• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Retaining ownership on calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but could some one tell me what it means to retain ownership on calves, and would straight black and bladies do better than baldy crossed charolais or limousin?

Depends how long your going to retain them.

Usually it means to own your calves right until they are finished and sold to a packing plant. We have done this in the past but unless you are feeding them on your own farm it seems everybody else makes their money first. :?

You could retain them through the summer grass period then sell them to a feeder.

Run Forrest!!!!! Run!!!

Big Muddy is right.. Everyone makes their money first....Only way a person would have a chance is to have tons of data on your cattle....

Here is something to live by...

When everyone wants cattle sell them and put money in bank, when nobody wants cattle then keep them and add value.

Rataining owership is financially risky unless you have the data to back it up. But on the other hand the only way to get that data is to keep the cattle or build a good relationship with the feeder and hope to get data back on their dollar. That is what I have done and it is working well.

Feeding cattle is a margin business manage your margins and things will work out. We have finished all our home-raised calves since the late 80's. Didn't always come out ahead but on the average it has worked for us. Need to put a pencil to things once in awhile anyway to keep you on your toes.

4 loads of steers 751# average 162.25 =$1200.65 per head sold in Ft.pierre S.D. on friday I'd take that kinda money and run. Feeding them your self is over $2.00 per head per day in feed cost alone.

4 loads of steers 751# average 162.25 =$1200.65 per head sold in Ft.pierre S.D. on friday I'd take that kinda money and run. Feeding them your self is over $2.00 per head per day in feed cost alone

Actually at $2 a day in feed costs, that would be pretty cheap! Have to keep in mind at 3.7 lbs of gain a day and the Aug board at 1.3, you are gaining about $4.8 per day on revenue.

I have been retaining ownership on everything the past 15 years and recently have been having them custom fed. Made money every time so far. Couple years ago it was about a wash. Last year I took the tail end of the heifers that I didn't think were good enough to make cows for me and they graded 100% choice and prime and gained about 3.5 day. Over 52 premium on those helped quite a bit.

I bought some customer calves for several years in a row and did very well on them having them custom fed. Sure the feed man and the feedlot get their money first, but that is the way agriculture is these days. It looks like to me that the really good cattle are being undervalued in the salebarn compared to the rest of the cattle. Most of the time cattle are bought based on averages of COG and ADG and FG and if you have cattle that can beat the averages you can make some money feeding your own or having them custom fed. The last couple years, I didn't buy these customer calves, because I thought they were plenty high and looking back now, given what I know about them, I could have made money on them. I remember the first load I fed and the feedlot manager told me to not tell the guy who raised them about how well they did and next year to just go buy them no matter what they brought. I realize that it isn't for everyone, but keep an open mind.

SMN Herf said:
4 loads of steers 751# average 162.25 =$1200.65 per head sold in Ft.pierre S.D. on friday I'd take that kinda money and run. Feeding them your self is over $2.00 per head per day in feed cost alone

Actually at $2 a day in feed costs, that would be pretty cheap! Have to keep in mind at 3.7 lbs of gain a day and the Aug board at 1.3, you are gaining about $4.8 per day on revenue.

I have been retaining ownership on everything the past 15 years and recently have been having them custom fed. Made money every time so far. Couple years ago it was about a wash. Last year I took the tail end of the heifers that I didn't think were good enough to make cows for me and they graded 100% choice and prime and gained about 3.5 day. Over 52 premium on those helped quite a bit.

I bought some customer calves for several years in a row and did very well on them having them custom fed. Sure the feed man and the feedlot get their money first, but that is the way agriculture is these days. It looks like to me that the really good cattle are being undervalued in the salebarn compared to the rest of the cattle. Most of the time cattle are bought based on averages of COG and ADG and FG and if you have cattle that can beat the averages you can make some money feeding your own or having them custom fed. The last couple years, I didn't buy these customer calves, because I thought they were plenty high and looking back now, given what I know about them, I could have made money on them. I remember the first load I fed and the feedlot manager told me to not tell the guy who raised them about how well they did and next year to just go buy them no matter what they brought. I realize that it isn't for everyone, but keep an open mind.

:agree: Nicely stated.

SMN Herf said:

but you told him tho right?

Latest posts