• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

REP. ROSA L. DELAURO, DEM.-CONN , running USDA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

William Kanitz

Reaction score
REP. ROSA L. DELAURO, DEM.-CONN.:
"WE FACE A FOOD SAFETY CRISIS
THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE"

ELIZABETH BECKER, NEW YORK TIMES, FEBRUARY 11: When Representative Rosa L. DeLauro was two years old, she was stricken with salmonella poisoning, taken from her frightened parents and quarantined for two weeks in a hospital. Though she remembers little of the experience herself, her parents talked about their fears for years afterward.

Now Ms. DeLauro, a Connecticut Democrat, is on a campaign to clean up the nation's dirty food. For the sixth year in a row, she stood today with her fellow lawmakers and announced that she was co-sponsoring the Safe Food Act designed to strengthen food safety rules and streamline their enforcement.

''We face a food safety crisis,'' she said at a news conference, pointing to the record recall last year of 66 million pounds of meat that were potentially contaminated, nearly double the amount recalled in 2001. ''Even when the Agriculture Department knows a slaughterhouse is producing dirty meat it does not have the authority to close it down,'' she added. ''That is unacceptable.''

Today was the 10th anniversary of the deaths of four children from contaminated hamburgers sold at a Jack-in-the-Box in Seattle, and Ms. DeLauro was joined by mothers whose children had died or become seriously ill after eating contaminated meat over the past decade.

The mothers are part of a group called Safe Tables Our Priority, or STOP, which released a report today describing how 5,000 people die every year from preventable food-borne diseases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The report outlined the measures the group would like enacted by Congress to ensure that no other children were killed by bad food.

Unmentioned was Ms. DeLauro's own serious illness, more than a half century ago.

''It was a long time ago when the only treatment was isolation,'' Ms. DeLauro, 59, said.

Her father was an Italian immigrant, her mother an Italian-American whose family owned a pastry shop. They were bereft that their only child was locked away in a New Haven hospital, where they went every day and sat on the hospital steps, waiting to know whether their daughter would survive. ''It was traumatic for them, Italians, to think that something they had fed me had nearly killed me,'' Ms. DeLauro said.

She heard stories of her illness throughout her childhood, and was told of her anger when she was finally released, her sense of abandonment and her parents' guilt.

By the time she arrived in Congress in 1991, Ms. DeLauro said she had put the ''family legend'' out of her mind. But a committee assignment brought her into contact with food safety issues and soon with Anna Teardo, a Connecticut woman whose daughter became blind in one eye from meat contaminated by feces.

''That's when I remembered what my parents went through, and I realized I was now a part of an institution that has the ability to do something about this,'' she said in an interview in her Capitol Hill office.

Only one Republican, Tom Latham of Iowa, has signed on as a co-sponsor of her bill, which would create a single food agency to replace the 19 departments and agencies that have some responsibility for insuring that food is safe.

But with the record recalls of contaminated meat and a concern that terrorists could infect the food supply, Ms. DeLauro said she had new reasons to believe that meat safety rules would be strengthened.

Representative Jan Schakowsky, Democrat of Illinois, raised that issue at the news conference.

''If a terrorist had been responsible for killing those 5,000 people last year, don't you think we would be mobilized?'' Ms.Schakowsky asked. ''When it comes to food safety, we are on orange alert, too.''

If you go to this ladies website and read the bills she sponsored and issues she is most involved in-- it looks like the USDA and FDA could be in for some intense oversight ... In fact I get the impression she doesn't really care for the USDA....

As this lady now sits in the "Big Packers/AMI's good old boy Bonilla's" seat- as the Chairman of the Ag subcommittee of the Appropriations committee....

Could get interesting......

Next year is going to be a whopper.

I have already seen signs that GIPSA is adjusting their technical reports they have farmed out and have sat on so the GIPSA personell would not get in trouble in the upcoming turn of events.

MRJ will state it is the change of JoAnn Waterfield out but it is because they got caught red handed and now someone with responsibilty may hold them accountable.

I hope a few of them go to jail.

Goodlatte to lose position as chair of agriculture

By Blair Goldstein
[email protected]
November 9, 2006

While Rep. Bob Goodlatte handily won re-election Tuesday, the losses incurred by his Republican colleagues will cost him his leadership position.

Goodlatte, R-6th District, will lose his chairmanship of the House Agriculture Committee when the new Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

The change in control of both the House of Representatives and the Senate will place Democrats as leaders of all congressional committees. In total, three Virginia Republicans will lose their positions as committee chairmen.

Goodlatte has served as chairman of the House Agriculture Committee since 2003, and losing his leadership position comes at a particularly pivotal time.

Next year, the committee will redraft the country's Farm Bill - which sets widespread policy for America's farms, nutritional programs, farm credit system, national forests, conservation programs and commodity futures trading.

The last Farm Bill was passed in 2002.

"(Goodlatte) being chairman is and was good for Virginia because we haven't had that type of influence in D.C. in 40 or 50 years," said Wilmer Stoneman, associate director of governmental relations for the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation.

Stoneman said he had hoped that Goodlatte's leadership would help shape the next Farm Bill and send more money to Eastern states than in past years.

Goodlatte estimated that the committee has jurisdiction over about $60 billion of federal spending annually.

"I am optimistic that the man, in and of himself, will be able to still do some good things for Virginia and certainly for the Shenandoah Valley," Stoneman said. "But I will say, it probably won't be as easy as it was."

Goodlatte said he expects to retain a leadership position in the House committee. He said he would most likely become the ranking minority member, a position that will allow him to retain much of his committee staff.

