• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Roans for Big Muddy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
These are especially for Big Muddy, However the rest of you can look if you want.

You kind of have to stretch you imagination Big Muddy, to make all of them Red Roans, but it's the best I can do.

It is great to see those photo's! There are dates on some and makes me wonder, what is the time span of your photography of the wild horses? This group, and all of it. How many do you have? Even a wild guess?

And the q. that exposes my ignorance of horse gear: would you explain what is on your horse, and the purpose of each part. Just guessing it has to do with rough country and keeping horse and rider comfortable and safe??

Thanks for the photo tour.

mrj

mrj said:
It is great to see those photo's! There are dates on some and makes me wonder, what is the time span of your photography of the wild horses? This group, and all of it. How many do you have? Even a wild guess?

And the q. that exposes my ignorance of horse gear: would you explain what is on your horse, and the purpose of each part. Just guessing it has to do with rough country and keeping horse and rider comfortable and safe??

Thanks for the photo tour.

mrj

We started chasing mustangs with a camera in 2004. I'd guess I have over 20,000 pictures, only because I don't delete
the bad ones. I figure when I get too old to go out there, I can just look at the pictures I have.

As for the tack, I'm guessing you mean the breast collar for holding the saddle from sliding back on the up hill and the britchen, which holds the saddle from sliding ahead on the down hill. Britchens are more commonly used on work horse harneses. Years ago, I gulled my horse on a long down hill ride and promised my horse I'd never do that again. If there is something I missed, let me know.

Thanks for the great roan pictures.

My sister had a Blue roan mare called Miss Alberta, Our bay stud Bear Trap threw a couple roan foals.
Beaver Trap a real stout gentle gelding and a tall long traveling mare, Bear's Roan Lady. Man she could travel, I started her bareback, never barn sour or herd bound, Just a real honest horse. Dad sold her while I was away at college, Guess I always had another one to break.

Thanks for the explanation of your horses' tack, mustang. I couldn't recall the name "britchen" for that piece on the back. Your explanation makes sense.

I sort of remember it from my grandpa Calhoons' draft horses which were still on the ranch after he died. Guess everyone was afraid to sell them! I know they did fear another bad blizzard like the one in '49, and we did get one in '52, and it was earlier that year that he died, so he was right......again! The draft horses were helpful then. And we did recently see some snow shoes for horses which helped them travel when snow conditions were just right. They would have been useful for us just a few years ago.......when we got a blizzard that even our shod horses could not travel in. Snow built up and caused them to stumble and fall. We lost every calf born that day, probably the biggest day of our calving season. Tractors, pickups, saddle horses all were helpless. Hope we never go through that again! That was one time where calving in muddy corrals may have been better than on the clean prairie grass, but over the past 125 years, it has only happened that one time, for us.

I sure do hope you are finding some time to organize your photo's. I'd even keep the bad ones because often there is some good element in each one of those, unless they aren't visible at all. And I REALLY hope you are preserving and/or sharing them with someone or some place for posterity. I just don't know of any other record of that sort, but of course there could be......someplace. I can't believe any are as authentic or have followed the same bands in that beautiful, if stark, terrain.

I should talk, our 60+ years of photo's are totally not organized! But our grand dau.in law is going to force me into helping her do it, and put them on computer. Achieving that will be the major 'celebration' of our 60 years marriage and 125 years of origin of our ranch, which is now three different ranches, tho we have some of the original one, buying more land to support five families of our fourth, fifth, and sixth generation 'branch'.

mrj

Latest posts