• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Rib or hip brand ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Does anyone do shoulder brands? If so I assume thats similar to a hip brand and if not why?
The guy I mentioned in another post ended up with a shoulder brand. It is 3 figures stack one above another. A lot of brand to put on a young calf.

Dont know anybody who uses a shoulder brand. I figured there was a reason for it so I didn't even look at them for availability.

Probably varies depending on what kind of chute you have, but like Big Muddy indicated, shoulder brands can be tough to apply in my chute for small calves. Anything over 4-weights and they're just as easy as a hip brand to apply and I actually prefer them.

Our brand is CC, second C is hanging from the top C, so called a C hanging C. Mr. FH likes it because it is really one iron, easily put on and really easy to see on the cows when you are horseback. It never blotches.
We have Lazy K X, laying down K with X underneath, it's a rib brand but we are going to sell it. We also have Mr. FH grandfathers brand, X Tuning fork, looks like and X with a modified Y underneath, rib brand also. But we will never sell that, it will be passed on down.
Best rib brand we know is a Dutch X. Kind of like a C back to back and when the cow matures it goes from top to belly of the cow. But the owner switched to a hip brand long ago because there was some resistance to it, due to damage of the hide.
Actually owning a brand is something I never heard of.
Down here in Texas you register your brand for 10 years,
In Texas brands have to be re-registered every 10 years. Brand re-registration always begins in the year ending with a 1. For example, the next brand re-registration period begins Aug. 31, 2011, and closes Feb. 29, 2012. If you do not re-register within that period, then your brand is up for grabs by someone else.
I think the last time I registered ours it cost $5.00.
Another thing, if you have a registered brand or mark it has to be used.
This stops people registering a brand or mark just to say that they have one.

Actually owning a brand is something I never heard of.
Down here in Texas you register your brand for 10 years,
In Texas brands have to be re-registered every 10 years. Brand re-registration always begins in the year ending with a 1. For example, the next brand re-registration period begins Aug. 31, 2011, and closes Feb. 29, 2012. If you do not re-register within that period, then your brand is up for grabs by someone else.
I think the last time I registered ours it cost $5.00.
Another thing, if you have a registered brand or mark it has to be used.
This stops people registering a brand or mark just to say that they have one.
$300 to register a brand in WY for 10 years!!
We own them and we can sell them.

Oregon it is $100 for four years. Back when I was trying to get a brand registered I was talking to a brand inspecter. He said that there is something like 16,000 brands registered in the state. That is a whole lot more brands registered than people who own cattle.

$300 to register a brand in WY for 10 years!!
We own them and we can sell them.
Is the brand registered for the whole state or just the county you live in.
In Texas the brand is only registered for the county, someone in the next county can have the same brand. So it is advised to register your brand in all surrounding counties.

As far as I know Texas is the only state that does county brand registration. I know that Washington and Oregon, the two states I have had brands in, it is state wide.

I have been buying some one and done broken mouth cows. I haven't worked them yet. Got to wait for a dry day. There is one of these cows with a rib brand which must have been applied as a very small calf. It seems to take up her entire side. It is a right rib brand. I have a right rib brand. Haven't had her in the chute yet but just from looking I am wondering where am I going to fit my brand on her?

Use My great grand fathers backward B over a bar, on the bulls and steers , use a quarter circle over II on cows and heifers , should waddle out the forehead with this brand , just can't bring myself to do the skinning , Daughter and SIL uses my Dads brand , a U with a barr off the top left side of the U with a quarter circle under the U. All 3 brand are left rib.

Latest posts