• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Road Trip

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Ok as some of ya'll know we took a road trip this last week. To Lake Brownwood/Abilene. As we were leaving home I spotted the first roadkill critter and went to diggin for pencil and paper. Thought we might as well try n pass the time by counting, countin license plates n road signs gets boring, so we tried this game. hehe Here's the results:
1 possum
3 snakes
1 Doggy
2 kitties
1 Mockingbird
2 Buzzards
10 Armadillos
11 Coons
2 Squirrels
4 Deer
4 Rabbits
2 Coyotes
1 Chicken Hawk
1 turtle
2 Badgers
5 Two toned Pussies with fluid drives
18 USA's (Unidentifiably Smushed Animals)

13 1/2 Asphalt Alligators
1 dead oil filter
1 dead lazy boy recliner
and a near death experience for a brand new box fan on/off a trailer in front of us.
And nope none of em were kilt by my big green dually. (this time)

Crazy...when I drive back to Schleicher County I have to break heard just to miss from hitting them....them and the deer and the Buzzards. Lots of turkeys in that area. I bet if i counted in just the 2 hour drive I'd see 12 or more dead deer and prolly that many buzzards. The Turkeys are a lot, but don't get hit that often.

The drive from Bakersfield to Girvin off of I-10 when we go home...usually git there about 2 am in the mornin..I think it's maybe bout 15 miles we counted 176 jack rabbits one night......n a few of them weren't so lucky...duals plays heck with jack rabbits.
When we lived out there we usta go out towards Imperial n go turkey huntin... that's prolly the last time I seen a wild turkey other than the 8 or so my dad in law hatched out n brought to east texas n turned out here at the house.. for a while there was one hen that kept comin back to the house but haven't seen her in 7 or 8 years now..occasionally hear one gobble out in the woods tho.

When it gets cold out I like a little Wild Turkey (101) but if you get to much you wakeup in a tree at roost. :twisted:

Faster horses said:
uhhhhhhhh...

What is an asphalt alligator?

Where I come from that is the rubber off a tractor-trailer that had a blow out. They will reach out and bite you.

Well, that was some sad reading. I hate to see a lazy boy recliner die.

yeah me too nr....I thought lazy boys lasted forever....but it looked like roadkill.

and yes...an asphalt alligator is the rubber off of a tire....when they blow out n sling the tread off.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
yeah me too nr....I thought lazy boys lasted forever....but it looked like roadkill.

and yes...an asphalt alligator is the rubber off of a tire....when they blow out n sling the tread off.

Lilly,when you drive thru the hill country,you could mutiply that deer count by 10,even in this drought every doe I see has twins,sure makes it hard to travel at sun up and nites................good luck

One time about thirty years ago, an article in the Rapid City paper told of a pickup wreck during the dark of night. The driver of the pickup thought he saw two jack-rabbits on the road ahead. He gunned the pickup hoping to run over both rabbits with one swipe. Alas, it turned out to be a black horse with two stocking legs. The horse perished, and the pickup was totaled. The driver survived and hopefully soaked up a bit of knowledge from spending tuition at the school of hard knocks. :?

Soapweed said:
One time about thirty years ago, an article in the Rapid City paper told of a pickup wreck during the dark of night. The driver of the pickup thought he saw two jack-rabbits on the road ahead. He gunned the pickup hoping to run over both rabbits with one swipe. Alas, it turned out to be a black horse with two stocking legs. The horse perished, and the pickup was totaled. The driver survived and hopefully soaked up a bit of knowledge from spending tuition at the school of hard knocks. :?

Amazing he told that story on himself! Must have been AFTER the car insurance company paid up.

Latest posts