• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

River Rat is elbow deep about now

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
He and the crew are in the middle of a 2 day AI marathon right now. Their plan was to breed about 530 head of heifers. I've heard of tennis elbow before but never heard of breeders elbow. :shock: :lol:

Big Swede said:
He and the crew are in the middle of a 2 day AI marathon right now. Their plan was to breed about 530 head of heifers. I've heard of tennis elbow before but never heard of breeders elbow. :shock: :lol:

Those calves are going to come pretty early, in the cold part of the winter. :wink: At least they picked very nice weather for this part of their endeavor. :)

The crew from 2 to 4 technicians, and 4 others to help load straws and move heifers through completed our mission at 2 p.m. yesterday afternoon. We bred 200 heifers of our own, 92 of our heifers we sold to the feedlot operator, and 250 for a rancher and freind from Nebraska. We pulled heats and bred the first groups at 60 hrs., the second and largest groups at 72 hrs., and the last groups at 80 hrs. There were less than 15 head total out of all the heifers that hadn't been in standing so we are all hoping for a successful result. It was alot of work, but since we were set up it just made sense to do them all while we were there as it is 100 miles from home. I slept really well last night, and other than a tender left forearm I'm no worse for the wear.

They were fed M.G.A. for fourteen days, then we waited 19 days and gave them Estrumate, and then when we A.I.ed them we gave Cysterlin which is a type of G.N.R.H. This is the first time that I've sychronized the whole group in a number of years, and the only reason we did it this year was lack of feed to keep them over the winter. After we sent them to a feedlot 100 miles away, this was the only way to get them bred to the bulls we wanted, with the distance it only made sense to do it this way. The heifers were fed a 42 megacalorie ration until the middle of December, and they've been on 36 Megs since. They average 900 pounds, which is 150 pounds more than if I would have hay fed them through winter, but they aren't fat, just in real good condition. I sure hope it works out. By the way Big Swede, the golfing elbow feels just fine. :D :D

Latest posts