr olds in angus isn't old in my books just hitting their prime so I wouldn't in my case be selling cheap.I bought a nine year old cow lived to 19 made me $$$ hight out of my yard years ago'

We don't have registered cattle. but we've been using Jorgensen genetics for 20 years, and I learned pretty much everything you can know about that herd of cattle. I don't know what type of angus cattle your planning to raise, and that's a question you need to ask yourself before you purchase a cow, because there's a huge amount of difference in types of angus cattle. I know Jorgensen's aren't planning another cow sale in the near future, and they flush about 6-8 cows every spring at cow country genetics in Cody, Wyoming. Cody J. has told me that their bloodline of cattle get so obese when they send them there they never adjust well when they return, so they are just planning on flushing them until they get all the progeny out of them that they want, and then they sell them privately if they can find a buyer. I know they have a few really good one's there right now. They would be smaller framed than the Vermillion, or Schaff cows, easier keeping, with more middle of the road e.p.d.'s. They will have tremendous dispositions, and they will gain weight like crazy on a minimal amount of feed. A son of one of their sire's (Ideal 7773)broke the alltime record at the Midland bull test last year over any breed in history for feed conversion, and that trait is bred in alot of their cattle. So if your interested give Cody Jorgensen a call at 1-800-548-BULL and visit with him. He might have a good one you could deal him out of. Hope this helps. :wink:

AngusCowBoy said:
I have heard that Jorgansons have some really good genetics to, there website doesnt really tell much, where are some good registered herds using jorganson gentics that sll registered cows or hiefers?

Sinclair angus has a lot of the old Jorgenson breeding- along with the old Rito N Bar/707- and N Bar Emulation breeding..They will have their bull sale next month in Buffalo Wyo- but they already had their cow sale (in Pennsylvania)...

Check your PM's... I gave you some names of some folks probably fairly close...

Thanks guys for the suggestions. As for the type of cows I want to run, I guess I would like the cows to be 6 frame and under, and probably 1400 or less pounds, and still be able to wean off 600+ pound bull calves. I want something that will be marketable, since I will probably be able to keep 30 or so calves for bulls after the steers are culled, so they need to be marketable. I want good maternal cows, but I also want alot of performance also. Dispositions need to be good, also need to be able to graze as long as possible in the fall and still stay in good shape. :)

Anyone else have anything thing to say about Jorgensons cattle, or any other good herds that use them, or other herds?

AngusCowBoy said:
Anyone else have anything thing to say about Jorgensons cattle, or any other good herds that use them, or other herds?

we leased a couple yearling bulls from them last year. the bulls looked good, worked good, and the Jorgensons were very easy to get along with.

I've been using Jorgensen genetics almost exclusively since 1998. My cow herd had become to framey, not enough guts and capacity, some disposition problems and not very much milk. After 15 years of breeding and selecting for the fixes to my problems I can honestly say I've made great strides in the functionality of my herd of Angus cows. Of course they're not all like you want them, that's what makes this business fun, just keep trying to improve the bottom end.

The first sale I went to of theirs I saw several 100+ pound birthweights. It scared me a little but at least it told me that they were honest people and the put honest figures in their sale catalogue. I had been going to bull sales for years of breeders that were using the growthiest bulls in the breed that never recorded a 100 pound birthweight calf. I guess integrity is the word I would use to describe their program.

I believe since that time they started watching birthweight more closely because I don't have any birthweight issues in my herd.

I here you about birth weights. I went and looked at some bulls and wrote down the birth wts on the bulls I liked right out of the calving book. One bull had 109bw and the rest in the 70-80s but when the catalog came out that heavy bw calf all of a sudden only weighed 95 lbs. :?

Leave the money in the bank and checkbook at home for now and spend a year traveling around looking at different herds of cattle in your region. Winter may be a good time to visit and see how they are fed and some of the herds are calving right now so you could get an idea on calf size. How are you planning to market the offspring? It takes years to build a good reputation for selling bulls. Good luck

Latest posts