• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Respond to Pour on Kills?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
Am interested if there is an update on the pour on accident in Mike's neighborhood. I had an opportunity to visit with a top[ toxicologist yesterday. I asked him about ivermectin and cydectin. He didn't think they were particulary dangerous because they are used in humans as a dewormer and parasite control. Don't recommend taking without a doctors supervision, but thought I would pass that bit of info along. I would think it would take a huge dose to kill a human. I think it would be a good idea to keep a big water jug and some soap handy in case a cow slaps you in the face with a sarurated tail and wash immediatly. Also would be a good idea to wear those cheap plastic gloves you can get at Walmart for oil changes.

yes...I know they have used the ivermecs on humans, maybe the last 20 yrs to prevent blindness, due to a fly infections. Good product. The offender hereabouts was warbex type not the new ones.

I'd almost bet that the ivermectin products get used on humans in North America too. I did some farm visits for Pfizer and a couple places had hinted pretty strongly they'd used them when their kids had caught head lice at school. That's kind of off label if you ask me.

I found out later that the guy who died had serious heart problems, and numerous bloodclots throughout. Turned out the pour on had nothing to do with his death. He just so happened to be working calves a few days before his death and did get some ivermectin on him. Purely coincidental. Sorry I haven't updated you'all before now.

I've had a several folks from town call me to get a small amount of the injectible Ivomec for their dogs--Local vet prescribes giving a small dose orally (1-2 cc's?) for treatment of dogs with mange..... He says the pour on can kill a dog- but the injectible orally is OK.......

Oldtimer said:
I've had a several folks from town call me to get a small amount of the injectible Ivomec for their dogs--Local vet prescribes giving a small dose orally (1-2 cc's?) for treatment of dogs with mange..... He says the pour on can kill a dog- but the injectible orally is OK.......

dogs should be tested for heartworms before using ivomec.

Make sure to only use PLAIN ivomec, not ivomec plus, it will kill dogs also. The dosage is .01cc/100lb so 1/2 cc for a 50 lb dog. We use monthly on the birddogs (we train dogs professionally) once a month mainly for tick prevention. It gets everything but tapeworms.

Huh? .01 cc per 100 pounds = .005 per 50 pounds.... not .5 which equals 1/2 cc.

The math does not add up here.

try 1 cc diluted to 1000cc's (add 999cc,s of water proplene glycol) then give 0.1 cc per 10lbs if your dog does not have white feet or tip of tail ( any collie border or mix). For heart worms only .I treat a way to many ranch dogs for ivermectin toxicity. And am getting tired of trying to be diplomatic to the rancher bringing their dead dogs to me to see their last breath so they can tell mom the vet killed him.

Latest posts