• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Remedy for Cattle Warts?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchy said:
Does anyone have a tried and true remedy for removing warts from cattle? We're really needing something that works, and works fast......

Thanks in advance!

I had a big outbreak in some heifers one year.

I ran them all through the chute and cut the warts off with a razor blade, sent them to the University Large Animal Clinic and they made a bottle of inoculant out of them.

All the warts were gone within 1- 1 1/2 months after I gave them a shot.

Didn't cost much either.

Way back when, I went through a bout with them when I was showing calves. My old ag. teacher had us cut them off and we fed them back to the calf. Supposedly the old remedy, but being as they are a live virus, I suppose it worked. It took a couple of weeks and the ones left on, dried up and no more came up.

Easty

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your advice and ideas...........everything I looked at had minimal information, mostly about the causes, not how to get rid of them.

I'll pass this along to the needy party, and they can get started with the cure!

Last year there was one of Lil Lilly's show heifers that had several on her neck, came up about 3 weeks before show time. Instead of cuttin them off, and leavin a bad spot, I used that freeze away wart remover that you can buy at the pharmacy. Worked great. But for a permanant fix, I'd say get em on a good mineral program, like Faster horses said, since we've had ours on mineral, none out in the pasture have gotten warts or ringworm.

We've never had alot of them but when we have one I just burn them off with a hot branding iron.Mineral is the key to low input cattle.I have'nt doctored anything all spring other than 4 calves that were a little loose.

Inject 1/2 cc of lydocaine under the wart. Wait about 5 minutes then pinch the wart and pull away from the skin, take a razor and cut off BELOW skin level. Once the wart is off mix a little Cattan Rose dust with Vaseline to make a paste and cover the area with the paste. In two days you will never be able to tell there was a wart there unless you run your fingers over it.

A product from JD called fluid film works good on ringworms unless it close to the eyes, then go to the store and get some of that foot cream. Takes about two weeks. The best cure is sunshine. For warts cut them off and put some wart cream on it. Yea we tried the feeding part like Grandpa said to do, but Grandpa had a cure for everything. Some worked some didn't. The mineral part is right. We've very few of our own stock with these problems, just ones that we have bought.

R&S yep lol. My grandmother had lots of tricks. The calf I spoke of was a steer I bought off of another farm. Our own, I can't really remember ever having the issue of warts. But, this old ag teacher he was great about having the old tricks to help out, like I said I dont know if it was the feeding them back..Our vet at the time said it was never proven wrong, but we did cut them all off and could have just been that....lol He did heal up within a few weeks and nothing came back.

I have heard the Cattan, guess that is spelled right, before think we used it one time also on rain rot on horses?

Interesting again to see how folks do things.

Easty

All you need to do to get rid of warts is to pull them off with a pair of pliers. Crush some of the small ones and it gets in the blood stream. This is just like the vaccination. I have done it for years in yearlings and it works every time.

I just squeeze them off with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

They are so superficial on the skin, that the animal doesn't know it has them, hence no antibodies are made to fight them.

So, the method of pinching them off, or pulling like the last poster wrote introduces them to the immune system, then the animals immunity builds and fights them.

Badlands

Ok, so what do you do about the bleeding? Will it stop on its own, or do you need to apply pressure, or what? This is a really big wart (about like a biscuit) on the shoulder, close to the elbow........

Thanks again!!!!! You guys are a tremendous amount of help, and this is the first time I've been faced with warts on a cow, too......I'm just clueless as to what needs to be done.

:cboy:

Well, it's done!

Instead of it being one really big one like I'd thought, it was actually two about the size of half dollars. Al caught her, put the halter on her, and we wormed her, then tied her to the bumper of the pickup, and Hubby tried pulling it (them) off.......no go, so he got out his pocket knife, and performed surgery. The one bled quite a bit, even after putting the blood stopper on it, but it already looks better! And had pretty much quit bleeding by the time she was finished eating breakfast.

Thanks for your input about this.........

Image-350.jpg

I've pinched them off up to half dollar size. Had to pinch them a couple or 3 times to get them pinched all the way off.

They bleed like heck, but I just figured it wasn't attached to an artery, and let them go.

Bigger than that, I haven't done.

Sounds like you got it worked out anyway. :wink:

Badlands

I am glad you got it worked out. Did you look in her ears. I would almost bet she has some smaller ones in her ears if you found a big one on her sholder. However, if you got some in her blood stream from the shoulder wart the others will fall off soon. The ones that concern me are the ones that form around the eyes.

Thanks again!
There aren't any around her eyes, at least none that are big enough to see......never thought to look in her ears, though. Next time Al catches her, we'll have a look-see.
I saved the warts, and will try putting them in some sweet feed for her in the next day or two, don't have any way to get up there till then. Hopefully, that will do the trick!
I was kinda surprised at what they looked like.....I thought they'd be attached all around the wart, but they were just on a stem kinda deal. I'm sure by the fair, they'll be completely healed and haired over, and no one will ever know they were there.
Thanks again for all the input! I'd never come across anything like that before......at first, I thought she'd lied in a cow pile and it was stuck to her........ :roll: lol

Thanks, HayMaker! We do get Valley's catalog, and I had looked at the vaccine, but that's as far as I got......we're gettin down to the wire here (60 days till fair, give or take a day) and needed to do something fast.

And thanks for the "good luck"......you have no idea how much I could use some of that right now........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts