• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

right rear foot problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hay Feeder

Reaction score
several cows and calves have swelled right rear feet
like foot rot
factors that could be related standing in a pond and sprayed weeds with grazon
but why is it only the right rear foot
we had horse fly issue as well

one cow or calf every couple of days

Need more information. How many right hind foot problems out of how many cattle?

Is there a high hill in the middle of the pasture, that they tend to walk around in a circle? If they always made a clockwise circle, the right hind foot would stand most of the stress.

Are they genetically predisposed to being "right hind footed"?

Have you recently worked them, and perhaps there is an imperfection on the right rear corner of your squeeze chute causing that foot to be injured?

Are there leprechauns or gremlins that inhabit your pasture?

Is there a one-horned billy goat that for pleasure likes to hook the right hind feet of cattle?

Could there be a one-eyed snarling dog in the area that molests and attacks the right hind feet of livestock?

Are your cattle Liberal or Conservative? If they are conservative, the right side of them is doing all the work, which could cause the problem.

The possibilities are endless, which is why we need more information to solve your problem. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
Need more information. How many right hind foot problems out of how many cattle?

Is there a high hill in the middle of the pasture, that they tend to walk around in a circle? If they always made a clockwise circle, the right hind foot would stand most of the stress.

Have you recently worked them, and perhaps there is an imperfection on the right rear corner of your squeeze chute causing that foot to be injured?

Is there a one-horned billy goat that for pleasure likes to hook the right hind feet of cattle?

Could there be a one-eyed snarling dog in the area that molests and attacks the right hind feet of livestock?

Are your cattle Liberal or Conservative? If they are conservative, the right side of them is doing all the work, which could cause the problem.

The possibilities are endless, which is why we need more information to solve your problem. :wink: :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

I have a cow and a 600lb feeder calf with the same thing. Watch yours and see if they do what mine have done. I thought it was foot rot and treated as such. Now, there's something, about 6 inches up from the hoof line that looks like an abscess opening up. I wondering if it's a snake bite.

A cow walking west in an eastbound cowpath will cause problems with the right rear feet.

Just the opposite with the left feet.

Making them walk backwards in that path is the only way to cure it. :wink:

Soapweed said:

That's some good stuff Soap! :lol: Your mind never stops working.

Seeing it on the left foot now on baby calves.
I forgot we brush hogged and dozed down some thorn bushes and trees on this pasture. Cattle on other pastures are ok.
They are all on vitaferm mineral. Treated some with Kopper Tox the real bad ones in two weeks they are ok.

From what I've read about fescue foot, it's more of a winter/cold weather problem. There's little fescue around here. Can't say for Hay Feeder. Draxxin didn't do much for either the cow or calf. I've been giving the cow sulfapills crushed over cubes and re-treated the calf with Resflor-Gold. The calf's hide on his leg has split from the swelling. Swelling is down now and the Resflor looks like it's helping as he will put weight on it. There's a break at the hairline that's draining. Strange deal. A real quinkidink.

what you are seeing is an infection brought on by the lack of circulation due to the toxins in the fescue. ( if it is" fescue foot". ) The right rear foot is the place it will show up first 99% of the time. ( Farthest from heart? ) Hide splitting at hair line of hoof is typical. If it goes too long the hoof will fall completely off. EARLY treatment with LA 200 is very successful. When caught at the very first sign of lameness, before swelling has occurred, one dose will clear up the infection. Solution is to cull any beast that is not tolerant of your environment

Thanks Mo Stocker. It's in a last calf heifer and a 600lb feeder steer. These two were miles apart in different pastures. The feeder calf does have a crack at the left front hoof and hair line. It's draining. I have him in a pen close to the chute so I can treat him with little movement on his part. The cow is in my fall herd and she has recently calved but she won't make the winter the shape she is in and she's too poor to take to town. Her right rear is affected. If this is fescue foot, it's my first encounter with it. You'd think after 60 years of doing this, I'd have run across it before. :shock: Oh well..never too old to learn.

we are treating it with koper tox and la 300
fyi fecuse foot has really been controlled in this area for the past 20 years

This how FF is controlled
do not trade cattle for other places
keep cattle on the same rotational grazing pasture
clip seed heads on brush hog pastures
over seed with legumes
use a local sold pasture fertilizer a lime mix granular
keep high sel mineral out

these cows have been on this place since heifers
we also
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WE SPARYED WITH GRAZON and was told that it would not effect but the spary dirifted to the ponds made the water yellow
also I dozed and brush hogged thorn trees and sprouts

This is a rough hilly rocky pasture

Hay Feeder said:
we are treating it with koper tox and la 300
fyi fecuse foot has really been controlled in this area for the past 20 years

This how FF is controlled
do not trade cattle for other places
keep cattle on the same rotational grazing pasture
clip seed heads on brush hog pastures
over seed with legumes
use a local sold pasture fertilizer a lime mix granular
keep high sel mineral out

these cows have been on this place since heifers
we also
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WE SPARYED WITH GRAZON and was told that it would not effect but the spary dirifted to the ponds made the water yellow
also I dozed and brush hogged thorn trees and sprouts

This is a rough hilly rocky pasture
So why did you ask the question if you know the answer?

Latest posts