• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

RFID subsidy??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
I am led to believe that there will be a new gov't program that provides up to 50% funding for "registered slaughter and processing plants, sales barns,auction markets, stockyards, veterinarians, universities, pathology labs, mobile butchers and deadstock operators" to purchase RFID readers.
Makes me kinda grumpy. No one offered to help pay for my bar code tags, and when the powers that be decided they were no longer good noone offered to help pay for the RFID tags either. To say nothing of the related costs of putting them in.
Anyone else heard of this?

a week ago when i was in a vet supply store they told me the rfid tags had gone from $62 to $82 for a 25 pack. myabe that will help subsidize the tag companies anyway.

At that price, I'd hate to have a pile of calves to tag! I have a whole bag of CCIA tags that I haven't used yet. Can I still?

I believe that you don't have to use the RFID tags untill sept. 06??? I bought out as many old tags as I could this year. Other people had the same idea, as I could only buy 300 of them- and they stopped making them. With the RFID tags, at $3.00 a crack plus another $1.40 for a blank tag, things are getting pricey. I may put RFID in at weaning /preg check time, but only if it looks like there is a monetary incentive to do so. I guess next year I will be forced to, though. It really burns me up that the producers have to have all this extra expense. Sure, age verification sounds great, but it is just another burden on the producer, with a 99% chance of not getting any extra money for the extra cost and work. Now they want to subsidize the auction mart for a reader? What about the 15 - $20.00 they get off me everytime I sell a critter through them? :mad:

Make Sure your Buyer's pay for that data as they use it for their use.Can you use a RFID bolus in Canada or do they limit everyone to RFID and Barcoded tags.

PORKER said:
Make Sure your Buyer's pay for that data as they use it for their use.Can you use a RFID bolus in Canada or do they limit everyone to RFID and Barcoded tags.

The CCIA only recognizes the RFID ear tags (buttons actually). Bolus and implant RFIDs are not recognized so far.

Latest posts