He said he remains optimistic that he will continue to wield influence due to his connections with the Department of Agriculture, the Bush administration and the nature of the committee.

Unlike on many committees, Goodlatte said, differences among Agriculture Committee members often emerge along regional lines instead of party lines.

Goodlatte was the first chairman from Virginia since 1947. He has represented the Sixth District, which includes Lynchburg, for 14 years. His likely successor, Democrat Collin Peterson, is from Minnesota.

"The Agriculture Committee is the most bipartisan committee in the Congress," Goodlatte said.

"Obviously I would rather not lose it (the chairmanship), but it's going to be a far more significant change on other committees than on the Agriculture Committee."

Two other Virginia Republicans will lose their positions as committee chairs in January. Sen. John Warner, R-Va, will no longer lead the Senate Armed Services Committee and Rep. Thomas Davis, R-11th District, will no longer lead the House Government Reform Committee.

Virginia's three Democratic congressmen - Rep. Rick Boucher, D-9th District; Rep. Jim Moran, D-8th District; and Rep. Bobby Scott, D-3rd District - are poised to gain more influence in the new Congress.

The outcome of the committee shuffling is still unclear.

Republican Rep. Virgil Goode, R-5th District, is optimistic that his seniority on the House Appropriations Committee will help him retain his seat. He has served on the money committee since 2000.

"I'm going to be pushing to get back on the committee and I hope I do," Goode said.

He said he would not know for certain if his position stands until the new speaker of the House is selected next year and committee chairs are appointed.

The outcome of the committee shuffling is still unclear. *** BSE testing,M'ID, FDA records on Foods -Feeds required,COOL law everything,and the breakup of the Ma Bell's in the food industry along with the Organic state of affairs truth in advertizing.

Goodlatte should be investigated for allowing GIPSA to be so incompetent and not holding oversight hearings to root out the corruption there. JoAnn Waterfield had to have some cover to do what she did at GIPSA. Bonilla provided that cover before and was well paid for it by the packers.

Goodlatte whored out his oversight power to the packers plain and simple. He should be held accountable or it will just happen again. You can't have accountability without penalties.

The lady has clout!!!!!!!!!!! She wants one food safety agency and with so many problems lately she has a huge support. Not even the packers can sway this one. There will be investigations, all the way back to the farms and ranchers,ouch !

DeLauro Urges FDA to Conduct Independent Scientific Review

of Carbon Monoxide in Meat Packaging, Ban Use in Interim

– New poll shows 75 percent of consumers concerned by practice –

WASHINGTON , D.C. – In a letter to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Congresswoman Rosa L. DeLauro (Conn.-3) today requested that the agency conduct an independent scientific review of the practice of injecting carbon monoxide into meat packaging and to prohibit its use while it is being studied.

"In its initial review of this practice, the FDA examined industry data regarding the safety of the carbon monoxide itself, but did not examine the consumer deception aspect that can occur when meat remains bright red past the time of spoilage," wrote the lawmaker. "It is well known that consumers rely on color to determine the freshness of meat and is the reason carbon monoxide is used in the packaging of case ready meat."

DeLauro's request comes on the heels of a new survey released this week by the Consumer Federation of America, which found that 63 percent of consumers agreed with the statement that "the freshness of meat is directly related to the color of the meat." The same survey found that 75 percent of consumers are concerned about the carbon monoxide process in general.

DeLauro is ranking member of the House Appropriations Agriculture Subcommittee with jurisdiction and oversight responsibilities of the FDA and its budget.

DeLauro is ranking member of the House Appropriations Agriculture Subcommittee with jurisdiction and oversight responsibilities of the FDA and its budget. Henery Waxmans Buddy in Kind.
*** You can bet that Joan Waterford is sitting on pins and needles along with those in the USDA that supported the BIGGIES. Next Investagation!

PORKER said:
DeLauro is ranking member of the House Appropriations Agriculture Subcommittee with jurisdiction and oversight responsibilities of the FDA and its budget. Henery Waxmans Buddy in Kind.
*** You can bet that Joan Waterford is sitting on pins and needles along with those in the USDA that supported the BIGGIES. Next Investagation!

That is the same committee that the senator from Mississippi, Thad Cochrane, used to not fund and implement MCOOL. They should have funded MCOOL instead of siphoning money for their big brother livestock ID program the packers are pushing.

Unlike on many committees, Goodlatte said, differences among Agriculture Committee members often emerge along regional lines instead of party lines.
HOW ABOUT COMPANY LINES !!

The article always reffers to meat and meat recalls. What about spinach and other veggies. Is it just in style to bash meat?

Looks like she might be pushing M'ID. I wonder if Conn. is a brand state?

Big Muddy rancher said:
The article always reffers to meat and meat recalls. What about spinach and other veggies. Is it just in style to bash meat?

Looks like she might be pushing M'ID. I wonder if Conn. is a brand state?

Oh no, there is a conspiracy here, BMR. It is spinach and vegetables against meat and MID. :lol: :lol: :lol: Heck they didn't talk about poor children who don't have any food. They might be against feeding children for not mentioning it. :roll: :roll:

Hey Guys and Gals , we live in a Society that the cheaters , robbers, liers and counterfieters are not throwed in jail for 30 years !

PORKER said:
Hey Guys and Gals , we live in a Society that the cheaters , robbers, liers and counterfieters are not throwed in jail for 30 years !

and instead they lobby congress.

Woops ,maybe a couple did get throwed in jail but they are not doing hard labor! Their setting at pool side watching TV.

Latest posts