• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

restraining calves for vaccination

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jungleranch

Reaction score
What's a good way to restrain young calves (150 lbs up) for vaccinations? I am thinking about buying a Priefert model 91 headgate and putting it in the middle of my wooden loading chute. I've never seen a headgate working so I don't know if it will hold a calf and expose the neck area for the vaccination. We used to just run them in the chute, rope and tie them to the side, then reach through and vaccinate. I have a lot more calves and I'm by myself now, so it would need to be something workable for a one person operation. Expense is a factor also. Thanks for any ideas.

You should be able to block one end of your alley/chute, stuff as many calves as you can in there, start at the back and release the ones you've done behind you. A marking crayon is handy if you think you might get mixed up.

we use a priefert headgate, with a handle, we crowd the calves in the alley, it will hold all but the smallest calf. one gets behind and pushes them up to the headgate because they always turn around and get crossways, it is easier to work from behind than reaching through. I would like to have calf table someday

Latest posts