• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Remedy for Cattle Warts?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

:???: I read a suggestion to get rid of warts by cutting them off and puttin cattan rose dust on them. Where do I find this? :???:

Donner said:
:???: I read a suggestion to get rid of warts by cutting them off and puttin cattan rose dust on them. Where do I find this? :???:

Any Farm & Garden store....and gardening center should have it also.

You'll probably have better luck finding Captan - a fungicide.

But if I were you, I'd save my money. Once you cut them off, you've done the important part.

I don't have time to read all the responses so I apologize if this was already mentioned. I prefer to grab the base of the wart with a pair of hemostats and rip it off, this pulls the "roots" of it out, the wart goes into the skin a little and cutting it off leaves some behind. This is what I learned from watching my Vet. I haven't done it, but I would agree from my Vet's advice that sending some warts off for a custom vaccine is a good idea.

EastTexasGal said:
Way back when, I went through a bout with them when I was showing calves. My old ag. teacher had us cut them off and we fed them back to the calf. Supposedly the old remedy, but being as they are a live virus, I suppose it worked. It took a couple of weeks and the ones left on, dried up and no more came up.

Easty

x2

4Diamond said:
EastTexasGal said:
Way back when, I went through a bout with them when I was showing calves. My old ag. teacher had us cut them off and we fed them back to the calf. Supposedly the old remedy, but being as they are a live virus, I suppose it worked. It took a couple of weeks and the ones left on, dried up and no more came up.

Easty

x2
X3 :D
good luck

never had to deal with cow warts,but had an Appy gelding with em on his nose.Ozonol cleaned em up in a couple of days...prolly the zinc oxide in it.same as butt cream for babies.

When I was working at the vet clinic a guy brought a heifer in that had an outbreak of warts you would not believe. You would swear she was wearing a saddle! :shock: :shock: :shock: They covered her shoulders and half her back, and were every size you could imagine. I spent an hour with a hose just getting the maggots out from underneath them. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I wish we took a picture. We pulled off what we could, and treated her for the maggots, then sent her home with instructions to keep her clean and dry and hopefully the rest would come off. I have no idea how she did, because he never called back and let us know.

One of my show steers have some in his ears and dad pulled off the one that was the size of a half dollar, and the other one dried up a couple days ago, and just like a little residue is still there so I will need to get that out.

MN Farm Girl

All you need to do to get rid of warts is to pull them off with a pair of pliers. Crush some of the small ones and it gets in the blood stream. This is just like the vaccination. I have done it for years in yearlings and it works every time.
Thank you, I have been told to do this and that's what I am planning to do. I am from Fort Payne, have one cow with warts.

Latest posts